HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2012, 06:27 AM
good till the first drop
michigan usa
Joined Jan 2005
607 Posts
I have a 9303 jr. With spec mod and i did have to bind my plane to time so far and it was had to bind
lesodell is offline Find More Posts by lesodell
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 07:32 AM
The Netherlands, NH, Zandvoort
Joined Mar 2011
81 Posts
Has anyone used the mCPx lipo mod yet? I have a ton of those 1cell lipo's. I just ordered this.
http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.p...roducts_id=251

Now i can use the 300Mah Nanotech's
Jantjezandje is offline Find More Posts by Jantjezandje
Old Jul 12, 2012, 07:48 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn View Post
I have $200. Should I buy this or a small deep freeze?
Well,

The MiG is a lot easier to fly than a deep-freeze, and it doesn't need anywhere near as much runway! On the other hand, the MiG is a bit shy on cubic footage to serve as a small deep-freeze, and you'd have to make a door for it.

I'd go for the MiG.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2012, 08:01 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,529 Posts
Hey Joel, how do the TP 325 packs fit into the migs battery tray? Do they stick out? To far for safe belly landings? How about the Hyp320s? Basically I'm looking for a few packs that I can use on both my CC and the Mig.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jul 12, 2012, 08:28 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Hey Joel, how do the TP 325 packs fit into the migs battery tray? Do they stick out? To far for safe belly landings? How about the Hyp320s? Basically I'm looking for a few packs that I can use on both my CC and the Mig.

-Brian
Brian,

Both packs fit fine, but they do protrude a couple millimeters or so below the belly. In my hand-launch video, I was flying with a TP 325. Belly-landing was no problem. No grass-stains or debris on the pack, so I don't think it'll be an issue - provided that one uses proper attitude management during the landing. If I remember correctly, someone (Nitro?) mentioned that there is room to make the slot deeper. If so, it may be possible to recess the Hyp 320 & TP 325 packs. I mounted the packs as far aft as possible, and the CG seemed to be OK. Maybe just a tad nose-heavy, but not enough to negatively affect flight-performance.

BTW - others who have watched my battery comparison video also thought that the TP 325 had the edge in vertical performance over the Hyp 240 & 320 packs. Also - the TP 325 has a distinct edge over the others in the Gee Bee. It even out-performed the Hyp 450 in that app. I'll be flying the TP 325s in the Mig, CC, Gee Bee, and Blade 130X. Just ordered an additional 6 TP packs from RCBabbel.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2012, 08:43 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Brian,

Both packs fit fine, but they do protrude a couple millimeters or so below the belly. In my hand-launch video, I was flying with a TP 325. Belly-landing was no problem. No grass-stains or debris on the pack, so I don't think it'll be an issue - provided that one uses proper attitude management during the landing. If I remember correctly, someone (Nitro?) mentioned that there is room to make the slot deeper. If so, it may be possible to recess the Hyp 320 & TP 325 packs. I mounted the packs as far aft as possible, and the CG seemed to be OK. Maybe just a tad nose-heavy, but not enough to negatively affect flight-performance.

BTW - others who have watched my battery comparison video also thought that the TP 325 had the edge in vertical performance over the Hyp 240 & 320 packs. Also - the TP 325 has a distinct edge over the others in the Gee Bee. It even out-performed the Hyp 450 in that app. I'll be flying the TP 325s in the Mig, CC, Gee Bee, and Blade 130X. Just ordered an additional 6 TP packs from RCBabbel.

Joel
Ah so you're the reason he's out of them!
They fit well in the CC as well or do I have to enlarge the slot at the bottom? Regardless I think I'll be ordering a couple for the Mig.
Have you seen erkq's Post? I bet this would fix your Mig for 3S performance!!

-Brian
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:03 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
Ah so you're the reason he's out of them!
They fit well in the CC as well or do I have to enlarge the slot at the bottom? Regardless I think I'll be ordering a couple for the Mig.
Have you seen erkq's Post? I bet this would fix your Mig for 3S performance!!

-Brian
Brian,

The TP 325s fit the CC's battery compartment without modification. On my airframe, they end up just a few millimeters from the rear of the compartment to get the CG right.

Yes, I read Erkq's post with keen interest! Given that there is no airflow to the MiG's brick, one would be essentially relying on radiant cooling effects. Not sure if that would be enough - considering how quickly mine went into OTP, even after a part-throttle takeoff. I might have to try the heat-sinks just to see if they work. I'd really like to fly the MiG on 3s, but I am not willing to give up AS3X to do it.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:20 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,190 Posts
Joel, don't forget the VR has a thermal cut-out built into it too. If your going to pop the hood, you may as well do it properly and install a separate ESC (I suggest a 10A since there's no cooling so it will give you plenty of room). Run the throttle into CH5 and take the signal from there.
The only problem is the Mig shakes badly in flight on 3S at WOT. The gyro's aren't set up for that speed and over correct, especially the rudder.

Also, as an added bonus, the external ESC I just fitted runs the EDF faster.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:45 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Another canadian flying russian, yeah! Congrat for the maiden. Seem like they really changed something in the binding procedure isn't it? Well, as long as it stay binded, I guess it's something they did because of DSMX and in the onboard microcontroller.

Flying with an "old" DSM2 Tx or a newer DSMX Tx? I have a DX7 (DSM2) and I'm now wondering if people who fly with the newer DSMX Tx had the same odd binding problem.
ha hell yea!!
thanks RG, yea im not sure on the binding! yes! as long as it stays bound im happy!
I'm using DX7s
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:48 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Joel, don't forget the VR has a thermal cut-out built into it too. If your going to pop the hood, you may as well do it properly and install a separate ESC (I suggest a 10A since there's no cooling so it will give you plenty of room). Run the throttle into CH5 and take the signal from there.
The only problem is the Mig shakes badly in flight on 3S at WOT. The gyro's aren't set up for that speed and over correct, especially the rudder.

Also, as an added bonus, the external ESC I just fitted runs the EDF faster.
Nitro,

Good points - thanks! Erkq also put a heat-sink on the regulator, as he ran into full brick shut-down after heat-sinking the ESC. I thought about using an external ESC on ch 5, but I was concerned about the additional weight & getting the CG right. How much does the 10A ESC that you're using weigh, and do you think there's room to mount it where it won't affect the CG too much?

I was wondering about how the MiG's gains would work out at higher speeds. When I switched to 3s on my Beast 3D, I had all pushrods in their innermost holes. I observed some gain-induced aileron oscillation @ WOT. I moved the aileron pushrods out one hole, which effectively reduced the gain enough to solve the problem on my airframe. The aileron pusrhods are already in the outermost holes on the MiG, but the rudder & elevator pushrods could be moved out one hole, which would effectively reduce the gain. Hopefully, one of the downloadable generic programs will have gain settings that are better-suited for high-speed flight. Something like 'pylon racer', perhaps?

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:32 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,529 Posts
Quote:
Brian,

The TP 325s fit the CC's battery compartment without modification. On my airframe, they end up just a few millimeters from the rear of the compartment to get the CG right.

Yes, I read Erkq's post with keen interest! Given that there is no airflow to the MiG's brick, one would be essentially relying on radiant cooling effects. Not sure if that would be enough - considering how quickly mine went into OTP, even after a part-throttle takeoff. I might have to try the heat-sinks just to see if they work. I'd really like to fly the MiG on 3s, but I am not willing to give up AS3X to do it.

Joel
I just did a 15 second mod to fix the lack of airflow. I poked two small holes one on each side of the cockpit canopy where the gray rear "pillar" is. I used a standard round toothpick and pushed it into the hole enlarging the hole and I pushed the front of the tooth down towards the nose this stretched the plastic very slightly and also slightly pushed down the area in front of the hole. This created two tiny scoops, one on each side. the right one is almost directly above the ESC FETs

Even though they are small I'm hoping that with the ram air style scoops and the hole for the motor wires being behind the fan acting as suction, there will be better cooling on the brick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Heck my tail shakes on 2S in a power on dive to high speed pass!

Quote:
I was wondering about how the MiG's gains would work out at higher speeds. When I switched to 3s on my Beast 3D, I had all pushrods in their innermost holes. I observed some gain-induced aileron oscillation @ WOT. I moved the aileron pushrods out one hole, which effectively reduced the gain enough to solve the problem on my airframe. The aileron pushrods are already in the outermost holes on the MiG, but the rudder & elevator pushrods could be moved out one hole, which would effectively reduce the gain. Hopefully, one of the downloadable generic programs will have gain settings that are better-suited for high-speed flight. Something like 'pylon racer', perhaps?

Joel
I too hope that HH releases a better suited gain program for the Mig's rudder. Hopefully they'll have a program v1.1 for the Mig with the same gains on ail and elev but maybe only 1/2 on the tail.

-Brian
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:34 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,333 Posts
Quote:
So today at my flying field one of the guys had the Sabre out. So I got out the mig and walked over and we organized a dogfight! As soon as people saw these two planes out everyone got quiet and waited for the main event. I could probably tell a 4 page story about the 2:30min flight but I'll just sum up.

Top speed is nearly identical. Mig might have 1-2mph advantage. Straight and level no one really pulled away.
Mig had a slight advantage in maneuverability. Turns were sharper and smoother and I easily carried more energy. The Sabre could do the full throttle to dance/flip maneuver which was interesting looking.
F-86 seemed to have the climb rate advantage. He figured this out early and every time I got behind him he pulled it vertical and I ran out of steam and couldn't follow.
Not part of the dogfight but the Mig handles MUCH better when slow than the F-86. His landing was about 2x as fast as mine simply because the low speed handling is not there on the Sabre.

Bottom line the planes were VERY evenly matched. Both are great planes, however I'm glad I got the Mig and I'd definitely choose that one again.
*edit: I forgot to mention both planes flying completely stock, gear removed, stock packs.

And the dogfight, of course I won
-Brian
That's very interesting. With the full size Mig and Sabre the opposite was true. The Mig had a better climb rate, while the Sabre could turn better.

Has anyone tried the skylipo 250mah 25C? Those look good at $4.86 each!
Cheese5 is online now Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:02 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Flew the Mig again this morning. First thing I had to do was re-bind it since it did loose the bind overnight, in the box... Very scary, it does look like the CC too much. But hopefully, it's only something that is happening with DSM2 Tx only... After binding, no problems flying it, non-stop through 16 batteries!!!!

No more flutter on the rudder, but the ailerons flutter was still there every now and then, even with a good C.G.... It's minimal, but the Mig look so good/scale in the air, the last thing you want is some wobbling. After all, one of the goal of AS3X is to make it look even better, scale wise, so I'm not too keen about this. But over all, still like it a lot. Come to think of it, my usual spot may not be even long enough for take-off!!! (and I was worrying about landings!)

Out of those flights, I spent some time doing high speed passes while doing some video. Just did a RC Speedo on those videos, and here's my finding:

Mig 15, with wheels, temperature 70 degre F (21C). Just a couple hundred feets above sea level. Going both ways to eliminate wind, but there's wasn't truly much wind, so results were pretty much the same both ways, which is good. Used RCSpeedo, which I normally don't like, but results were very consistent, even with my relatively quiet Mig.

With stock E-Flite battery that came with it (only 3 cycles), I got seven very good passes, that gave me an average of 30.5mph

With Hyperion 240mah (not home made packs, straight from factory), about 30 cycles, I also got seven very good passes, that gave me an average of 35.3mph (passes were a bit less consistent, but still good)

With NanoTech 180mah, getting close to 100 cycles, and using two differents packs, I got 11 passes, which gave me an average of 33.1mph. One pack gave me slightly better results than the other, but those packs have been to war and back a few times and abused too many times!

So, the E-Flite pack is really good. Yes, it's the slowest, but with only 3 cycles, it should still improve and should get closer to the other two. WTG E-Flite!. The Hyperion gave me the best results, but those packs are almost in their sweet spot. 30 cycles, and never abused. The NanoTech did pretty good, and for the price, I still think it's a great deal.

So, overall, about 33mph for the Mig, with wheels, and in relatively typical conditions. I believe I can trust RCSpeedo on this one (I may check it with better doppler software later on). I usually don't trust RCSpeedo much, but the results were so consistent, I'm suddenly liking this app VERY MUCH! . No wild speed recorded ever. I'll have to use that software more often from now on.

Next step: Removing the wheels.... It's against all fibers of my body, but this will allow me to fly it in my usual park, so, afterall, I may like this! I'm expecting quite a few more mph without the wheels. It's very windy right now, so hopefully, tomorrow morning.

Currently charging my batteries, almost one by one, so I can get some accurate data. All my flights were 3 minutes pretty sharp. So, more data to follow!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:05 AM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
665 Posts
To enter bind mode it only takes a few seconds with the transmitter off.

If you do not have your transmitter bound and ready before you plug the plane in, it will re enter bind mode. Simply unplug the plane and plug it back in as it will not release the bind.
ryan_t888 is offline Find More Posts by ryan_t888
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:20 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
That's very interesting. With the full size Mig and Sabre the opposite was true. The Mig had a better climb rate, while the Sabre could turn better.

Has anyone tried the skylipo 250mah 25C? Those look good at $4.86 each!
Yeah that is kinda ironic. I know the little Sabre has a three blade fan with bigger blades and a large(er than scale) wide open front end. I bet this is allowing it to get a little better thrust under load.
The Mig turns better because the airfoil is so much more efficient than that under-camber on the F-86.

RG: Looking forward to see how many mAh you put back on all those packs. This is making me really want to get some BB TP 325 65C packs. Just hope the CG doesn't move forward to much. Also I'm guessing at least 6mph level speed increase with the gear off, probably 10 out of a dive.

Pics of my cooling mod:

-Brian