HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:43 AM
This thing runs real nice...
Joined Jun 2012
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post

The MiG is an excellent flier! She's smooth as butter, she tracks as if on rails, and feels rock-solid in flight.

I could easily spend an afternoon just shooting touch & goes with this plane!

I'll shoot some video with the TP 325 pack tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to getting some more stick-time on the plane!
Likewise TP nice work. Know exactly what you mean about doing Touch & Goes all day long.

I used a 300 mah pack today and it was great - didn't really notice any problems with the "extra weight" and the longer flying time was a real bonus.

Very interested to hear your thoughts on the big TP 325 pack - I'm expecting you'll have good results too.
Nam Lemmi is offline Find More Posts by Nam Lemmi
Last edited by Nam Lemmi; Jul 10, 2012 at 07:44 AM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:53 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,534 Posts
Got my maiden in yesterday. Straight as an arrow on a hand launch. No trim needed. Put the gear back on and flew it again later at the High School parking lot going easy on the throttle. It tracks very nicely. Switched to high rates because it felt like I was always running out of elevator. I put all the rate settings on the DX8 Flight Mode switch and I'm going to up the low elevate rate. Both a touch-n-go and my landing were huge bouncers. The stock battery seems fine. I'll give a Hyperion 180 pack a try next. It already has plenty of speed for me on 2s.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:03 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,181 Posts
The only 'results' you will have using larger packs is longer flight times. I did state that I tested the 180, 200, 240, 300 and 325's in the Mig and there was no thrust increase, just flight time increase.

Stryker, Kalmon also had tape blocking the exit and was why it affected his thrust so much.

I found the landing gear really slowed down my Mig.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:15 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
I personally had a great performance increase by fixing the aileron wires. Glad to see you took it apart to fix it.

I fly mine on 3S 180 packs now. The performance is much better. I no longer need to hand launch and belly land to get stryker speeds, in fact no its faster even with the gear on! Just watch the brick heat.

-Brian
No external esc?
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:19 AM
Bombs Away...
United States, MI, Lambertville
Joined Nov 2009
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyardflyer View Post
One thing I found out about adding servo covers is my backyard runway had to be extended from 30 feet to 40 feet using the same stock batteries.

The servos are mounted ahead of the C/G so the covers, even if only 1 gram each, add to being more nose heavy.

At least I'm back in the air again!
thanks for the tip!
AL1EN is offline Find More Posts by AL1EN
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:21 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roly72 View Post
Brain, what are you flight times on 3S?
on a 3S 180 I'm getting about 2.5 - 3 min with throttle management, Actually it is not much shorter than the stock 2S 200mAh as you'll get less Amp draw for the same thrust as the voltage is higher. The hard part is not using all the extra available thrust. I'm leaving the gear on though so with the added drag the throttle might be a little higher than if it was clean. It is a tight squeeze width-wise to get the pack to fit so I doubt a 240 would fit, however there is TONS of room length-wise. maybe a longer 3S pack would be the ticket for longer flights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
The only 'results' you will have using larger packs is longer flight times. I did state that I tested the 180, 200, 240, 300 and 325's in the Mig and there was no thrust increase, just flight time increase.

Stryker, Kalmon also had tape blocking the exit and was why it affected his thrust so much.

Yeah but make sure you look carefully as all of the aileron wires are taped, mine just happened to be pulled away where the tape was so the tape was blocking the flow as well. At first I didn't see it, the tape they use it really transparent. I only noticed it because after 2 flights there was a small piece of cut grass stuck to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
No external esc?
Nope the stock ESC seems to be up to the task. Many people flying the B3D on 3S with 0 reported failures. Might expect a little shorter lifespan on the brick. More than worth the risk for the increase in performance.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:24 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,181 Posts
If you throw the impeller running on 3S, it's a great sign the motor got really hot as it is only press fitted on.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:17 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Quote:
Video's are coming thick and fast from you guys now!

Here's my rear facing onboard camera flight from this weekend.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g8-izci0ig

Nitro - was this flight on a 3S or 2S pack?

For those of you who have reported creasing in the horizontal stabilizer, are you getting that from flight stress or "creative" landings? I noticed some flexing in the horizontal stab at 3.35 in this vid, was wondering if that was causing the creasing or not.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:33 AM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,200 Posts
Quote:
I am going to try out my Mig w/ no landing gear. I'll be landing in mostly grass w/ a few little rocks mixed in. What is everyone using to protect the belly? Tape? water based poly?
Thanks!
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:40 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Sweet video, Joel!

At the end, I was almost expecting the MiG to take a bow.

Maybe your landings are all so greased-in that this won't be an issue......but if you keep the LG on, be careful about bending the nose-gear wire. It's very brittle, and has broken-off for several of us when we tried to straighten-out a bend from a high-energy landing.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nam Lemmi View Post
Likewise TP nice work. Know exactly what you mean about doing Touch & Goes all day long.

I used a 300 mah pack today and it was great - didn't really notice any problems with the "extra weight" and the longer flying time was a real bonus.

Very interested to hear your thoughts on the big TP 325 pack - I'm expecting you'll have good results too.
Quote:
If you throw the impeller running on 3S, it's a great sign the motor got really hot as it is only press fitted on.
Dave,

Thanks! I have to say - the MiG maiden was one of the most uneventful I've had in recent memory. No trim, no surprises. This plane just wants to fly! Regarding my landings - well, they're not all greasers! For example - that first landing in my video was a real gear-slammer. Definitely well-beyond 'carrier-landing' status! Thanks for the tip. From now on, I will be more gentle on the nose-gear!

Nam,

Thanks! Regarding the TP 325 - my UMX Bee Bee testing showed a significant increase in net static thrust with the TP 325 65c pack. Enough that it noticeably outperformed my Hyp 450 25c packs in flight. It is now my favorite pack for the Gee Bee, Carbon Cub, and Blade 130X. Interestingly, Nitro didn't see any thrust increase with TP 325s in the MiG. Rather surprising, given that the MiG & Gee Bee draw similar amounts of current @ WOT. But that's one of the main reasons why I love this hobby. Every day, there are many opportunities to learn something new!

Nitro,

What happens to the airframe when a 28mm fan tosses the impeller at, say, somewhere around 100,000 RPM?

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jul 10, 2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:32 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F27QFlyer View Post
It's on the table, dead straight and it jitters MORE then when you turn the plane by hand, trying to get the rudder to move...
Just have to ask, are you holding the plane perfectly still for a while after plugging in the batt, allowing the gyros to get their bearings? Maybe you got a defective one. Call HH and see what they say.

Edit, just thought, no servos should start working on AS3X until you've bumped the throttle. Is it jittereing before AS3X is even active? Just some troubleshooting thoughts.
xmech2k is offline Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:39 AM
United States, FL, Lakeland
Joined Aug 2011
34 Posts
Landing Gears

Guys, i have about 15 flights on the Mig and love it. It is a little under powered though. I was wondering if there is a big difference between landing gears and no landing gears. I have only flown it with landing gears so far.

thanks!
Roly72 is online now Find More Posts by Roly72
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:46 AM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
For those of you who have reported creasing in the horizontal stabilizer, are you getting that from flight stress or "creative" landings?
It was creased out of the box for me. It is the weakest part of the air frame for sure.
ryan_t888 is offline Find More Posts by ryan_t888
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined Apr 2010
33 Posts
Quote:
Before you atart slicing things open - take it for a fly and see how she does. It should be OK. No-one seems to be trying to remove the motor wires from the exit area, do they?
Mine are in the duct area but it flies fine and therefore not going to be dissected until I need to get in there. I'll fix I then cause I'm having too much fun with it to take it apart.
hoovdog is offline Find More Posts by hoovdog
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:01 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Yeah, I'd been thinking that stab is weak, and also the elevator is kinda a weenie on the authority scale.
(For example, this afternoon I had trouble getting my MiG to finish pulling out of a WOT large loop.)
So I've added CF to the tail feathers.
I'll test it tomorrow.
Dave
Flew through six batteries this morning. All good.

The CF is an improvement, IMHO.

I also put a skinny bead of CA where the vertical and and horizontal stabs intersect. (Art-Tech MiG shown below.)

Dave

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam