HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:42 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,620 Posts
Maidened the MiG!

Got the maiden in just before dusk.

I maidened with a homebrew Hyp 240 pack. All control rods were in their original positions. I mechanically centered the control surfaces before the flight, and mounted my 14.5g homebrew Hyp 240 pack in the middle of the slot. No tx trim was required during the maiden, but I will be moving the rudder & elevator pushrods one hole inward for more throw.

The MiG is an excellent flier! She's smooth as butter, she tracks as if on rails, and feels rock-solid in flight. She definitely flies big. She feels more like the large-scale jets I've flown in RF than a 28mm foamie! With the gear on, she's not as fast as my Sbach w/5043 prop & TP 325 pack or my 3s B3D, but she's plenty fast for her size. Takeoffs are a breeze, aerobatic maneuvers look scale, and landings are sweet as honey. I could easily spend an afternoon just shooting touch & goes with this plane! The MiG is surprisingly agile - even at lower speeds. Climb performance is about what I had expected. Large loops & Cuban-8s are a blast, provided that a bit of energy-management is used. (Energy-management is considered to be an essential intermediate piloting skill, and the MiG will definitely help a pilot improve his/her energy-management skills.)

I'll shoot some video with the TP 325 pack tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to getting some more stick-time on the plane!

Unfortunately, the cam battery died during the maiden, so the video didn't turn out. Here's my second-ever DF flight. I was pretty much at WOT for most of the 3:50 flight. Charger put 184 mAh back in, which is a 77% discharge:

Eflite UMX MiG 15 - my second DF flight (4 min 51 sec)

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jul 10, 2012 at 01:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:20 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,194 Posts
Video's are coming thick and fast from you guys now!

Here's my rear facing onboard camera flight from this weekend.
E-Flite UMX Mig 15 DF rear onboard camera flight (6 min 3 sec)

NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:21 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Wish you had flown it stock first to compare. On the MiG vs F-86 thread someone asked about changing control horn settings. I haven't read up all the technical aspects of AS3X, but it seems to me that it senses an uncomanded change in attitude, then sends an appropriately proportional command to the flight controls to keep the plane straight, or get it back to straight or whatever position it was in. I've read the board is tuned to the airframe (MiG, Beast, Carbon Cub, etc.) so by changing the amount the servos move the flight controls, the board is now not tuned to that, and will affect how AS3X performs.

Whew! Sorry if that was longwinded! Don't know how else to describe it.
Actually, the Gee Bee & Carbon Cub use the Beast 3D's AS3X programming. The MiG uses airframe-specific AS3X settings. This has been verified by Horizon's Director of Aircraft Design. Many people have reported good results with the Beast 3D/Gee Bee/Carbon Cub brick (EFLU4864) in airframes as diverse as the UMX SBach and an F3P ship.

Many of us who have been flying AS3X-equipped planes since the beginning change the pushrod locations to suit our flying styles. Increasing control-throw effectively increases gyro gain. If carried too far, this can cause gain-induced oscillations (over-damping) on certain airframes. The Beast 3D doesn't exhibit any signs of over-damping, even with all throws maxed. In contrast - the CC exhibits signs of over-damping when the aileron pushrods are in the innermost holes. (This is likely because the Beast's gain settings are on the edge of being too aggressive for the CC's airframe-type.)

Fortunately, the MiG's brick (AS6410NBL) is programmable, and there will be enough downloadable programs with various gain settings to cover a wide range of conventional airframe types. This is gonna be fun!!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jul 10, 2012 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Typo
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:43 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,194 Posts
It's great that the board's AS3X will be programmable in as much as sticking their settings into it via USB - but suckie unless you bring a laptop to the field, especially if you don't like the changes you made. That, and having to crack open the top fuse section to get at the board.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:00 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2011
118 Posts
Mine has the aileron servo wires behind the fan instead of being taped to the side... Is that ok? Worried its affecting performance!
F27QFlyer is offline Find More Posts by F27QFlyer
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:25 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Actually, the Gee Bee & Carbon Cub use the Beast 3D's AS3X programming. The MiG uses airframe-specific AS3X settings. This has been verified by Horizon's Director of Aircraft Design. Many people have reported good results with the Beast 3D/Gee Bee/Carbon Cub brick (EFLU4864) in airframes as diverse as the UMX SBach and an F3P ship.

Many of us who have been flying AS3X-equipped planes since the beginning change the pushrod locations to suit our flying styles. Increasing control-throw effectively increases gyro gain. If carried too far, this can cause gain-induced oscillations (over-damping) on certain airframes. The Beast 3D doesn't exhibit any signs of over-damping, even with all throws maxed. In contrast - the CC exhibits signs of over-damping when the aileron pushrods are in the innermost holes. (This is likely because the Beast's gain settings are on the edge of being too aggressive for the CC's airframe-type.)

Fortunately, the MiG's brick (AS6410NBL) is programmable, and there will be enough downloadable programs with various gain settings to cover a wide range of conventional airframe types. This is gonna be fun!!

Joel
Thanks for the good info, Joel. Those oscillations are among the things I was thinking about. I guess it's not as finicky as I thought. Should be interesting!
xmech2k is offline Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:37 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_t888 View Post
I used dual ailerons on a DX7s
You can set dual Aileron on the Tx but it won't split them! One channel (right Aileron I think) will have no output.

The Ailerons have a servo each but the Rx is setup to use them together much like an internal Y lead. This can be disabled but is not advisable as the AS3X requires them to stay linked.
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:39 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F27QFlyer View Post
Mine has the aileron servo wires behind the fan instead of being taped to the side... Is that ok? Worried its affecting performance!
It will affect performance

A few people have noticed the same problem. Looks like you have to open her up to stick the wires back to the sides...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:42 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2011
118 Posts
Where do I even start... Haha
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:45 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,092 Posts
With a knife!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:48 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F27QFlyer View Post
Before you atart slicing things open - take it for a fly and see how she does. It should be OK. No-one seems to be trying to remove the motor wires from the exit area, do they?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:49 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2011
118 Posts
Not to keen on that...
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:00 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Before you atart slicing things open - take it for a fly and see how she does. It should be OK. No-one seems to be trying to remove the motor wires from the exit area, do they?
Yes they do!

See post #215
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:40 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2011
118 Posts
Looks like a tough job without killing the thing...
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:45 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,092 Posts
Yeah, you'll have to be delicate!

Think this is one that I'll pick up from my LHS and look it over first...
RCG Plus Member