Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:20 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovey View Post
Hi all

I bought the plastic nose cone cover and wing tip covers from Parkflyer plastics which I really want to try out, but I was curious as to how y'all are mounting it, do you place it on with CA?
I put a drop of white silicone on the bottom of the wingtip then slid the cover in place. Once the silicone cures it'll be easily removable if I ever want them off but strong enough to hold the tips in place.

The nose is a pure friction fit, no adhesive needed.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:24 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
I put a drop of white silicone on the bottom of the wingtip then slid the cover in place. Once the silicone cures it'll be easily removable if I ever want them off but strong enough to hold the tips in place.

The nose is a pure friction fit, no adhesive needed.

-Brian
Thanks Brian, well... the thing about my nose is, uhhh it has seen better days!

I will check it out and see if the fit will still be ok, if not I will glue it down.
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:30 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovey View Post
Thanks Brian, well... the thing about my nose is, uhhh it has seen better days!

I will check it out and see if the fit will still be ok, if not I will glue it down.
but what about the plane's nose?

-Brian
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:07 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
but what about the plane's nose?

-Brian
Touché! Lol
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old Mar 15, 2013, 06:41 PM
Horsham, PA
Joined Aug 2007
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Your link isn't working, impmotor. (Looks like an extra 'http://' at the front.)

I found the site that had the X-32 I was thinking of, but looks like they don't sell it any more.

Air Hobby

It's obvious what many people think of the X-32 when you do a Google search and as you type in 'X-32' the word 'ugly' auto-fills to the end of it, but I like it. Well, there was that one flight where they put a special intake on it for hovering, and that was ugly, but I liked the normal one! Being a huge wing like my 64mm F-4d Skyray, I think the X-32 would make an awesome flyer. Fast jet speeds and can almost hover down to a landing! Wish one of the modeling companies would stick their neck out and make this one...

OK sorry for the departure! And now back to your regularly scheduled MiG-15 programming...
Sorry about the bad link. It is corrected now and is for the plans only and not the kit. All you need is a bit of 2mm depron and the plans.
impmotor is offline Find More Posts by impmotor
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:50 PM
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Jun 2011
8 Posts
MIG rebuild

Hi everyone

I love this little EDF. I hit a tree the other day during a particularly lively session and the patient (airplane) is listed as critical. We are making arrangements...

The electronics are fine.

I have ordered a replacement airframe and pushrods but I am unsure of the glue to use. I am thinking foam safe ca for wing, tail and carbon reinforcement attachments with silicon for servo and electronics install. I found the original quite delicate and am going to beef it up with some fine flat and round carbon rod.

How is the canopy attached? How are the pushrods glued? It looks like heat shrink and thin ca.

I am also thinking about a ring of light fibreglass around the nose about 1cm wide held with laminating epoxy. I will not install any landing gear or guns.

I am curious what everyone's thoughts are.

Thank you.
helijamie is online now Find More Posts by helijamie
Old Mar 16, 2013, 02:09 PM
Joined Jan 2013
31 Posts
Who can tell me how many AMPs stock ESC can provide?
And is it posable use different EDF ?
Thank you.
DennyNC is offline Find More Posts by DennyNC
Old Mar 16, 2013, 02:10 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helijamie View Post
Hi everyone

I love this little EDF. I hit a tree the other day during a particularly lively session and the patient (airplane) is listed as critical. We are making arrangements...

The electronics are fine.

I have ordered a replacement airframe and pushrods but I am unsure of the glue to use. I am thinking foam safe ca for wing, tail and carbon reinforcement attachments with silicon for servo and electronics install. I found the original quite delicate and am going to beef it up with some fine flat and round carbon rod.

How is the canopy attached? How are the pushrods glued? It looks like heat shrink and thin ca.

I am also thinking about a ring of light fibreglass around the nose about 1cm wide held with laminating epoxy. I will not install any landing gear or guns.

I am curious what everyone's thoughts are.

Thank you.
Parkflyer plastics makes a plastic nose and wingtip reinforcement kit.

The horizontal tail needs the CF reinforcement to perform well. There are many pics in the thread.

The plastic top piece including the canopy is attached by double sided tape.

Servos and electronics by non-acetic cure silicone (automotive RTV for electronics works well)

Wing by double sided tape, however foamsafe CA/UHU/foamtac will all work

Fuse Halves by regular clear tape along the seam, very important not glue these together!

-Brian
Old Mar 16, 2013, 03:56 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,253 Posts
Okay, this isn't an entry for the limbo contest (yet). I haven't had much of a chance to fly it outdoors, so I've taken it indoors. It's about a tight a space as I'd want to fly it - perfect for the swarm of Champs that usually fill that airspace - but not much room for a jet. After most of the Champ jockeys clear out (I try to thin them out with my UMX Spitfire), I like to warm up the Mig-15 for a few laps.

E-flite UMX Mig-15: Indoor Insanity! (1 min 51 sec)
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:37 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyNC View Post
Who can tell me how many AMPs stock ESC can provide?
And is it posable use different EDF ?
Thank you.
From the brick manual:

Max continuous current: .................................4.9A
Overload protection current: ...........................5.8A for 1ms
BEC continuous current: .................................1A
BEC overload protection current: ...................1A, 4.2V
Low-voltage cutoff: .........................................At <6.3V, the motor begins to pulse. At <6.1V, the motor cuts off and the LED flashes.
Over-current protection: .................................At 5.8A, the motor cuts off until the throttle stick is pulled down to idle.
Temperature protection: .................................At 120°C, the motor cuts off.

The ESC also supports three PWM frequencies & five timing settings. See the manual for details.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Mar 16, 2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:16 PM
Joined Jan 2013
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
From the brick manual:

Joel
Thank you .
So it possible to use other edf fan.
DennyNC is offline Find More Posts by DennyNC
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:47 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoollia View Post
Okay, this isn't an entry for the limbo contest (yet). I haven't had much of a chance to fly it outdoors, so I've taken it indoors. It's about a tight a space as I'd want to fly it - perfect for the swarm of Champs that usually fill that airspace - but not much room for a jet. After most of the Champ jockeys clear out (I try to thin them out with my UMX Spitfire), I like to warm up the Mig-15 for a few laps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSpdeD6obpg
I don't remember anything in the contest rules about the MiG itself having to limbo under something... I believe the pilot combing his hair in a semi ducking/limbo position with the MiG should score you at least some points
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Old Mar 17, 2013, 01:50 AM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphro View Post
I don't remember anything in the contest rules about the MiG itself having to limbo under something... I believe the pilot combing his hair in a semi ducking/limbo position with the MiG should score you at least some points
Well great then! I was worried that I wasted my time.
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2013, 04:01 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoollia View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSpdeD6obpg
Nice! that's a really small area there! How wide is that?

-Brian
Old Mar 17, 2013, 04:11 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Bwoollia,

That was gutsy! Sorta reminds me of the Cup race @ Bristol today.....

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member