HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:16 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
Horizon should send you a servo reverser.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:01 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamJunkE View Post
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this before?

I flew my MiG one complete flight with zero issues and then on the next battery i tossed it up and away it flew into a slight head wind and began to bank and noticed I did not have positive control to right aileron and down she came.

As i approched the MiG with TX in hand I rotated the Ail/Elev gimmble and discovered that both ailerons were going up at the same time!

This certainly caused my crash.......

Damage was minimal but I cant get the thing to work right now even after turning it off and on, and also doing a rebind?

This is the first time I've seen this with this aircraft after say 30 flights or so?
I had this problem with my Carbon Cub...
After checking the plane at home I walked to the park, 300m or so, and went for a flight. Upon my preflight check I noticed both ailerons working the same way!

I'm pretty sure the problem was that when I put the plane upside down on the grass to place the battery in some moisture from the grass worked its way into a servo and shorted it, causing it to reverse.

It was easy enough to sort out and shows how important it is for a quick, but thorough preflight check every time, but definitely after a battery change.

Tony
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:37 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:

I flew my MiG one complete flight with zero issues and then on the next battery i tossed it up and away it flew into a slight head wind and began to bank and noticed I did not have positive control to right aileron and down she came.

As i approched the MiG with TX in hand I rotated the Ail/Elev gimmble and discovered that both ailerons were going up at the same time!

Damage was minimal but I cant get the thing to work right now even after turning it off and on, and also doing a rebind?

This is the first time I've seen this with this aircraft after say 30 flights or so?
Both suggestions above are right...

1: there's a way to reverse it back, by shorting two pins (that's what the reverser is doing). I don't remember which one, but google it and you should find it.

2: Water could reverse a servo. It's a low voltage servo, yet, it does happen, and it did happen to me.

You may also have accidentally reversed the servo by going too low on your previous battery!!! Maybe your LVC is not working properly? You could also have accidentally used a discharge battery for your second flight. Anyway, allowing for a very low discharge, usually yield this servo problem. Is it possible that you flew once, but didn't disconnect the battery right away for a long time? (Basically, you fly until the battery is low, let the airplane on a bench for a while, with the battery in it, and letting it go lower than LVC).

Anyway, again, check option 1, there's a way to reverse it, but you need access to the wiring (so you have to open your cockpit, or do it on the servo itself, which mean you may have to remove it, remove de gunk, short the pin with a metal object, have a friend plug the battery, and the servo should reverse itself.

Sure enough, there's alway option 3 as well:

Use an empty slot, and re-bind your Mig to your Tx (intelligent tx) just in case your TX programming is screwed.
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:38 PM
EDF Junkie
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2010
470 Posts
Thanks guys for chiming in I appreciate it. I knew I may have acted hastely after that first battery and installed the second with an oversight on the preflight check. Im sure all can relate....

Thanks again,

Rob
FoamJunkE is offline Find More Posts by FoamJunkE
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:48 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxnstuff View Post
brian, is there a post for using the xport as a throttle signal channel. which pin of the 4? how do I enable it? etc...

the xport maybe my only option.
you can use a TX mix and use the xport as a throttle point. I don't have a link but you can probably search and find an example.I can't remember is Nitro tried that in his first testing with an external ESC or if he went straight to soldering...

Quote:

+1 to everything mentioned above. I've personally had that happen on my V1 Sbach after a loose battery connection.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:59 PM
EDF Junkie
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2010
470 Posts
Just to add a little to my previous post on the crash. She nosed in from about 20 feet with a good little thud onto the grass, but since i had the little plastic nose cone the damage was minimal. Only noticable damage was a crease on the horz stab...

Cudos to Park Flyer Plastics!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:36 PM
just go fly...
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Dec 2012
283 Posts
Quote:

similar issue when installing a new servo purchases separately from the MiG.

"The 2.3-gram Linear Long Throw Offset Servo is a special use servo designed for modelers without computer transmitters who would like to add aileron differential to their ultra micro aircraft. It comes programmed with a 70/30 offset from center and can be used with any Spektrum AR6400-series receiver."

soo, to get them to work you need to attach a reversing cable to one of the offset servos and cycle the power in a special way to reprogram it.

here is the "Ultra Micro Linear Servo Reverser" cable/lead
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM6825

i did it with some help, but can't seem to find the setup procedure online. anyone know the link.
fluxnstuff is offline Find More Posts by fluxnstuff
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:58 PM
Joined Jul 2006
581 Posts
Quote:

"The 2.3-gram Linear Long Throw Offset Servo is a special use servo designed for modelers without computer transmitters who would like to add aileron differential to their ultra micro aircraft. It comes programmed with a 70/30 offset from center and can be used with any Spektrum AR6400-series receiver."

soo, to get them to work you need to attach a reversing cable to one of the offset servos and cycle the power in a special way to reprogram it.

i did it with some help, but can't seem to find the setup procedure online. anyone know the link.
Page 6:
http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...NBL-Manual.pdf
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:23 PM
EDF Junkie
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2010
470 Posts
You guys are awesome, thanks a bunch. Love this site, especially when people jump in to help a brother out! Good info
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:35 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,689 Posts
LOL, I had no idea there was an extra cable in the package until I took a closer look?!?!

Hey FoamJunkE, since I'm repalcing my RUDD servo looks like I wont need the cable, if you need it PM me with your info & I can mail it to you. But you may be like me & impatient, just wanna fly right now, so you may have called your LHS to see if they have the reverser cable in stock & your on your way right now to pick it up, LOL!!

Good luck.
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:00 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
LOL, I had no idea there was an extra cable in the package until I took a closer look?!?!

Hey FoamJunkE, since I'm repalcing my RUDD servo looks like I wont need the cable, if you need it PM me with your info & I can mail it to you. But you may be like me & impatient, just wanna fly right now, so you may have called your LHS to see if they have the reverser cable in stock & your on your way right now to pick it up, LOL!!

Good luck.
Just remember not to leave the reverser in!! You plug it in, power on, count to 5 power off, remove the reverser.

Quote:

You don't actually need the cable. All it does is short 2 of the three pins together on the servo. I thing its positive to signal, however I'm not sure. a quick search will give you the answer.

So if you want to fly right away just make a tiny jumper and connect the two points on the servo together when powering on and it'll reverse.

-Brian
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:49 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Just remember not to leave the reverser in!! You plug it in, power on, count to 5 power off, remove the reverser.

-Brian
THANKS, I didn't know I still needed to use it with a RUDD servo installation, i thought it was for AIL?

But thanks, I'll make sure I do the above process.

Appreciate the explanation.
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:19 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
THANKS, I didn't know I still needed to use it with a RUDD servo installation, i thought it was for AIL?

But thanks, I'll make sure I do the above process.

Appreciate the explanation.
You wont need to for rudder, or at least you shouldn't need to. It works on all the UMX Linear servos offset or not. That was just a general comment for anyone that is going to use the reverser. It really "looks" like it could stay there but If you ever need to reverse a servo don't leave it there.

-Brian
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:02 AM
just go fly...
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Dec 2012
283 Posts
Question: is there a post/outline for using the xport for the throttle channel. which pin? how do you program your DX6i for it? etc...

thanks
fluxnstuff is offline Find More Posts by fluxnstuff
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:18 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
found this in the beast thread, use at your own risk:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=16324
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming