HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:33 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
I don't think so. See page 6 in the manual. The AS3X system initializes itself for 5 seconds when you plug in the battery, however it doesn't become active until you move the throttle. The gyros are working once initialized, but there is no output from the AS3X until the throttle blip or movement.
I stand corrected.

Dr John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:54 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming View Post
Orientation makes no difference, so long as it is motionless. I always have mine upside down when plugging in.
+1

I always put my AS3X planes & helis in whatever orientation is most convenient at the time when connecting the battery. Gyro-only systems have no way of sensing which way is up. It doesn't take much motion to corrupt the initialization. A breeze that's strong enough to wiggle the wings will screw things up.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:16 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,762 Posts
Flight number 60!! All went well.... Until the battery came free from her. The batt was still plugged in but she went into a stall and luckily landed flat on the ground. BUT the RUDD servo needs to be replaced. I know it's a bit of a chore to open her up, anything else I need to use caution when I do the remove and replace of the servo? Thanks in advance!
rcoconut is online now Find More Posts by rcoconut
Last edited by rcoconut; Feb 20, 2013 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:38 PM
United States, FL, Eustis
Joined Oct 2012
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Flight number 60!! All went well.... Until the battery came free from her. The batt was still plugged in but she went into a stall and luckily landed flat on the ground. BUT the RUDD servo needs to be replaced. I know it's a bit of a chore to open her up, anything else I need to use caution when I do the remove and replace of the servo? Thanks in advance!
Not much opening necessary to get to the rudder servo. Just pull off the plastic canopy portion. It is attached by double sided tape.
AustinG is offline Find More Posts by AustinG
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:36 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinG View Post
Not much opening necessary to get to the rudder servo. Just pull off the plastic canopy portion. It is attached by double sided tape.
Thanks Austin
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:59 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Flight number 60!! All went well.... Until the battery came free from her. The batt was still plugged in but she went into a stall and luckily landed flat on the ground.
I prefer to have a plane that fly safely over a good looking airplane. So for the Mig, I use a rubber band on the nose. Put battery in, slide rubber band. And sure enough, the good news is that I can use ALL my 2S batteries, even if they don't have velcro on the side.
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:30 PM
just go fly...
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Dec 2012
292 Posts
question... i tried the AS3X programing software and i see no options for changing the LVC setting. i am using external ESCs in my MiG15 and want the ESC to manage that task since it has much better and fine control of that parameter. any ideas?

i could cut out the stock board all together and use a AR6310 (2grams), but i like the AS3X. i would use the AR635 w/AS3X, but it is 13grams. even if i strip the AR635 i can't see getting it down to 6grams (the weight of the stock AS6410NBL).

thanks

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodID=SPMAR635
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odID=SPMAR6310
fluxnstuff is offline Find More Posts by fluxnstuff
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:34 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxnstuff View Post
question... i tried the AS3X programing software and i see no options for changing the LVC setting. i am using external ESCs in my MiG15 and want the ESC to manage that task since it has much better and fine control of that parameter. any ideas?

i could cut out the stock board all together and use a AR6310 (2grams), but i like the AS3X. i would use the AR635 w/AS3X, but it is 13grams. even if i strip the AR635 i can't see getting it down to 6grams (the weight of the stock AS6410NBL).

thanks

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodID=SPMAR635
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odID=SPMAR6310
Not sure what you're talking about. If you are using an external ESC then it will manage the LVC. There is no need to reprogram the brick. After all LVC just pulses the motor or cuts it off depending on what you select, and if the motor is connected to an ESC then that ESC will be doing the pulsing. The brick will do nothing.

edit: I see you are tapping the bricks throttle channel not mixing in another channel. As far as I know the LVC is fixed on all the AR6400 based boards, ar6400NBL/LBL AS6410NBL etc...

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:45 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,662 Posts
Aside from that LVC is nothing to do with AS3X.
Surely though your external ESC's LVC will be set to a higher voltage than the board making it cut in first...

Tony
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:49 AM
just go fly...
Joined Dec 2012
292 Posts
thanks for the responses. here are some more data points.

* I have no shame in running my tp325 2S 65c down to 3.1v a cell. I use a computer balancer on every charge cycle. they take it like it was a walk in the park. i am astounded by this 65c lipo. i recently bought three more and bench tested them agaist three i run down all the time. the new batts were only good for 2g of thrust extra. so go TP!

* when I set my ESC to 3.1v (6.2) the brick steps in and shuts the whole show down at 6.45v. dead stop. no pulse of the power. i can then set the throttle to zero and put the power back on for another 20-30 sec if i keep it around half stick. however when I set my ESC to 3.2 my ESC starts to step the power down before the brick steps in and everything works normal, though my ESC does not pulse. just smooth reduction in thrust to 0.

my point is, and I have verified this on the bench w/o the brick in place. if I run the ESC lvc at 3.1v per cell I can pull 80g+ of thrust for nearly 2min. with the brick in place I get a hard stop in the power not very friendly. with the my esc lvc set at 3.2 it works but for 30 sec less of fun (1m30s vs 2m). there is real thrust there, but it appears just out of reach.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:54 AM
just go fly...
Joined Dec 2012
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
edit: I see you are tapping the bricks throttle channel not mixing in another channel. As far as I know the LVC is fixed on all the AR6400 based boards, ar6400NBL/LBL AS6410NBL etc...
brian, is there a post for using the xport as a throttle signal channel. which pin of the 4? how do I enable it? etc...

the xport maybe my only option.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:29 AM
Micro enthusiast
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
804 Posts
Quote:
Same happened to me this evening Coconut! I came in really low with the MIg, I was trying the ultimate lowest pass and bounced off the grass...which dislodged the battery from the housing.

She then became a bit erratic, with the battery swinging back and forth. I tried to get her down quickly but about 10 foot up the battery unplugged and fell to the ground... I was left to watch the MIG float to the ground under its own glide.

Luckily without the battery the MIG doesnt weigh much and she sort of self righted and flat stalled onto the grass.

No damage luckily but Im down a 300mah nano tech! Couldnt find it anywhere in the grass.

Regards,
Nath
Groovechampion is online now Find More Posts by Groovechampion
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:26 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovechampion View Post
Same happened to me this evening Coconut! I came in really low with the MIg, I was trying the ultimate lowest pass and bounced off the grass...which dislodged the battery from the housing.

She then became a bit erratic, with the battery swinging back and forth. I tried to get her down quickly but about 10 foot up the battery unplugged and fell to the ground... I was left to watch the MIG float to the ground under its own glide.

Luckily without the battery the MIG doesnt weigh much and she sort of self righted and flat stalled onto the grass.

No damage luckily but Im down a 300mah nano tech! Couldnt find it anywhere in the grass.

Regards,
Nath
Sorry to hear 'bout your batt, but glad the MiG didn't receive any damage. I've never had my batts fall out of any of my micros before using the stock HH velcro, of course this is my first EDF also, but oh well. I'll be using Real's method and going with a rubber band around the nose to secure the batt when I get a new RUDD servo in her.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:02 AM
EDF Junkie
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2010
471 Posts
Crashed MiG due to incorrect RX programming?

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this before?

I flew my MiG one complete flight with zero issues and then on the next battery i tossed it up and away it flew into a slight head wind and began to bank and noticed I did not have positive control to right aileron and down she came.

As i approched the MiG with TX in hand I rotated the Ail/Elev gimmble and discovered that both ailerons were going up at the same time!

This certainly caused my crash.......

Damage was minimal but I cant get the thing to work right now even after turning it off and on, and also doing a rebind?

This is the first time I've seen this with this aircraft after say 30 flights or so?
FoamJunkE is offline Find More Posts by FoamJunkE
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:14 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamJunkE View Post
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this before?

I flew my MiG one complete flight with zero issues and then on the next battery i tossed it up and away it flew into a slight head wind and began to bank and noticed I did not have positive control to right aileron and down she came.

As i approched the MiG with TX in hand I rotated the Ail/Elev gimmble and discovered that both ailerons were going up at the same time!

This certainly caused my crash.......

Damage was minimal but I cant get the thing to work right now even after turning it off and on, and also doing a rebind?

This is the first time I've seen this with this aircraft after say 30 flights or so?
While I can't speak to the Mig's servos specifically, some of these micro servos on the E-Flite products are indeed reversible by programming. There is no good explanation for why yours suddenly became reprogrammed, but you can probably undo it with a little work. I thought the process was to apply voltage across the + and signal pins for 5 seconds, but hopefully someone else can chime in with more definitive info.

Also, I wouldn't hesitate to call Horizon and report the issue.
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming