Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:18 PM
Dr John
pmpjohn's Avatar
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
Reference is made to the "parkflyer nose ring" for the MiG. I recall seeing photo's of it. Can anyone advise where to got one or more of these,
Parkflier Plastics

Dr John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:44 PM
Parkzone junkie
kalmon's Avatar
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
Reference is made to the "parkflyer nose ring" for the MiG. I recall seeing photo's of it. Can anyone advise where to got one or more of these, or is it a DYI affair?

Thanks.

FWIW: I am coming up on 100 flights with the mini MiG, and the nose is still............recognizable!

RD
Link:
Parkflier Plastics

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:50 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Eustis
Joined Oct 2012
431 Posts
Still having a real problem getting as much thrust as I used to. I believe that the airplane is making a quite a bit more noise than it used to. It is now so loud that I worry about disturbing the neighbors while inside my house and testing it. That wasn't the case before.

I have cleared everything out of the airflow so that isn't the problem for sure. Not sure what to do with the engine to check it. The blades looked fine. So I don't really think it is a balance issue. Though I haven't tested it I would think that I would notice a difference since it was fine at one point and I assume it would need to have been damaged to not be balanced now.
AustinG is offline Find More Posts by AustinG
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:53 PM
Elfi Flyer
Doug Sipprell's Avatar
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Dr. John, Brian..............thanks for the info.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:17 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
habitforming's Avatar
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinG View Post
Still having a real problem getting as much thrust as I used to. I believe that the airplane is making a quite a bit more noise than it used to. It is now so loud that I worry about disturbing the neighbors while inside my house and testing it. That wasn't the case before.

I have cleared everything out of the airflow so that isn't the problem for sure. Not sure what to do with the engine to check it. The blades looked fine. So I don't really think it is a balance issue. Though I haven't tested it I would think that I would notice a difference since it was fine at one point and I assume it would need to have been damaged to not be balanced now.
It's possible that it injested something which damaged the fan, so it's worth closer inspection. My top suspicion is that one of the motor's bearings has let go, which would be very uncommon but it matches your symptoms pretty well. Have you been flying 3s or any other modifications?
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:42 AM
Parkzone junkie
kalmon's Avatar
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming View Post
It's possible that it injested something which damaged the fan, so it's worth closer inspection. My top suspicion is that one of the motor's bearings has let go, which would be very uncommon but it matches your symptoms pretty well. Have you been flying 3s or any other modifications?
I completely agree, most likely a bearing else you sucked something in and it nicked/bent a fan blade. At these RPMs it doesn't take much even a slight bend will throw it out of balance.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:50 AM
Registered User
Horsham, PA
Joined Aug 2007
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinG View Post
Still having a real problem getting as much thrust as I used to. I believe that the airplane is making a quite a bit more noise than it used to. It is now so loud that I worry about disturbing the neighbors while inside my house and testing it. That wasn't the case before.

I have cleared everything out of the airflow so that isn't the problem for sure. Not sure what to do with the engine to check it. The blades looked fine. So I don't really think it is a balance issue. Though I haven't tested it I would think that I would notice a difference since it was fine at one point and I assume it would need to have been damaged to not be balanced now.
I no longer have the power that I used to, however, my motor is not as loud as it used to be after hundreds of flights. There does no seem to be any bearing noise that I notice. I wonder if it is possible that the bearings slowly start to have more and more drag. Has this happened to anyone else?
impmotor is offline Find More Posts by impmotor
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:57 AM
Just wanna fly!
grovey's Avatar
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Link:
Parkflier Plastics

-Brian
Thanks! I was looking into this myself, ordered!
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:40 AM
Parkzone junkie
kalmon's Avatar
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by impmotor View Post
I no longer have the power that I used to, however, my motor is not as loud as it used to be after hundreds of flights. There does no seem to be any bearing noise that I notice. I wonder if it is possible that the bearings slowly start to have more and more drag. Has this happened to anyone else?
more likely the battery is getting worn. This little edf take a large draw from the batteries. I'd strongly recommend getting a lightened TP325mAh 65C pack from RCBabbel. It is simply the best performing pack that can be had for the little mig.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:16 AM
Registered User
Horsham, PA
Joined Aug 2007
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
more likely the battery is getting worn. This little edf take a large draw from the batteries. I'd strongly recommend getting a lightened TP325mAh 65C pack from RCBabbel. It is simply the best performing pack that can be had for the little mig.

-Brian
I doubt that this is a battery problem only because I have 10+ batteries and the problem does not seem to be dependent on any particular battery. I went flying yesterday morning and was unable to keep the MIG in the air due to what seemed to be a lack of power. However, the same battery in another EDF with an E-flite power system flew fine. Admittedly the second plane was a lighter profile EDF, but not by that much. I am ordering some new batteries, but would appriciate all advice.
impmotor is offline Find More Posts by impmotor
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:21 AM
Registered User
Horsham, PA
Joined Aug 2007
128 Posts
Does anyone know of a good battery tester or a way to test the quality of a battery. The only way I know of to do it now is by the loss of flight times because the battery being no longer able to hold a charge for any length of time under use.
impmotor is offline Find More Posts by impmotor
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:28 AM
Parkzone junkie
kalmon's Avatar
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by impmotor View Post
Does anyone know of a good battery tester or a way to test the quality of a battery. The only way I know of to do it now is by the loss of flight times because the battery being no longer able to hold a charge for any length of time under use.
The magnets in the motor also could be losing their magnetism. This happens after heat cycles. Though normally I wouldn't think the motor would get hot enough... Maybe it is just trying to tell you to install that new 16000kv motor.

The Revolectix / FMA PowerLab series will show you the internal resistance of each cell. This is the best way to measure the "health" of the pack. The lower the better.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:20 AM
Registered User
Horsham, PA
Joined Aug 2007
128 Posts
Brian,
Thank you for the info
impmotor is offline Find More Posts by impmotor
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:42 AM
Parkzone junkie
kalmon's Avatar
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by impmotor View Post
Brian,
Thank you for the info
I know there are other less expensive ones out there, but I don't know which ones are good or not.

The Powerlab series require a good power supply as well don't forget to figure that into the price.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:31 AM
Registered User
Go Pens's Avatar
United States, PA, Venetia
Joined Nov 2010
118 Posts
Supplied charger

Just pick up the mig @ lhs, flew great but my charger that came with the kit will not charge. Power on-green led flashes, plug lipo in-green still flashes, push start and red and green blink but not at the same time. any thoughts? I do have a thunder charger for other lipos I could use but I like the compact size of the stock one.
Go Pens is offline Find More Posts by Go Pens
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Official Eflite UMX Beast Owners thread! darksiede Micro Ready-to-Fly 18354 Yesterday 06:23 PM
Discussion Hobbyking Lancaster official owners thread Tartago Electric Warbirds 979 Aug 10, 2014 11:58 AM
Discussion UMX Mig-15 DF Mod Thread NitroCharged Micro EDF Jets and Power Systems 1132 Aug 01, 2014 04:30 PM
Discussion E-flite UMX MiG 15 DF SNEAK PEEK! D PAYNE Micro EDF Jets and Power Systems 2221 Mar 03, 2014 11:33 AM
Sold Eflite F-86 Sabre 15 DF NIB! blue7.62 Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 1 Apr 05, 2012 01:35 PM