HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:38 AM
Joined Feb 2012
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
AV8TRX - can we assume/hope this was what we needed to get that Limbo entry from you??

Do tell - what was in the package?

YES! indeed, it is. I feel that my learning curve has turned into a learning clover leaf The wait on the new servo has set me back over two weeks and last night I dropped the servo ubend rod. So after I find it, install it and the storm system blows over, I might get back to learning this little speed freak if things go well.

I had a problem with my servo sticking and heating up so the good people at Horizon Hobby sent me a new receiver and servo. Thank goodness! They were amazing with their support.

So hopefully I will get it flying and make an attempt to fly it under a "golden gate bridge" class limbo stick LOL!
AV8TRX is offline Find More Posts by AV8TRX
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:12 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,063 Posts
Flew mine today in actual 20 mph winds, with gusts to ????..... got over the edge of our hill, caught in a swirl, turned the mig sideways, and it ripped both wings literally out of the sockets!

I CA'ed them back on, but have not had a chance to try to fly it again. I guess I know the max environmental conditions for this little hunk of foam now....
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:02 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman911 View Post
Got my Mig delivered last week, and managed to maiden it on Sunday. . . . . . .

.........Had to go back to flying the 130x to relax a bit, which is funny as I got a fixed wing to have a relaxing time away for the heli's!
Looking forward to giving it another whirl this weekend if the weather in Baku plays the game.
LOL - that's the exact opposite for me - I fly my Mig to relax from my Nano!! That little thing TERRIFIES me! Welcome to the Mig club!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8TRX View Post
YES! indeed, it is. I feel that my learning curve has turned into a learning clover leaf The wait on the new servo has set me back over two weeks and last night I dropped the servo ubend rod. So after I find it, install it and the storm system blows over, I might get back to learning this little speed freak if things go well.

So hopefully I will get it flying and make an attempt to fly it under a "golden gate bridge" class limbo stick LOL!

Congrats on getting the Mig back up and going - VERY MUCH looking forward to that contest entry!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Flew mine today in actual 20 mph winds, with gusts to ????..... got over the edge of our hill, caught in a swirl, turned the mig sideways, and it ripped both wings literally out of the sockets!
I've flown mine in wind up to 20, but not over it. I would have liked to see the vid of the "post wing removal" portion of that flight! WOW!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:29 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
I've flown mine in wind up to 20, but not over it. I would have liked to see the vid of the "post wing removal" portion of that flight! WOW!
I know for a fact at least one separated in flight, and think they both might have, but on review, it is possible that the second one came off when it hit the ground. In any event, when I walked up to it, the fuse was lying upright, and the two wings were folded up over it, like a Corsair on the storage deck, held to the fuse only by the servo wiring!
Last edited by tracknoob; Jan 30, 2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:07 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,553 Posts
New Twist on AS3X!! A custom software that allows independent incremental gain adjustment on each surface and (possibly) a way to enable and disable the gyros remotely using channel 5. Also stick override priority for each axis as well.

Software here. I am hosting this at my personal webserver. Files have been scanned with Kaspersky 2013 and clean of malware/spyware/virus.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:49 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopeder111 View Post
Would 5 minute epoxy work?
I rebuilt mine and used shoe goo to attach the servos.

going back in again to replace the impellor which is showing some signs of damage from sucking up stuff through the front of the fuse.

Mine has never had a great amount of speed and after crunching the front as you mentioned on yours I rebuilt the fuse. It was bearly flyeable however I did notice the damage on the impellor. If this does not fix it I am going to shelf the little thing and just stick with my bigger planes. A shame since this is a nice looking plane when it is flying
foamyflyerr is online now Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:19 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
the fuse was lying upright, and the two wings were folded up over it, like a Corsair on the storage deck, held to the fuse only by the servo wiring!
It flies!
Had to reinforce a crumbled elevator and a couple other minor tweaks, but this is a tough little critter. Found just enough time this morning to run one checkout battery and then trim a bit, and one followup battery, before the horrible weather moved in. It flies pretty well. Ready for limbo contest at first sign of decent weather!

Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:32 PM
Joined Feb 2012
108 Posts
OK I seriously lost a ubend. Is there a reasonable alternative until I can get to the LHS?

Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:09 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
carbon fiber, steel, or wooden rod with heatshrink & maybe some super glue?
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:10 AM
United States, FL, Eustis
Joined Oct 2012
431 Posts
Anyone know have a checklist of things I should be checking in regards to my thinking that thrust is reduced? The airflow to and from the engine is clear. I had to re-attach the battery connector at some point so it could be a bad solder job giving less power draw from the battery. Though I didn't notice any reduced power until recently. I had a crash and repair recently and it could be knocked a tad off kilter there as well. Though it seemed ok at a glance during the repair.
AustinG is offline Find More Posts by AustinG
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:32 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinG View Post
Anyone know have a checklist of things I should be checking in regards to my thinking that thrust is reduced? The airflow to and from the engine is clear. I had to re-attach the battery connector at some point so it could be a bad solder job giving less power draw from the battery. Though I didn't notice any reduced power until recently. I had a crash and repair recently and it could be knocked a tad off kilter there as well. Though it seemed ok at a glance during the repair.
The one that got me was having some of the servo wires protrude into the thrust tube. There is a little pocket they are supposed to sit inside of, and if they come out they actually reduce thrust very significantly. A chop stick is the tool of choice for reaching up the exhaust and pushing them back in
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:51 AM
Joined Feb 2012
108 Posts
Gentle, gentle... I nearly poked my chopstick through the fuse...
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:25 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,553 Posts
Quote:
in no particular order:
Check servo wires
Check rotor/fan for balance/damage
Listen for bearings going bad.
Check battery for voltage droop under load
Check nose for smooth intake (not crunched)

-Brian
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:12 PM
United States, FL, Eustis
Joined Oct 2012
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
in no particular order:
Check servo wires
Check rotor/fan for balance/damage
Listen for bearings going bad.
Check battery for voltage droop under load
Check nose for smooth intake (not crunched)

-Brian
What do bad bearings sound like? Nose has taken a beating on a couple of occasions. Though it is straight enough to get the parkflyer plastic nose piece over it. That added nose piece is also something that is new since I noticed the reduced thrust. Though I don't really believe it is a factor.

By servo wires you mean them being in the way of airflow behind the fan? That part is clear. I had expected more thrust post fix because I had fixed a piece of tape that would always get detached from the side and protrude into where the air flows.
AustinG is offline Find More Posts by AustinG
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:09 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,553 Posts
Quote:
What do bad bearings sound like? Nose has taken a beating on a couple of occasions. Though it is straight enough to get the parkflyer plastic nose piece over it. That added nose piece is also something that is new since I noticed the reduced thrust. Though I don't really believe it is a factor.

By servo wires you mean them being in the way of airflow behind the fan? That part is clear. I had expected more thrust post fix because I had fixed a piece of tape that would always get detached from the side and protrude into where the air flows.
hard to describe... worn bearings sound like, well worn out bearings. I guess the sound of marbles in the motor... hard to describe.
I also have the parkflyer nose on mine and have no thrust reduction. I was really careful to trim it so that there was no lip on the ring and that the airflow was smooth.
Check that the blades are not bent or rubbing as well.

-Brian