HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:10 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
pugsam's Avatar
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Not one single crash here either.......And most of my flights are usually straight flights, very low......a straight line at high speed......
So, Judge 'Sup, you gonna keep the limbo contest open long enough for RG to show us how it's done?

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:04 PM
Registered User
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
As some have stated the snap is fast and without warning!!!...But I was guilty of getting the model too slow and in a slight left hand turn...This is the first time the MiG has snapped on me...I was flying with too much high alpha and not enough throttle...

MiG Snap (1 min 20 sec)


Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:15 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,754 Posts
Kevin,

Good to see that there was no structural damage!

You seem to have trouble with your RC planes whenever they get close to your pond. I've got a theory. Your pond is a miniature 'Bermuda Triangle'. Since it's a rather small triangle, it only affects rather small aircraft, such as RC planes.

Whaddya think?

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:35 PM
Registered User
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Kevin,

Good to see that there was no structural damage!

You seem to have trouble with your RC planes whenever they get close to your pond. I've got a theory. Your pond is a miniature 'Bermuda Triangle'. Since it's a rather small triangle, it only affects rather small aircraft, such as RC planes.

Whaddya think?

Joel
Hmmm!!!...FUNNY!!!...I fly literally hundreds of flights in my back yard and over the pond...Since this is my primary flying area it's only natural that if I have a problem it could be over the pond...And I've posted vids of some of my worst moments when flying over the pond...I would fly more aggressively if I was flying over a "solid" surface so with me flying as I do over the pond is challenging enough,at least for me...The Sbach thread is proof---I would have been even more aggressive with hovering had I been flying over land instead of water...But flying over water is more than half of the fun!!!...And more of a challenge!!!

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:14 PM
Registered User
United States, AR, Benton
Joined Jul 2007
50 Posts
SNAP Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
As some have stated the snap is fast and without warning!!!...But I was guilty of getting the model too slow and in a slight left hand turn...This is the first time the MiG has snapped on me...I was flying with too much high alpha and not enough throttle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEkK6JdTv6c

Kevin
Boy, that looked exactly like the snap my Mig exhibited in similar circumstance. I think the AS3X hides the stall point, so be aware.
Jim
JDougherty, Erie is offline Find More Posts by JDougherty, Erie
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:22 PM
The Luftwaffle
Waffleman's Avatar
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
1,135 Posts
Something simmilar caused my only "Unexpected meeting with the ground" with my mig.
Waffleman is online now Find More Posts by Waffleman
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:27 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
whichwaysup's Avatar
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
So, Judge 'Sup, you gonna keep the limbo contest open long enough for RG to show us how it's done?

Im thinking of changing it to a tip stall contest. Clearly we would get more entries!

whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:08 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
......But flying over water is more than half of the fun!!!...And more of a challenge!!!

Kevin
Here's a challenge that just came to mind. You'd definitely need servo covers... I was thinking that the MiG just might be able to do a touch & go on water if the pilot were to keep the power on, hold the nose up, and keep the wings level.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:10 PM
The Luftwaffle
Waffleman's Avatar
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
1,135 Posts
Water through the air intake can't be a pretty thing...
Waffleman is online now Find More Posts by Waffleman
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:17 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,754 Posts
That's why you hold the nose up.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:25 PM
The Luftwaffle
Waffleman's Avatar
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
1,135 Posts
as the aircraft slows due to the drag being caused by the water, the elevator will have decreased effect and the nose will drop no matter how much elevator you hold. It just won't work.
Waffleman is online now Find More Posts by Waffleman
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:46 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleman View Post
as the aircraft slows due to the drag being caused by the water, the elevator will have decreased effect and the nose will drop no matter how much elevator you hold. It just won't work.
Surely, you realize that I was joking. But it would most likely work if one could get the AoA, airspeed, and power-setting just right. Might take a bit of practice, though.....

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:51 PM
The Luftwaffle
Waffleman's Avatar
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Surely, you realize that I was joking. But it would most likely work if one could get the AoA, airspeed, and power-setting just right. Might take a bit of practice, though.....

Joel
It would have to be more of a high speed, touch the tail in the water then gun it sort of deal.

Im not gonna try it, though.
Waffleman is online now Find More Posts by Waffleman
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:22 PM
**I'm Battman**
RCBABBEL's Avatar
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Here's a challenge that just came to mind. You'd definitely need servo covers... I was thinking that the MiG just might be able to do a touch & go on water if the pilot were to keep the power on, hold the nose up, and keep the wings level.

Joel

Joel,

The Cap Skully MiG contest.

I'm in!

rc

Air Traffic Audio of Hudson River Landing of Airways Flight 1549 (New Release) (1 min 49 sec)
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:43 AM
Registered User
Australia, QLD, Qunaba
Joined Dec 2012
69 Posts
Do you have to be very experienced with rc to handle this plane ? And what flight times will I be looking at if I use batteries from a umx beast 3D and carbon cub I think there is something like a 20 mah difference between the mig stock battery and the beasts'.
Dlta Nvmbr Ynkee is offline Find More Posts by Dlta Nvmbr Ynkee
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Official Eflite UMX Beast Owners thread! darksiede Micro Ready-to-Fly 18387 Sep 11, 2014 04:11 PM
Discussion Hobbyking Lancaster official owners thread Tartago Electric Warbirds 979 Aug 10, 2014 11:58 AM
Discussion UMX Mig-15 DF Mod Thread NitroCharged Micro EDF Jets and Power Systems 1132 Aug 01, 2014 04:30 PM
Discussion E-flite UMX MiG 15 DF SNEAK PEEK! D PAYNE Micro EDF Jets and Power Systems 2221 Mar 03, 2014 11:33 AM
Sold Eflite F-86 Sabre 15 DF NIB! blue7.62 Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 1 Apr 05, 2012 01:35 PM