HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:30 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,113 Posts
Anyone managed to fly one without crashing?
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:56 AM
United States, PA, Archbald
Joined Oct 2002
274 Posts
No crashes here yet. Got the chance to fly in the local dome indoors this weekend for the first time. Up until then all flying was done outside. Despite the high speed stall no unplanned contact with the ground. Yet...
bob swika is offline Find More Posts by bob swika
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:50 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,855 Posts
No crashes, and no high speed stalls yet, either. I'll have to take her 3 mistakes high and try it out though. I fly my scale planes scale. If I want to make square turns in the sky, I use my Stryker180. (Edit: That's not my condemnation of those that don't fly their scale planes in a scale manner, just saying that's how I fly, so maybe that's why I haven't experienced the stall maybe.) But I'll try for a high speed stall next time I fly out of curiosity.
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:10 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
SP,

Yup! I've got about 10 hrs on mine with no crashes (so far), and I always bring her in nose-high on approach, with the elevator stick nearly all the way back at touchdown. However - I tend to stay away from higher-risk maneuvers such as inverted passes @ 5' AGL. I also fly her from our club's 250' asphalt strip, so I have way more than enough room. Oh - and I don't bang the sticks, so I have never experienced a high-speed stall with the MiG. The MiG responds best to smooth & fluid stick movements. She does not respond well to abrupt, stick-banging-style inputs. Energy-management is the key with this plane. As you know from your glider experience, energy-management requires a light touch on the sticks.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jan 15, 2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:15 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
No crashes, and no high speed stalls yet, either. I'll have to take her 3 mistakes high and try it out though. I fly my scale planes scale. If I want to make square turns in the sky, I use my Stryker180. (Edit: That's not my condemnation of those that don't fly their scale planes in a scale manner, just saying that's how I fly, so maybe that's why I haven't experienced the stall maybe.) But I'll try for a high speed stall next time I fly out of curiosity.
The stalls on this little Mig get out of hand real quick. It will drop a wing faster than you can blink. That is probably the only negative trait this plane has though!

I've only had two very minor crashes. One was experimenting with a large battery and it was so nose heavy that on landing it dug in and flipped. The other was a late crosswind gust when I was <2ft off the ground on approach that cartwheeled it.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:40 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,855 Posts
I've stalled it, but by cutting the throttle and gradually pulling elevator trying to maintain altitude to see where she stalls. It's my usual 'how slow can it go?' testing high above the ground. And yes, I agree, when it stalls, it goes quick!
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:54 PM
United States, FL, Eustis
Joined Oct 2012
431 Posts
Quote:
I have had no crashes on most of my flights.

Then 2 weeks ago I briefly lost sight of it in the sun and behind a tree that was close to me(I should have been standing in a better spot). The plane got farther down range than I thought and took the top of the tail off on a collision with a power line.

Then on the first or second flight after that repair. I was trying to trim the elevator out on the fixed tail and ran into a light pole at a pretty healthy speed(seriously what are the odds of doing that, they take up so little space it would have been hard to hit if I tried the distance I was standing from it). Well anyway I am now waiting on new wings and a new tail since I lost the control horn on the rudder and the wings when reattached weren't anything even resembling straight.

Realize that I had had the plane for 2 months before that flying it regularly and not significantly damaged it at all. Even on the flight were it decided that its battery was a droppable tank mid flight. Hopefully whatever hex was placed on the Mig has passed by the time the parts arrive and I get it fixed.

On a side note the Mig, as opposed to my other airplanes, gets by far the best reaction from random people that are passing by watching me fly and/or family members that came out and watched over the holidays.
AustinG is offline Find More Posts by AustinG
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:02 PM
The Luftwaffle
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
1,045 Posts
Quote:
One crash, one time I hit a tree but it kept on flying, no damage and then one tip stall I was able to recover from.
I got mine in the second production run.
Waffleman is offline Find More Posts by Waffleman
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:06 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
One time I got near some trees, panicked, resort to heavy thumbs in my desperation and stalled one after the other losing all control, barely missed all the trees, even when panicking don't be heavy on the sticks!
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:08 PM
The Luftwaffle
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
1,045 Posts
Wow. That sounds like it was a close one.

You know your mig is getting old when one of the elevator pushrods breaks.....
I had to fix it by running a paperclip between the two elevator halfs to join them.
Waffleman is offline Find More Posts by Waffleman
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:45 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
I only crash mine once per flight. Never more. I find it reckless to crash twice on the same flight without at first inspecting the damage and re-launching. Occassionally I will fly mine without a crash, but only when I'm not trying to learn new ways to crash it.

My learning curve over the past two years is very similar to the curve you get with this thing at full throttle, downslope, with sudden hard elevator input.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:49 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleman View Post
....You know your mig is getting old when one of the elevator pushrods breaks.....
LOL

That happened to mine a few days ago. (Rude tree branch!)

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:01 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
......My learning curve over the past two years is very similar to the curve you get with this thing at full throttle, downslope, with sudden hard elevator input.
WWU,

Could be a lot worse! At least it's not similar to what you'd get with this thing at full throttle, downslope - with no elevator input!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:03 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Not one single crash here either. Still look brand new, even the tail!!! But it's my UM with the less flights (less than 150 I think, too lazy to check the logbook). And most of my flights are usually straight flights, very low, but nothing fancy. I just like how well this bird fly and how well it keep a straight line at high speed. And I also use a bigger runway everytime I fly it (street or large runway). I use all my other birds for the fancy stuff (and trust me, those have "visited" the ground more often I wished for.

So, looking at the overall results here, it does look like the Mig is a lucky bird! (again, it's not a 3D bird, and luck may have nothing to do with it). What's funny is the fact that in my case, I truly wanted the receiver, not the airplane (it was the first programmable receiver), and I was thinking: "as soon as I crash it a few time, I'm pulling the receiver out". I have many large EDFs, so I didn't really care for a small one. Well, still no rush to take it out. I like my little EDF!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:04 PM
United States, AR, Benton
Joined Jul 2007
50 Posts
Quick stalls with AS3X

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
The stalls on this little Mig get out of hand real quick. It will drop a wing faster than you can blink. That is probably the only negative trait this plane has though!

I've only had two very minor crashes. One was experimenting with a large battery and it was so nose heavy that on landing it dug in and flipped. The other was a late crosswind gust when I was <2ft off the ground on approach that cartwheeled it.

-Brian
I've flown the little Mig a lot, with only one crash. I was making a sweeping left hand turn into final to land and the plane did a rapid tip stall into terra firma. I believe the problem is related to the very stable flight image the plane presents, right up to the point where it stalls. This is pronounced in a turn if you don't maintain sufficient airspeed. I have flown a couple of planes with the Guardian stabilizer and experienced similar effects. The stabilization holds the plane steady right up to the stall, masking its onset, then......bam. I recommend keeping the speed up on this plane until you are close to ground effect, then raise the nose and let her settle in. The AS3X can give a false sense of security around the stall speed which can be scary if you roll into a turn. BTW - I used the hot water solution on the nose with excellent results. I have also decided not to fly the Mig in the HS gym where we fly on Friday nights because of the limited space. It is far and away, however, the best UMX I have flown outdoors. I haven't flown the SBach but just ordered the AS3X Spitfire at the LHS today. I have the Champ, Cub, T28, Corsair, Mosquito, 4Site and PlayMate UMX planes in addition to the Mig.
JDougherty, Erie is offline Find More Posts by JDougherty, Erie