HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:23 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
got a few more great flights in today. man i really love this jet!

some things i noticed, as i get familiar with it:

1) It does not seem to like doing an inverted half loop (i.e. while flying level inverted, push elevator down). i guess because of the t-tail, the elevator & rudder get blanked out by the body in this maneuver? i only tried it once, but it seemed like it would be very challenging, if at all possible. i also really started to explore the slow high alpha limits, and wow does it snap suddenly & violently if you go too far!

2) mine regularly seems to lose bind. today i found myself rebinding with every battery. i've tried powering up inside, outside, more than 10' apart, with a truck & brick wall between the tx & mig, etc etc. 9 times out of 10 I have to rebind, and it's been this way for a while now. the airplane powers on and just starts blinking after a few seconds. i always turn on the tx at least 10 seconds ahead. am I doing something wrong, or should I just give a call to Horizon?

3) also, has anyone bothered pulling out the edf & balancing it? I'd rather not go through the trouble myself if it won't yield any benefit.

starting to get the urge for more thrust...
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:25 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming View Post
got a few more great flights in today. man i really love this jet!

some things i noticed, as i get familiar with it:

1) It does not seem to like doing an inverted half loop (i.e. while flying level inverted, push elevator down). i guess because of the t-tail, the elevator & rudder get blanked out by the body in this maneuver? i only tried it once, but it seemed like it would be very challenging, if at all possible. i also really started to explore the slow high alpha limits, and wow does it snap suddenly & violently if you go too far!

2) mine regularly seems to lose bind. today i found myself rebinding with every battery. i've tried powering up inside, outside, more than 10' apart, with a truck & brick wall between the tx & mig, etc etc. 9 times out of 10 I have to rebind, and it's been this way for a while now. the airplane powers on and just starts blinking after a few seconds. i always turn on the tx at least 10 seconds ahead. am I doing something wrong, or should I just give a call to Horizon?

3) also, has anyone bothered pulling out the edf & balancing it? I'd rather not go through the trouble myself if it won't yield any benefit.

starting to get the urge for more thrust...
1) I think the difficulty is in the fact that there is not a ton of inverted elevator authority anyways and it's just running out of energy on the way up. When I run mine on 3S it has no problem doing them.

2) this has been a pretty common reported problem when flying on DSM2 tx or modules. i.e. JR, old DX7, futaba using modules. Some have it some don't...

3) there is a pretty active mod thread with lots of hop-ups for the EDF. Nitro also posted a vid on how to balance the fan in there.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:22 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
1) I think the difficulty is in the fact that there is not a ton of inverted elevator authority anyways and it's just running out of energy on the way up. When I run mine on 3S it has no problem doing them.

2) this has been a pretty common reported problem when flying on DSM2 tx or modules. i.e. JR, old DX7, futaba using modules. Some have it some don't...

3) there is a pretty active mod thread with lots of hop-ups for the EDF. Nitro also posted a vid on how to balance the fan in there.

-Brian
thanks for the replies. i am indeed on an original DX7, so i guess I get to suffer. thanks, spektrum!

how long have you been flying on 3s, and how gentle are you with WOT? i'm thinking hard about going 3s
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:03 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming View Post
thanks for the replies. i am indeed on an original DX7, so i guess I get to suffer. thanks, spektrum!

how long have you been flying on 3s, and how gentle are you with WOT? i'm thinking hard about going 3s
The reason is the older Radios and the modules use DSM2 not DSMx, And while they are backwards compatible this seems to be a not uncommon side effect some people are having on the new UMX boards that are now native dsmx.

I added two heatsinks, one to the ESC FETs and one to the Voltage Regulator to allow 3S operation. There isn't much airflow there so I have to be careful if I fly multiple packs back to back. Also the stock motor, while it runs fine on 3S, the bearings are not up to the task. I've got probably 30 flights on 3S but the bearings aren't sounding good. I plan on using Nitrocharged replacement method and getting some 100k rpm rated bearings.

on 3S it is almost a 1:1 thrust to weight ratio. I have my throttle endpoint set to 80% to keep the amps under the ESC limit though.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:19 AM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post

never had to rebind. i just unplug battery if i don't get correct connection. replug battery, then all is good . yes DX7 here
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:22 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC View Post
never had to rebind. i just unplug battery if i don't get correct connection. replug battery, then all is good . yes DX7 here
seems obvious enough, never dawned to me to try. will give that a shot, thanks for the tip!
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:00 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,959 Posts
Just had some inspiration for the UMX MiG-15 follow-on:

Sorry if this has been thought of before. (Found from Herb's pics.Thanks Herb!)
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:28 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,110 Posts
I've been flying with habitformings servo covers for about two dozen flights. Perfect, so much cleaner and neater than my mucinex pilll covers, gives it a much more finished and stock look. Very easy doing business with him, very happy!
airpower is online now Find More Posts by airpower
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:34 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC View Post
Some of my UMs are finicky when it comes to initialization, but I've never had to rebind, either. I simply cycle the aircraft's power as you describe. For the record - I'm flying with a Futaba 10CHP + DM8 module.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:10 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
I've been flying with habitformings servo covers for about two dozen flights. Perfect, so much cleaner and neater than my mucinex pilll covers, gives it a much more finished and stock look. Very easy doing business with him, very happy!
Thanks, airpower! glad to hear they worked out so well for you.

As a quick background, I made up a mold to form my own covers as everything else i saw was too big or heavy. These are sized to be just large enough to clear the servo mechanics, and no larger. A pair of them didn't add up to 0.2g on my cheapish scale. I attached them using canopy glue, but you could use double sided tape or even plain clear tape instead.

(To be clear, I'm not a business. Just a handyman with some spare time.)

I popped out a few more of these over the weekend, PM me if interested
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:59 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleman View Post
There are no rules against the use of tricopters and tiki torches, are there?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scpAoETkx3g
Okay - I am rolling on the floor - that was hillarious. So, let's see:

Bonus points for:

1) Extreme danger - Was that REAL fire on those torches? One false move and that could have resulted in a Migferno!!
2) Good music - I was feeling very peaceful, in spite of the extreme danger and enormous suspense. Bob is very calming. I think playing the theme song to "Top Gun" in Russian would have been a stronger candidate, but who can argue with Bob Marley.
3) Nice Tricopter skills - you didn't have much clearance there.
4) Of course, you get the nod for creativity. Putting the Mig ON the tricopter - that was funny!

Unfortunately, there were several technical elements that cost you some bonus points:

1) The obvious item: The Mig was not under it's own power. I know, it's not in the rules, so your video is a contender, but up against a competitor video where the Mig is actually flying on its own, it will be at a bit of a disadvantage.
2) Negative bonus points for not mounting the Mig upside down for at least ONE of the circuits - that would have given you bonafide "Inverted Limbo" status. Missed opportunities to really wow the Judges result in point detractions. (new rule, to be arbitrarily and subjectively applied on the whim of the judge).

HOWEVER, the fact that you had at least three passes under the limbo pole, used an actual Mig airframe, AND there was fire involved puts you firmly in front of AV8TRX, but behind Kevin Greene.

So, here are the current standings in the Mig LImbo contest:

1st Place: Kevin "close-is-still-good-enough" Greene
2nd Place: Waffle "Hey-it-was-a Mig-and-it-went-under-a-pole-give-me-a-break" Man
3rd Place: AV8 "any-way-you-can"TRX
Dishonorable mention: Whichway "not-that-way"sup

Folks, the contest is still wide open, since nobody has actually accomplished this feat, so get your submissions in. Anything counts, but some things count more than others, and there's a new 325 mAh TP Babblebatt up for grabs. We'll keep the contest open for those who are still frozen solid up there or until we all get bored of it.

Who's next?????
whichwaysup is online now Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:19 PM
The Luftwaffle
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
1,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
1) Extreme danger - Was that REAL fire on those torches? One false move and that could have resulted in a Migferno!!
Real fire all the way.
Coleman lantern fuel, not even regular tiki torch crap either!
Waffleman is offline Find More Posts by Waffleman
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:30 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Aug 2006
684 Posts
I agree- I posted this on the sabre thread
So I ended up purchasing the Umx Mig as well! Parkfllyersplastics has a nose protector and wing tip kit for the mig for $4. so I inquired if they were going to produce a kit for the sabre as well. Here is the reply
"Just waiting for somebody to volunteer a fuselage to tool from.
The mig was returned to the owner with no signs that I used it and he got
three sets of parts for his involvement.
If you know somebody let them know.

Sparky"

Since I'm from Canada its not feasible to send him my bird, but maybe someone in his town could lend him theirs-get some sets for free-his username here on Rcgroups is sparks from Fort Worth, TX USA

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=3087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Those PFP nose guards look great!!!...Sure wish he made one for the GP Sabre......

Kevin
fairplane is offline Find More Posts by fairplane
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:31 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,110 Posts
Habitforming, I agree, I have Stryker servo covers and dry fitted them, but just too large. Your covers keep it nice and slim, no bigger than the servo.

Also, I ordered four sets, and all fit perfectly.
airpower is online now Find More Posts by airpower
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:54 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,739 Posts
Went to the AMA Convention in Ontario, CA today & I tried and tried to get "something" out of John Redman & Quique Somenzini regarding another micro EDF release in the future....... no words said but lots of smiles from both! We'll see what's next!!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut