HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:21 AM
Joined Jun 2007
239 Posts
Damn that looks sweet!
I tried my aileron mod the other day, couldn't deploy it fast enough but the little that I did didn't seem to matter. Still waiting for my V-tail mixer to make it work properly.

Depending on the result I will think of trying this, but on such a small plane you're most certainly right.

If the looks are what we're going for, I don't know either, since we'd probably have to cut two parts of the rear fuselage and make them mobile. Nowhere near as elegant as the above.

Either way I'm not tempted by this mod anymore (but I'm still determined to finish it, aileron only at least) as the snow has now set and I can glide nicely. Nose up or it gets filled with snow
vadimpelau is offline Find More Posts by vadimpelau
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:39 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
I would not be to worried about a little snow getting into the duct. Just blow up her tailpipe to clear it out. A little water on the motor will not hurt it. Either fly it again or take it inside to dry out.

Dr John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:43 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpjohn View Post
I would not be to worried about a little snow getting into the duct. Just blow up her tailpipe to clear it out. A little water on the motor will not hurt it. Either fly it again or take it inside to dry out.

Dr John
There are CHILDREN on this forum. Shame on you! Oh, wait, you WERE talking about the Mig. . . .
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:17 PM
Joined Jun 2007
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
There are CHILDREN on this forum. Shame on you! Oh, wait, you WERE talking about the Mig. . . .
Oh you have no idea of the things I had to stick in her duct... to clean it out ofcourse, twigs and such, not much can be found under the snow

Edit:

Did I mention I came in too hot and managed to hit the only thing on the entire field? The BOX!
Last edited by vadimpelau; Dec 14, 2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:05 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimpelau View Post
Either way I'm not tempted by this mod anymore (but I'm still determined to finish it, aileron only at least) as the snow has now set and I can glide nicely. Nose up or it gets filled with snow
Vad,

You're copping a lot of flak for this mix, and on this aircraft I can see why, it doesn't need it.

I am however interested in the mix, I would like to add a Flapperon mix to my Beast 3D like I have with my Sbach but the AS3X is holding me back.

Tony
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:10 AM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpjohn View Post

Dr John
You still want to be careful though. If there are little ice chunks mixed in with the snow it will tear the fan apart. I found out the hard way.
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:45 AM
Joined Jun 2007
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
I am however interested in the mix, I would like to add a Flapperon mix to my Beast 3D like I have with my Sbach but the AS3X is holding me back.
Do you think you could use it in the air? I feel like dead in the water without ailerons, I know I couldn't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
You still want to be careful though. If there are little ice chunks mixed in with the snow it will tear the fan apart. I found out the hard way.
I've noticed that too at home. Tiny chunks were falling out and I could have sworn I cleaned it properly.
My other problem was with the snow melting inside the nose while I was cleaning it up to the point where the nose became so heavy I couldn't fly it anymore.
So I got some "hydrophobic/impemeableizating/waterproofing" spray, the kind you spray on your boots and clothes to make them water resistant and it seems to work pretty well. It melts tamiya paint though so make sure you test it on a piece of foam first.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:36 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,513 Posts
Ah, penny dropped now!

Didn't realise it was just for the landing roll.
I'll keep my ailerons...

Tony
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:57 PM
This thing runs real nice...
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Did some engine runs at home last night with Hyperion 240/25c and Mini Aviation 300/30c packs.

Tested x2 MA packs and x3 Hyp packs. Set full throttle and ALL packs seemed to hit LVC at almost spot on 4:00 minute mark.

Was very surprised and disappointed that the MA packs with a supposedly higher capacity and a higher c rating did not out last the smaller Hyperions.

Anybody have similar results?
Nam Lemmi is offline Find More Posts by Nam Lemmi
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:26 PM
Just flew it
Cumbria, UK
Joined Feb 2005
291 Posts
I've just ordered my Mig, can't wait to get it

Straight onto RCG to find the "official" thread, I should have guessed that it would be long!

Are there any "needed" mods? So far I've picked up on tidying wires in the ducts and maybe servo covers, sorry I haven't read all 165 pages

I've got a good selection of batts from my 130X

Vad
It's been interesting reading your comments, it is always good to go with the advice from the experienced guys on here, but if you still want to dabble, here's my thoughts
If you switch in a reversed/mix aileron, it may drive the AS3X nuts ,the aileron servo left connected to the AS3X would be unpredictable as it tried to correct roll

Just for fun, here's my ideas if I were to do it (I like to work over ideas in my head and then not do them!)
Google "PICAXE" chips, they are little programmable IC's, without too much work you could make up your own mixer, it could have 2 inputs - Ail and Gear, 2 outputs - one for each Ail, with gear off, the PICAXE would just pass the signal from the RX to the 2 servos, flick the gear switch and you could program it to add an offset to the 2 Ail outputs given either flaps or brakes while still allowing some control
edit, thinking more, did you mean to use the mixer for one or both ailerons? If you drive both with it, you could mix in a proportion of brake/flap, still allowing control

Other ideas
A servo operated arrester hook!
A single airbrake like the BAE Hawk, servo operated, either out of the top or bottom of the fuse

I think the best bet (besides practising landings) would be one tiny fixed skid in place of the the front wheel

I've got to say though, I've been on RCG long enough to read between the lines, when you see so many good guys giving the same advice, you really should take note, but then again, we all love to mod!
toys2cars2toys is offline Find More Posts by toys2cars2toys
Last edited by toys2cars2toys; Dec 15, 2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:55 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nam Lemmi View Post
Did some engine runs at home last night with Hyperion 240/25c and Mini Aviation 300/30c packs.

Tested x2 MA packs and x3 Hyp packs. Set full throttle and ALL packs seemed to hit LVC at almost spot on 4:00 minute mark.

Was very surprised and disappointed that the MA packs with a supposedly higher capacity and a higher c rating did not out last the smaller Hyperions.

I Have some Hyperion 240mAh packs and don't hit the LVC until after the 5 minute mark---But this is with mixed flying without the gear...Without the gear I'm not into the throttle as much...

My NanoTech 300mAh 35C batts last for over 6 minutes and weigh exactly the same as my Hyperion 240's...I have Hyperion, TP,and Nanotech batts---I haven't tried the Mini Aviation packs yet...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Dec 15, 2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:59 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nam Lemmi View Post

I haven't tried the MA packs. However - running your packs to LVC will kill them in a very short time. LiPos are not supposed to be discharged deeper than 80% as measured by how many mAh it takes to recharge them after the run.

If you want to experience the full potential of this bird, try a Thunder Power 325 mAh 65c pack. It provides the highest thrust-to-weight & top speed of any 2s pack that will fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys2cars2toys View Post

Straight onto RCG to find the "official" thread, I should have guessed that it would be long!

Are there any "needed" mods? So far I've picked up on tidying wires in the ducts and maybe servo covers, sorry I haven't read all 165 pages

I've got a good selection of batts from my 130X
Move the elevator & rudder pushrods to the innermost holes, add glue filets to the root of the horizontal stab, and maybe add a cf rod as well. Other than the above, a handful of the highest-performance packs you can get is all this baby needs!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Dec 15, 2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:39 PM
Just flew it
Cumbria, UK
Joined Feb 2005
291 Posts
Thanks Joel. I'll do that, our paths have crossed before, way back with the SR and Futaba radio
toys2cars2toys is offline Find More Posts by toys2cars2toys
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:04 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toys2cars2toys View Post

This is probably the best mod.

Other than than exactly what Joel said, move the elevator and rudder control horns in, get a good battery and fly.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Last edited by kalmon; Dec 16, 2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:24 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
This is probably the best mod......
-Brian
Agreed
pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Last edited by pugsam; Dec 15, 2012 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Agreement