HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:46 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Check the tailpipe for wiring obstructions & be sure to use a top-quality pack. The stock pack sucks.

With the gear on, I can do endless loops with my Hyp 240s, Hyp 320s, and TP 325s. I can even do a rolling climb on the way up with the TP 325s. Without the gear, I can do two full vertical rolls on the way up with the TP 325s & still have enough momentum to get over the top of a loop. With the TP 325s, I can do huge loops & huge Cuban-eights with & without the gear. See below:

Sans gear on a TP 325 65c:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnZxGUX-66E

With the gear. First pack is a TP 325 65c. Second pack is a Hyp 320 25c. Third pack is a Hyp 240 25c:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj1OYk7DZpc

Joel
Oh my, mine couldn't do a loop half that diameter, the way it flies right now. I need to get some TP's on order! Thanks, Joel. You're a wealth of information, as always.

I also just checked the pipe, and there are two servo wires protruding a good bit into the tube. Will I have to pop the plastic top off to access & correct this? When I do that, what is the best way to reattach it? I have canopy glue, which is my first instinct.

Anything else I should do while inside?
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:57 AM
Joined Aug 2011
793 Posts
You can use a chop stick or long screwdriver to push the servo wires back in place
jim350 is offline Find More Posts by jim350
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:36 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,161 Posts
Yeah, just try using something to push them back in place.
I don't think taking the canopy off gives any access to the thrust tube...
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:54 PM
F18
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
I just received the UMX Mig 15 Friday. It rained and drizzled all day yesterday but I was able to get out with it today. Had about a 4-6 mph wind with some higher gusts but I maidened it anyway........Wow!.....I am impressed with this little DF jet!

I like it's response at full throttle and at low speed. I don't see any bad characteristics. And the level of detail on these ultra micros has gotten progressively better with each model that has come out.

Wish eFlite would come out with their own version of the BNF F-86 Saber......then I would have a full complement of Korean War Fighters.
F18 is offline Find More Posts by F18
Last edited by F18; Dec 09, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:10 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Mar 2012
466 Posts
maiden towards the middle of the video.

Flying with Gaby. (LOTS OF MAIDENS). (5 min 19 sec)
carlocivicsi is offline Find More Posts by carlocivicsi
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:16 PM
Micro enthusiast
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Yeah, just try using something to push them back in place.
I don't think taking the canopy off gives any access to the thrust tube...
I can vouch for that, removing the canopy wont give you access to the thrust tube, to do that youll need to spit the fuse at the tape / decal points.

Regards,
Nath.
Groovechampion is offline Find More Posts by Groovechampion
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:25 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
I forgot to follow up - I used a chopstick to try and push them back into their crevices. It looks like a periodic maintenance thing, but they've held for a couple flights so far.

The difference is SIGNIFICANT!!! I could barely do a circular loop before, and now even with gear on I can do a big, smooth 15-20' loop with it, and probably two sequentially (weather & tight flying area haven't allowed further testing). Amazing that such a relatively small obstruction can have such a huge effect.
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:03 AM
Joined Jun 2007
239 Posts
Quick question.

Do you guys use any methods to slow this bird down for landings?
Full blown winter has arrived and I have to land spot on. One foot too much and I have to dig it out of the snow.

Could setting the plane in dual aileron mode and mixing gear to ail work in such a manner that I can have both ails down and elevator up, causing the plane to break?

Also thought of some carbon cub floats but they're kinda expensive for two pieces of foam and I don't see a right way for fitting them.
vadimpelau is offline Find More Posts by vadimpelau
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:02 AM
tow
Norway, Nord-Trondelag, Namsos
Joined Dec 2003
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimpelau View Post
Quick question.

Full blown winter has arrived and I have to land spot on. One foot too much and I have to dig it out of the snow.

Could setting the plane in dual aileron mode and mixing gear to ail work in such a manner that I can have both ails down and elevator up, causing the plane to break?

Also thought of some carbon cub floats but they're kinda expensive for two pieces of foam and I don't see a right way for fitting them.
I don`t see the needs for braking, but would be much better with ails UP/ele DOWN
tow is offline Find More Posts by tow
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:56 AM
Joined Jun 2007
239 Posts
Well I don't think anything can be mixed since ail l/r are a single channel.

What I think now is to get a digital switch or a servo sequencer so I can either feed both ailerons one signal (ex: left to both left and right causing them to go down) or simply reverse the signal on one of them.

This would be done via the gear channel provided I will find the right witch/sequencer.
Provided that the plane is lined up with the "runway" this would allow me to switch from ailerons to flaps and shorten the landing distance.

The problem with my flying field is that it's quite remote and no one goes there but me. It's not even reachable by car anymore. Don't now if the right term for that snow is "soft" but It's certainly too much for me to stamp so I can have a comfort zone.
vadimpelau is offline Find More Posts by vadimpelau
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:29 AM
United States, FL, Eustis
Joined Oct 2012
431 Posts
It doesn't just slide across the snow without landing gear?
AustinG is offline Find More Posts by AustinG
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:40 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimpelau View Post
Quick question.

To land in the shortest possible distance & reliably put the plane where you want it to be on the runway - come in nose-high, manage your descent-rate with throttle, manage your airspeed with elevator, and carry some power all the way down. You want to land nose-high, with the mains touching down first. If you're belly-landing, you want the aft section of the fuse to touch down first. Any other landing technique will require more runway & dramatically reduce tocuh-down accuracy.

Unfortunately, dual-channel ailerons are not viable option with AS3X-equipped planes. AS3X doesn't support dual-channel ailerons, and the planes fly extremely poorly when the system is active on only one aileron. At any rate - as Tow noted, you'd want a bit of reflex with the up-elevator to slow the plane down - not flaperons. Flaperons decrease critical AoA - which increases the chance of tip-stalls & raises landing speeds. Reflex increases critical AoA, which decreases the chance of tip-stalls & reduces landing speeds.

Regarding the Carbon Cub floats - given the dramatic difference in performance with & without the gear simply due to drag, I doubt that the MiG would even fly with the massive increase in drag & the added weight of the floats.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Dec 11, 2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:16 AM
tow
Norway, Nord-Trondelag, Namsos
Joined Dec 2003
1,089 Posts
You are absolutely right! I just wanted to share the experience I have with (crow) mixing on an entirely different model (my Habu) wich is notorious for turning in to a rabbit if coming in too hot... This way of braking makes it extremely controllable on landings
Another matter is, making the MiG tip-stall you have to provoke it really hard - the wing-fences do work! - But of course it can (and will) happen.
tow is offline Find More Posts by tow
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:36 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,011 Posts
Fly it nose high like Joel stated...Get the nose up a little a ride the throttle to spot land...She will really slow down to a crawl...If you let the nose dip she will gain speed rather quickly...

Crow isn't necessary at all with this plane---But if you want to experiment a little then go for it!!!

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:48 PM
United States, FL, Eustis
Joined Oct 2012
431 Posts
My Mig took a glancing blow from a fence that serves as a backstop for softball at a field that I fly. The plane then fell into a bush. Upon retrieving it the damage seemed incredibly minor, but once I flew it I noticed that one of the ailerons is having a great deal of flutter. This is the opposite one that took the hit so my thinking is that it likely just got some debris in it from the bush. By flutter I mean that it moves excessively when the AS3X is active. It also seems to have some flutter on it when it isn't active as it tries to go back to center from a turn in either direction.

I have plastic spoon servo covers that I put on. Do I simply remove those and try to clean it out? Should I be cleaning it with something in particular? Thanks for any help that people can give.

Edit:
Spraying some lubricant directly into the servo seems to have fixed it
AustinG is offline Find More Posts by AustinG
Last edited by AustinG; Dec 11, 2012 at 09:21 PM.