HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:50 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,503 Posts
Just press the servo wires back into the wall with a chopstick or similar.

I'm not sure the motor wires will get much better than that, even if you open her up.

Tony
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:47 AM
United Kingdom, England, Southport
Joined Jan 2011
142 Posts
Well after a bit of work the wires are fixed..... just to find out the elevator servo sticks REALLY bad. So just dove right in and opened the top up to find some glue had got on the main gear and partially melted a few of the gears.... Guess after I replace it I can try flying the maiden tomorrow.

Dannyboy85 is offline Find More Posts by Dannyboy85
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:49 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,759 Posts
Actually, some good news on that. Rather than replacing the entire servo - that gear can just be popped right off. If you have another linear servo, you can simply replace that gear. Easy fix~!
whichwaysup is online now Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:52 AM
Joined Jan 2011
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Actually, some good news on that. Rather than replacing the entire servo - that gear can just be popped right off. If you have another linear servo, you can simply replace that gear. Easy fix~!
Cool I will do that! I mailed the hobby shop going to try to get a replacement servo (or gear) from them anyway after 2 hours of work :P
Last edited by Dannyboy85; Nov 28, 2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:06 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
John,

Best wishes on that maiden!

rc
RC your 2s 500mah Hyperion pack works great! I had the timer set for 2.5min on the maiden and only used 240mah. For the next flight I set the timer for 4min and still had good punch when I landed. That was a maiden on the batts as well as the plane.As for the Mig29, she is sweet. Gentle toss into a 6mph breeze and she flew out straight and level. Couple clicks of down once on step and she was hands off. Top speed slightly faster than the Mig15 and very responsive to the controls. Love the sound of twin fans blowing past at eye level. Next time out I will try to get some video

Dr John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:23 AM
Joined Jan 2011
142 Posts
I have all nano-tech 180,260,300 what should I be starting at as far as time? Under 5min? I know my sbach is around the 7min mark on the 260s.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:40 PM
Joined Aug 2011
807 Posts
300mah 4min safe flying time at WOT whole flight
jim350 is offline Find More Posts by jim350
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:34 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
I managed to get in a flight this afternoon and on video---I won a country ham this morning and used the excuse to leave work early to pick up the ham...(Best ham on the planet!!!...Look here: http://www.countryhams.com/ )

Anyway---I got the flight on video with my hatcam...It's the best that I can do with a hatcam as I have trouble keeping the plane centered in the video frame...The flight was cut short when I mistakenly grabbed a partially discharged battery...As you can see the MiG easily performed multiple loops from level flight---Even with a partially discharged battery!!!

Kevin

MiG 15 (4 min 1 sec)
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Nov 28, 2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:50 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
566 Posts
Thanks for posting the video Kevin. I'm curious, does your GP Sabre see much action now that you have the MiG? I ask because eventually I'll need to replace/rebuild my Sabre and am wondering if I'd be better off with a MiG when the time comes. One thing I do like about the Sabre is the plastic nose that has no doubt prolonged the life of my fuselage after several failed hand launches back when it was new.

All the best!
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:06 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltreato View Post
Thanks for posting the video Kevin. I'm curious, does your GP Sabre see much action now that you have the MiG? I ask because eventually I'll need to replace/rebuild my Sabre and am wondering if I'd be better off with a MiG when the time comes. One thing I do like about the Sabre is the plastic nose that has no doubt prolonged the life of my fuselage after several failed hand launches back when it was new.

All the best!
My Sabre bit the dust when I attached a keychain camera to it and I tried to fly in high winds...

The Sabre is NO MATCH for the HH MiG-15 in my opinion...The MiG flies soooo much better...I won't own another Sabre...Severe pitch ups if hand launched incorrectly, very bad inverted flight characteristics---The AS3X MiG is hands down a better value...

My Sabre guts now reside in a Nitro designed T-45---Which I need to finish...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:57 AM
Joined Jul 2010
64 Posts
Servo cleaning

Did someone already clean the servo's?

After all the 3s testing and modding (mig 15 mod thread) and opening the Mig for at least 30 times, a few 100 flights, some severe crashes involving glue and tape I finally decided to do a complete rebuild. Man, what a &@tty job that is. Even the linkages come unassembled and you have to assemble them yourself. The real snag obviously is getting them at the correct length to avoid blowing all te margin you have with bending the little U joint.

Anyway, since all the servo's were on the workbench anyway I decided to open and clean them just like I did with the Blade mCPx servo's when that bird got a lot of airtime.

Well, the servo's were DIRTY !! , it was almost unreal. There was a huge difference in how dirty the aileron and elevator servo's were compared to the rudder. I don't use a rudder a lot during flying, but it could also be the gyro gives (a lot) less output to the rudder channel.

Just before the rebuild also had a crash with what seemed a stuck servo so hopefully that potential disaster happening again is solved now.

Without a complete rebuild the servo cleaning is possible as well, but slightly more difficult. For instructions how to clean you can check the video's on cleaning the mcpx servo's on youtube, they are the same ones as used on the Mig.

I would certainly recommend this procedure to all you guys with a Mig with a serious amount of flights on it!
HenryV is offline Find More Posts by HenryV
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:48 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Henry,

Yes, many of us clean these servos periodically. DeoxIT FaderLube is the product of choice for this.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:21 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Henry,

Yes, many of us clean these servos periodically. DeoxIT FaderLube is the product of choice for this.

Joel
Just want to make sure so I don't mess anything up, with the DeoxIT you just spray it directly on the servo & that's it??

Thanks in advance Joel
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:34 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Just want to make sure so I don't mess anything up, with the DeoxIT you just spray it directly on the servo & that's it??

Thanks in advance Joel
Yes. Spray it into the output arm slot & cycle the servo a few times. A second shot may be required in some situations. To prevent buildup, I only use it when a servo shows signs of needing cleaning (jittery or erratic behavior). If you notice buildup after repeated use, flush the servo track with DeoxIT D5, cycle the servo a number of times, and follow it up with a short shot of FaderLube.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:32 PM
Joined Jan 2011
142 Posts
Just flew my maiden today and wow there is just something super fun about this plane! Smooth quiet and just really cool looking in the air! Also, out of all my UMX planes its one of the easiest to land even though it is really easy to come in to fast.