HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:20 AM
United States, FL, Eustis
Joined Oct 2012
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavdriver View Post
Tony I actually lay them flat on the bottom where the original lipo fits but i did had to cut out some foam to make it fit that will also makes the mig fly better with out having the wires and battery hang low I posted a while back go to this link and go to post 1589 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post22527570 you will see the pic of how i did it
Will have to try doing that since I lost one of those batteries mid flight yesterday. Speaking of which what is a reasonable radius that one of the batteries might be from the plane if that happens? I searched for an hour yesterday evening for it and plan on looking some more today during my lunch hour. The plane was probably 30 feet off the ground when the battery disconnected. The place where it happened has a great deal of unmowed grass so it could have settled down into it.
AustinG is offline Find More Posts by AustinG
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:33 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,755 Posts
Good luck with that!

I lost a 3S 2200 when the canopy came off my Cularis during an outside loop. Never found it. Mostly short grass and a hedge line...
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:04 PM
United States, FL, Eustis
Joined Oct 2012
434 Posts
I replaced the Eflite velcro strip in the plane with a stip of the blue stuff from HK. You could velcro someone to the wall with that stuff so I think it might do the trick for keeping the battery from bailing out early.
AustinG is offline Find More Posts by AustinG
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:44 PM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,965 Posts
Guess Horizon doesn't test these at anything much over 1000' ASL.

Had a couple of short, trimming flights without too many incidents but when I tried a loop at about 20' off the deck on the third flight the little MIG-15 just didn't have the thrust to finish it up here at 5000' ASL.

The nose dropped out of it and, in the race between airspeed and distance to the ground, the ground won.

It's a neat little plane but I'm going to put it down as a failed high altitude flying experiment and go back to flying prop driven birds which I can swap props out to get the desired performance.
ronin4740 is offline Find More Posts by ronin4740
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:54 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin4740 View Post
Guess Horizon doesn't test these at anything much over 1000' ASL.

Had a couple of short, trimming flights without too many incidents but when I tried a loop at about 20' off the deck on the third flight the little MIG-15 just didn't have the thrust to finish it up here at 5000' ASL.

The nose dropped out of it and, in the race between airspeed and distance to the ground, the ground won.

It's a neat little plane but I'm going to put it down as a failed high altitude flying experiment and go back to flying prop driven birds which I can swap props out to get the desired performance.
Did you use the stock battery???...If so, that's a lot of your power problem...I'm only at 500' ASL and can do consecutive 100' loops from level flight....However I'm using a 35C 300mAh battery...I also gained a considerable amount of air speed when I removed the landing gear...ROG takeoffs were a blast but the weight and drag penalty were very noticeable...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Nov 26, 2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:40 PM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,965 Posts
Yep, stock battery. I have some little 260mAh 35C packs on order from HK but they hadn't arrived yet. Guess I was asking too much out of it.

I can glue stuff back together and try again as well as remove the LG when the batteries arrive. The nose is pretty munged up but it can be salvaged as well.

Will think about whether it's worth the effort.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:01 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Ronin - go to 3S. If the air is that thin the load won't bother it and you'll get the right amount of air going through it.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:16 PM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Ronin - go to 3S. If the air is that thin the load won't bother it and you'll get the right amount of air going through it.
Thanks Nitro. Might do that. I have a few other things to get tweaked out as far as airplanes go so the incident with the MIG sort of pushed it to the back of the line. If I get back around to her I'll try out a 3S pack and see how it goes.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:28 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
I don't know if I just happened upon a good one or what---I'm very pleased with my MiG...It is much faster than my GP Sabre and more fun to fly...I can roll 'er over on its back with very little down elevator...But the AS3X system allows for a more aft CG and the MiG's airfoil is better designed for all around flight...

I'll get a hatcam vid this weekend if the winds aren't too bad...I may have to take off from work early on Wednesday as the weather service is calling for calm winds....Not that the MiG can't handle the wind---I just want to get a vid in good conditions....The thing is that this time of year it starts to get pretty dark here @ 4:30PM---And I don't get off until 4:30PM---BIG problem for flying in the afternoon without having to take vacation time to get off from work early......

ronin4740---Don't give up on the MiG as after sorting it out it is a GREAT flyer...Nitro has a wealth of experience with this plane and I would follow his recommendations...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Nov 26, 2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:40 PM
United States, CA, Apple Valley
Joined May 2002
2,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinG View Post
Will have to try doing that since I lost one of those batteries mid flight yesterday. Speaking of which what is a reasonable radius that one of the batteries might be from the plane if that happens? I searched for an hour yesterday evening for it and plan on looking some more today during my lunch hour. The plane was probably 30 feet off the ground when the battery disconnected. The place where it happened has a great deal of unmowed grass so it could have settled down into it.
Bummer also forgot to say after you do the mod , tape the bat down obvious of course LoL
mavdriver is offline Find More Posts by mavdriver
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:55 AM
United Kingdom, England, Southport
Joined Jan 2011
142 Posts
Well just pulled the trigger on this one too..... So far I have the Stryker,Sbach,GeeBee my favorite is a toss up between the Stryker and Sbach. But the GeeBee is sure a crowd pleaser. Can't wait to get this one out there should be here tomorrow!
Dannyboy85 is offline Find More Posts by Dannyboy85
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:23 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
After you have smashed up a couple of Mig 15's or just want to buy the parts here are a couple pics of the new Mig 29 that was designed to use two of the 28mm fans. Maiden in the morning if the wind stays down. If all goes well I will start a build thread.

Dr John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:31 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,928 Posts
very cool
pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:14 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,684 Posts
John,

Best wishes on that maiden!

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:47 AM
United Kingdom, England, Southport
Joined Jan 2011
142 Posts
Well looks like I will be tearing into mine...Motor wires are completely twisted in the way as well as a few servo wires.

http://i.imgur.com/9QiHT.jpg
Dannyboy85 is offline Find More Posts by Dannyboy85