HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:52 AM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Wow that is bad!

Glad you found the issue. I would definitely also like to see takedown instructions.
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:25 PM
3D... the only way to fly!
Kissimmee
Joined Apr 2010
336 Posts
4 More flight on mine today. I waited till later to go out to my hay field! As I was flying around, there were some large bugs zooming around the hay field, I was wondering has anyone ingested a big bug yet? I was fast on the sticks and able to dodge them all myself.

Anyone have a FOD report yet?
snjbird is offline Find More Posts by snjbird
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:42 PM
Experienced R/C Repairman
Three Oaks, Michigan
Joined Sep 2003
2,619 Posts
Mine just arrived by UPS and I also cannot believe how much the wires hang down blocking the air flow!
barnyardflyer is offline Find More Posts by barnyardflyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:58 PM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by menksters View Post
Using rc speedo GP-F-86=43MPH, Alfa Mig-15=56MPH, E-flite Mig-15=48MPH. I don't have a Sbach so don't know about it. Test was done at sea level with an 6-8 mph wind and these speeds were going 2 runs downwind and one run upwind from level flight . These posted speeds are from three pass averages. Bottom line for me is that other then a Alfa MIg The G.P. F-86 and the E-flite Mig are very compatable. I think what makes the speed difference is the UC airfoil and exposed bellcrack on the F-86. All tests on the micros were done with a hypierion 220 pack. enjoy, donnie
i did another flight last night with some 6-8mph winds and it did seem that the mig 15 was going about 40-50mph i guess i was a bit conservative earlier when i said 35 but it was 105 that day and no wind so that might of had something to do with it. but with a nice high aproach and the breeze i was screaming down the soccer field like a bullet. still did not seem as fast as the stryker does anyone have speed times on the um stryker i am curious now.
TheOne420 is offline Find More Posts by TheOne420
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:15 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyardflyer View Post
Mine just arrived by UPS and I also cannot believe how much the wires hang down blocking the air flow!
Yeah mine was slightly worse that that even!!

I took it apart and fixed it. I called HH for instructions, none available yet. So I just dove in with the Xacto knife.

You have to take the entire bottom off.
1. Slice shallowly along the seam from the nose to the wing root area.
2. Cut the tape along the wing seam on the BOTTOM of the wing.
3. cut the tape along the seam directly behind the wing.
-Note that there is a 3mm x 1.25" rectangle notch, probably for alignment here. make sure you follow the seam.
4. Cut VERY SHALLOW along the seam all the way back to the tail.
-About 3/4 of the way back there are 2 alignment nubs and dimples. make sure you don't slice them off when cutting along the seam.

I didn't find a way to remove the nose gear mount so you can not take the bottom half all the way off. I just rotated it 45 degrees so that it exposed the motor and servo wires.

I taped the servo wires into the little groove channel that is there for them. Guess that was to much to do for the $0.50/hr guy in china to do right.

I also reshaped and taped the Motor wire to the center and made them bend straight up and around so they don't block as much flow.

I'll upload pics in a bit. I'm expecting MUCH better performance now.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:23 PM
United States, FL, Lakeland
Joined Aug 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
i did another flight last night with some 6-8mph winds and it did seem that the mig 15 was going about 40-50mph i guess i was a bit conservative earlier when i said 35 but it was 105 that day and no wind so that might of had something to do with it. but with a nice high aproach and the breeze i was screaming down the soccer field like a bullet. still did not seem as fast as the stryker does anyone have speed times on the um stryker i am curious now.
When i clocked mine (Stryker 180) it averaged about 53 miles per hour. If i remember the high was 57mph.
Roly72 is offline Find More Posts by Roly72
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:29 PM
Three Oaks, Michigan
Joined Sep 2003
2,619 Posts
The instructions in the manual shows how to remove the top canopy and where the screw is that holds the top half of the fuse to the bottom.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 02:12 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
673 Posts
I wonder what a radar gun would say?
ryan_t888 is offline Find More Posts by ryan_t888
Old Jul 06, 2012, 02:15 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
The instructions in the manual shows how to remove the top canopy and where the screw is that holds the top half of the fuse to the bottom.
Thanks,

My way works if you don't want to take that huge top plastic piece off.

As promised here are the pics:
Old Jul 06, 2012, 02:39 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Nice pictures! The intake look even smoother than the outside!!! Love the smooth Y front intake too!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jul 06, 2012, 02:54 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,665 Posts
Just curious.

Can't you just pull the Aileron wires outwards from the ducting and tape it up under the wing?
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:19 PM
Three Oaks, Michigan
Joined Sep 2003
2,619 Posts
I added wing servo protectors made from a part off a cooling scoop sheet I had from Parkflyer Plastics.

I thought all planes coming from Eflite were going to have servo protection after the first models were introduced without them.

I guess I thought wrong.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:30 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Flight update post fix:

WOW this is a whole new plane. The dutch roll is gone, probably from the rudder fix. It is now at least 10mph faster. To anyone getting one of these check your exhaust and make sure nothing is blocking the flow.

I can now agree with the 40+ mph speeds Before I was having trouble with scale rectangle patterns with 30* bank turns. I just flew them at 1/2 throttle! It is still an EDF and acceleration is typical "better not have anything in front of you when it is slow"

Much more enjoyable now. I flew two packs through it, one with gear on and one gear off. The gear adds way to much drag in my opinion. Maybe it is those gear doors or the rather large wheels but it just seems to need almost WOT all the time. I mean it still flys well but just slower and at a much higher throttle setting. Landing with the gear was a complete non-issue. I was able to get it down in my 160ft driveway after clearing the 15ft tree in the approach path. I just held so back stick until it was about knee high and then cut the throttle. It settled on the mains and almost immediately the nose wheel and stopped in about 6ft (dirt/gravel drive).

Gear off flight: Hand launch was simple. Left hand under the fuse, right hand on TX, use shirt sleeve or mouth to give full throttle, very gently toss it up at about 20* nose up. Flew straight out with almost no wing rock. Just a hair over 1/2 throttle is all that is required to fly and maneuver. Rolls and inverted flight was fine, needs a TON of up to maintain inverted level, but once you get it right it flys just fine. Loops need either speed or full throttle. Large round loops need both and a very good touch. It bleeds off speed very quickly in the vertical and to make the loops round be ready to feed in a fair bit of up over the top.

Slow flight was very stable. I tried to wag the rudder to get it to dance but it wouldn't. It stayed predictable all the way to the stall break, which fell straight ahead nose down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Just curious.

Can't you just pull the Aileron wires outwards from the ducting and tape it up under the wing?
Short answer, No.

The reason is that they have to follow the circular contour of the thrust ducting. If you pull from the outside you actually pull them away from the ducting because they pass through in the center so they'll try to make a straight line.

-Brian
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:36 PM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,289 Posts
Quote:
I added wing servo protectors made from a part off a cooling scoop sheet I had from Parkflyer Plastics.

I thought all planes coming from Eflite were going to have servo protection after the first models were introduced without them.

I guess I thought wrong.
Good idea, I think I need to add some of these since I am landing in the grass.
Flew mine today 3 more times in a 10-15mph wind with NO problems. It still handles great!
baddb1 is offline Find More Posts by baddb1
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:42 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Repaired my horizontal stab by re-enforcing with 1mm carbon fibre rod.

Speaking of servo covers, I have some Stryker servo covers, I think they might just work.

I have minimal interference in the duct so I aint gonna open the plane up.

I think I am ready to fly again!
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey