HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:38 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,666 Posts
Did you give it a good hard toss? These little suckers need to build up a little speed before they start putting out good thrust. A characteristic of DFs Wings level and a few deg. of up. Don't touch the elev. till it builds up a bit of speed.. Hope this helps. A buddy clocked mine yesterday at 46 MPH.

One step ahead of me Sam

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:06 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Did you give it a good hard toss? These little suckers need to build up a little speed before they start putting out good thrust. A characteristic of DFs Wings level and a few deg. of up. Don't touch the elev. till it builds up a bit of speed.. Hope this helps. A buddy clocked mine yesterday at 46 MPH.

One step ahead of me Sam

Gord.
Nice, I got an even 50mph with the gear
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Nov 09, 2012, 01:48 PM
Jagd Flieger
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Apr 2011
194 Posts
Hi Guys

About two months ago my friend let me test fly his brand new Mig-15 Wow I was very impressed at the performance! I have not stopped thinking about it ever since, with Christmas coming next month I will be asking my wife for one. My question is what are the best batteries to buy for it that are not to expensive? The e- flite batteries are quite expensive and so are the Mini Aviation batteries, can you buy them from Hobby King, I saw one guy mentioned that he bought the Turnigy Nnotechs 2s 260mah 35 c, I looked at them,the price is good but they come with the JST cable, can you still use it on the Mig and only use the balancing lead to power the plane? Let me know what you guys are using.

Thanks Sabastian
Sabastian is offline Find More Posts by Sabastian
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:02 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabastian View Post
Hi Guys

About two months ago my friend let me test fly his brand new Mig-15 Wow I was very impressed at the performance! I have not stopped thinking about it ever since, with Christmas coming next month I will be asking my wife for one. My question is what are the best batteries to buy for it that are not to expensive? The e- flite batteries are quite expensive and so are the Mini Aviation batteries, can you buy them from Hobby King, I saw one guy mentioned that he bought the Turnigy Nnotechs 2s 260mah 35 c, I looked at them,the price is good but they come with the JST cable, can you still use it on the Mig and only use the balancing lead to power the plane? Let me know what you guys are using.

Thanks Sabastian
I use the Nanotechs, 260 mah 2 cell, that come with the Eflite plug already on them. They work great for me and are cheap.

Turnigy Naotech 260 for Eflite

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:26 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
Nanotech now makes 300mah with umx plug that's perfect!
Hyperion 240s with umx plug work perfect.
But my favorite is the mini aviation 300 35c
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:04 PM
Joined Jun 2007
239 Posts
Why not put a "default" JST connector and use this: http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...8-A16A3D0D4C98

5C charging rate! 45-90C discharge.
vadimpelau is offline Find More Posts by vadimpelau
Old Nov 09, 2012, 05:28 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
If you buy batteries with the umx plug they can be charged with the stock charger, they will also fit in the plane better and be lighter.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mpatible_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mpatible_.html
http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-g3-cx...or-p-6479.html
http://miniaviation.com/UMX_300.html
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:55 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,656 Posts
And if you want the absolute best performance & longest cycle-life of any 2s pack that will fit the MiG & still allow an acceptable CG, pick up some lightweight Thunder Power 325 mAh 65c UMX packs from RCBabbel.

None of the others provide the thrust-to-weight and top speed of his TP 325 65c packs. Plus, TP's G6 65c LiPos are designed to be repeatedly charged at 12c without any reduction in performance or cycle-life, and TP claims that they'll last for 600 cycles before they start to fade away. I charge mine in less than 8 minutes from the 80% discharge point! One can fly the MiG essentially non-stop all day with just four TP 325 'Babbelbatts' & the ability to charge two of them at once @ 12c.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:11 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
And if you want the absolute best performance & longest cycle-life of any 2s pack that will fit the MiG & still allow an acceptable CG, pick up some lightweight Thunder Power 325 mAh 65c UMX packs from RCBabbel.

None of the others provide the thrust-to-weight and top speed of his TP 325 65c packs. Plus, TP's G6 65c LiPos are designed to be repeatedly charged at 12c without any reduction in performance or cycle-life, and TP claims that they'll last for 600 cycles before they start to fade away. I charge mine in less than 8 minutes from the 80% discharge point! One can fly the MiG essentially non-stop all day with just four TP 325 'Babbelbatts' & the ability to charge two of them at once @ 12c.

Joel
I so have to get some of his TP Babblebats for my S3D and B3D! If I go 260 I can use them almost every micro I own, including the Stryker 180 and the Mig 15, so they WILL get a work out! Just like the idea of 600 cycles, as I don't have faith the Nanos will last anything close to that long. (They are working great for now, but the verdict is out.)

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:22 AM
Jagd Flieger
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Apr 2011
194 Posts
Hi Guys

Thanks for all the great information on all the different battery types! I think that I will order the 300 mah Turnigy Nanotechs from Hobby King, all of my other batteries are Turnigys and I am very happy with them , they last a long time and I especially like the price I am sure that some of the other batteries are better but they are also quite a bit more expensive.

Thanks Sabastian
Sabastian is offline Find More Posts by Sabastian
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:05 AM
Horsham, PA
Joined Aug 2007
132 Posts
NitroCharged, I owe you a sincere apology for doubting you. About two months ago I lost power while flying my MIG one Saturday morning. I thought that my motor was dying and since my LHS is only open on Saturdays, I hustled over to them and ordered a new motor. NitroCharged replied to my questions on this forum and said that if the motor's bearings were not making noise that it had to be the servo wires blocking the thrust. I took the MIG apart and found that the wires to one servo were slightly loose. I taped them back in place and reassembled the plane. Overnight the temperature changed from oppressively hot to mild. The MIG flew great and I never knew if it was the loose wire or the temperature change that caused the improvement. It happened again yesterday and again I found a loose servo wire. Today the MIG flew well again with the wires taped back in place. NitroCharged, I should never have doubted your superior knowledge. As a novice to EDF I have learned an enormous amount from you. Thank you.
impmotor is online now Find More Posts by impmotor
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:33 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,196 Posts
Glad to have helped.

As an aside - I tested what happens with certain shaped wiring blocking the exit of micro fans. Just by adding heatshrink to the bundle of wire to make it look nice caused the thrust to drop by 10g!!!
By placing the wires single file behind each other and thereby giving the lowest profile to the air works best. If the motors weren't replaceable, it would be better to remove all the heat-shrink to get the smallest profile possible. This is what I am now doing to the fans I make. One piece of heat-shrink over the bare wires squeezed flat as possible leading out of the case. Every tweak counts with these sized fans.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:59 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
It was a semi-common problem. I fixed mine by opening the fuse and re-taped them and moved the motor to ESC wires into a line for less obstruction as well. The more common way seems to be getting an unsharpened pencil or chopstick and using that press the wires back into the channel from the rear of the plane.

-Brian
huh..i got these wires hangin down....thought it was normal. gonna look into fixin that thanks
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:18 AM
Joined Jun 2007
239 Posts
Hi guys, need some help over here.

Today I noticed a high frame loss (or I think it's high), 83 with my first batt, 130 and 1 hold with my second one.

I performed a range check and as long as I was facing the plane I had no lost frames or holds for about 40 meters or ~130 feet.

Is this normal? I might just be noticing this now but... better safe then sorry.
vadimpelau is offline Find More Posts by vadimpelau
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:17 PM
"Hey yall watch this"...
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Aug 2012
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
The voltage sagged enough under load to trigger LVC. That is caused by high internal resistance, which means the pack is nearing end-of-life.

Joel
Flew it today with no problems and same battery in it, same battery I fly in my sbach, who knows, just a quirk I guess. Plus on 3s the voltage would have to drop waaay down to hit lvc right? Flew a 3 min flight on it today with that batt........
Planecraazy is offline Find More Posts by Planecraazy
Last edited by Planecraazy; Nov 11, 2012 at 08:31 PM.