SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:24 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,735 Posts
I gotcha kuczy!

Thanks to the micro MiG being my first EDF she got me into the Habu, version one. All went well 'til I sucked up a rock during my takeoff roll, that tiny rock turned the blades into black confetti!!

At the same time I got my first "non" HH plane, the ASM Sky Angel 50mm EDF, all is going well with that plane, squirrely, but fine. But I keep coming back to the micro MiG!! I really like it and have a lot of fun with her, more so than the 70mm or the 50mm EDF!!!

p.s.- Forgot to mention next up for being a first for me..... The Durafly Auto-G gryo
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Last edited by rcoconut; Nov 05, 2012 at 07:29 PM. Reason: words added
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:34 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,280 Posts
Nice!
I had one of the first 50mm AMX's and used a Wemotech on 4s and I also had a Habu V1. I put a ICE100 in it and flew it on 5s 3000's, much more jet like. Jets are fun, but high stress and short flight time. There is still nothing like blasting by at 15' off the deck at over 100mph though! At some point I'll get another EDF. I almost bought an E-flite F4 with a Stumax, but decided to wait a little while longer.
Have fun!
kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:46 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,735 Posts
NICE!! The Habu was scored off the Classifieds with an upgraded motor setup up for 5s running but you are completely right regarding "high stress" and "short flight time"!

As well as screaming by 15' off the deck at 107mph!!!

That Eflite F4 looks so nice!!!

I'm sure I'll see ya around the Stryker forums or some where else here!!!

Take care and stay warm in the coming months..........
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:37 PM
Joined Mar 2012
703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
NICE!! The Habu was scored off the Classifieds with an upgraded motor setup up for 5s running but you are completely right regarding "high stress" and "short flight time"!

As well as screaming by 15' off the deck at 107mph!!!

That Eflite F4 looks so nice!!!

I'm sure I'll see ya around the Stryker forums or some where else here!!!

Take care and stay warm in the coming months..........
I don't know about the F-4. From some of the older hands on the board that were
giving me advice, they said it was a bear to fly. But then again, I've never liked the F-4. Had the MiG out yesterday, and of course got the usual superior
performance, but I finally broke doen and did some rought field measurements.
The runway is approximately 150' long by 50' wide, and the "corridor" theat I fly in is 150' ft wide. the whole thing is surrounded by VERY tall trees, and the only part that's not heavy brush along the actual corridor is the field's 150'x150' square. Unfortunately, the next nearest sanctioned paved field is a 30 mile drive.
Valkpilot is offline Find More Posts by Valkpilot
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:25 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Last night, Jim350 and I cycled the servo's like we did for the Beast3D after pulling his jet out straight of the box. All servo's performed AOK on the bench.

A few tardy things during assembly have been noticed on both the production models we inspected here. The main thing is the servo wires for the ailerons are sitting behind the fan instead of being tacked with tape against the fuse to keep the exit clear like the pre-production model.

The production version has a clear plastic tab added to the center of the underside of the horizontal tail to reinforce the surface. Jim's was badly mis-aligned and is so off center that it is protruding in front of the right hand elevators LE. Unfortunately, it is glued in there really well as we did try to correct it back to it's proper position but had to stop as we were slicing away without success.

I got 4 300mah crappo-techs in the mail this morning. I am cycling them at 300mah discharge/charge to see if this helps them perform in the jet. The first lipo looks promising as it recharged 282mah back into the pack. I am hoping a gentle break in period might do the trick with these lipo's.
Were you able to correct that wire behind the fan
Mine has that and has very little thrust
foamyflyerr is offline Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:39 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamyflyerr View Post
Were you able to correct that wire behind the fan
Mine has that and has very little thrust
It was a semi-common problem. I fixed mine by opening the fuse and re-taped them and moved the motor to ESC wires into a line for less obstruction as well. The more common way seems to be getting an unsharpened pencil or chopstick and using that press the wires back into the channel from the rear of the plane.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
It was a semi-common problem. I fixed mine by opening the fuse and re-taped them and moved the motor to ESC wires into a line for less obstruction as well. The more common way seems to be getting an unsharpened pencil or chopstick and using that press the wires back into the channel from the rear of the plane.

-Brian
Thanks I will try the chopstick meathod
This is why I love this RC groups full of good info
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:23 PM
Joined Aug 2011
807 Posts
Yes i fixed the wire problem with a long phillips head screwdriver.
The wire has not moved since i pressed it back into position.
jim350 is online now Find More Posts by jim350
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:55 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim350 View Post
Yes i fixed the wire problem with a long phillips head screwdriver.
The wire has not moved since i pressed it back into position.
Just got through taping the wire back into place. Have not flown it yet but it does seem to have almost twice as much thrust as it did before. Can't wait to fly it and see if I can hand launch it now. The front landing gear is broken and is on back order right now so I am grounded with this bird unless I can hand launch it.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:42 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,592 Posts
Quote:
......I am grounded with this bird unless I can hand launch it.
Hand launches are super-easy!

Just hold her with your fingertips under the fuse, directly below the CG, throttle-up to 100%, and give her a good toss as if you were throwing a paper airplane. Keep her wings level and her nose up just a little as you release.

Fly. Enjoy. Repeat.

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:13 AM
The Luftwaffle
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
1,200 Posts
Due to my crappo unway, hand toss is all I ever do.
But if you must do runway takeoffs and landings, you can always make a set of gear from a paperclip
Waffleman is offline Find More Posts by Waffleman
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:51 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleman View Post
Due to my crappo unway, hand toss is all I ever do.
But if you must do runway takeoffs and landings, you can always make a set of gear from a paperclip
A paperclip , what a great idea there. AS the the earlier comment about the ease of hand launching, thanks for that. I was mainly saying that I was having trouble hand launching due to a lack of thrust coming out the back. After fixing that wire behind the fan that was in the way it now has a lot more thrust to where I can feel it pulling away at full thrust in my hand if I start to let go of it. It never did that before and was always really hard to launch needing a lot of runway to get off the ground. I just need now a chance to get out out (weather permitting) to try and fly it.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 03:09 PM
The Luftwaffle
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
1,200 Posts
Quote:
A paperclip , what a great idea there. .
Thats why they pay me the big bucks... NOT
Waffleman is offline Find More Posts by Waffleman
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:10 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,786 Posts
Quote:
A paperclip , what a great idea there. AS the the earlier comment about the ease of hand launching, thanks for that. I was mainly saying that I was having trouble hand launching due to a lack of thrust coming out the back. After fixing that wire behind the fan that was in the way it now has a lot more thrust to where I can feel it pulling away at full thrust in my hand if I start to let go of it. It never did that before and was always really hard to launch needing a lot of runway to get off the ground. I just need now a chance to get out out (weather permitting) to try and fly it.
Tried hand launching yesterday
It did not have enough thrust to even take off from my hand
At this point I am at a loss as to why the lack of thrust even at full throttle
I can put my hand in back of the plane and feel the thrust but being new to EDF I am not sure how much it is supposed to have
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:35 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,592 Posts
Quote:
.....It did not have enough thrust to even take off from my hand.....
This one won't just fly out of your hand.

You have to give it a good, assertive toss!

Even with that boost, it takes a heartbeat or so to really get "on step."

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam