SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:47 PM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
Would you believe I have twice been able to overpower the AS3X stability gyro and effectively thow the jet into the grass!! Fortunately, damage was minimal, and I have learned to hand launch it better. Had it been a 90mm EDF, the results would have indeed been humblingly expensive!!
Yeah Doug, My son bounced mine off the grass his first time. Needs to be at full throttle and a good toss and it's no problem. Once you get her flying, 1/2 throttle is fine.
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:08 AM
Registered User
Valkpilot's Avatar
Joined Mar 2012
703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
Great little jet, my first endeavor in EDF. Just wish it wasn't so danged expensive!

RD
I think it's the AS3X technology and that it only comes in RTF. I also fly a
50mm T-45 Goshawk that cost me $80, and another $30 for the RX.
The thing is it doesn't have the level of stability that the MiG does. That being said, however, BH now has several 50mm that come with what would be AS2X,
and the ability to retrofit the others. I'm saving up for a F-18 with it, and once I see
how the gyro works, may try it on the T-45.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant BNF, not RTF.
Valkpilot is offline Find More Posts by Valkpilot
Last edited by Valkpilot; Oct 30, 2012 at 05:52 PM. Reason: nomenclature error
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:32 AM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Fish99's Avatar
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkpilot View Post
I think it's the AS3X technology and that it only comes in RTF. I also fly a
50mm T-45 Goshawk that cost me $80, and another $30 for the RX.
The thing is it doesn't have the level of stability that the MiG does. That being said, however, BH now has several 50mm that come with what would be AS2X,
and the ability to retrofit the others. I'm saving up for a F-18 with it, and once I see
how the gyro works, may try it on the T-45.
Actually I bought mine Bind and Fly (BNF) though it is still not too cheap, at $170 right at the LHS. That said, if I were to order a HK, BH or Nitroplanes plane I would have to pay shipping, and the price quickly becomes the same.

UMX Mig 15 EDF BNF

Also love the Customer Support from HH if something actually is wrong. (BTW, loving my Mig, no issues what so ever, just a great little first EDF.)

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:41 AM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
Actually I bought mine Bind and Fly (BNF)...
Yeah... I've never even seen it offered RTF, not even on HH's website. What Tx do they include? I imagine it would have to have adjustable D/R? The minimum in HH's lineup would be the DX6i for that.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:39 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Yeah... I've never even seen it offered RTF, not even on HH's website. What Tx do they include? I imagine it would have to have adjustable D/R? The minimum in HH's lineup would be the DX6i for that.
Yup. Plus, all of the current AS3X planes are intended for intermediate pilots & above. HH figured that most intermediate & above pilots already own a programmable tx. Also, offering the more advanced planes as BNF only is their way of discouraging beginners from buying them, ending up way over their heads, getting frustrated, and quitting the hobby. One of the HH guys explained it pretty much like that back when the V1 Beast came out & people were wondering why it was BNF only.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:20 PM
EDF Junkie
FoamJunkE's Avatar
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2010
471 Posts
In case anyone is interested, I just put my lil Mig up for sale.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1761336
FoamJunkE is offline Find More Posts by FoamJunkE
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:42 PM
Do you see what I see?
rcoconut's Avatar
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,739 Posts
FINALLY got around to putting the .05mm CF rod on the ELE and Horizontal Stabilizer, couldn't tell a difference in performance..... until I did some rolling circles!! WOW, HUGE difference!! I didn't need much up ELE when doing the maneuver!! I liked it!! I did yank her up and there was a quick nose up response but not sure if it was the CF or me! 'Cause never pull her back that "hard"?? But I like it!!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:49 PM
Elfi Flyer
Doug Sipprell's Avatar
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
FINALLY got around to putting the .05mm CF rod on the ELE and Horizontal Stabilizer,
Yes, thanks for the reminder. I really have to get around to doing the same on my Mini MiG. The plane flys nice as is, but I would really like to get more support for the rather fragile tail feathers. Working on it!!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:40 PM
Do you see what I see?
rcoconut's Avatar
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,739 Posts
LOL, everytime I'd take her up (once a week) I'm reminded of Eastcoast & Pugs pictures & I'd feel guilty for not adding the CF!! Good luck with it!!! Let me know how you like it!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:59 PM
"Hey yall watch this"...
Planecraazy's Avatar
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Aug 2012
73 Posts
So today I hogged some foam out and put a 3s 250 TP batt in, to see if it would grenade, guess what even with it being nose heavy it flew perfect!! Impeller seemed perfectly balanced too, after a short few burst of wot it started pulsing like lvc but checked the batt on landing and voltages wer around 3.7, at the time it happened I dropped the throttle then advanced it and it didnt go away. I put another batt in and all was fine..... Any info?
Planecraazy is offline Find More Posts by Planecraazy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:49 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planecraazy View Post
So today I hogged some foam out and put a 3s 250 TP batt in, to see if it would grenade, guess what even with it being nose heavy it flew perfect!! Impeller seemed perfectly balanced too, after a short few burst of wot it started pulsing like lvc but checked the batt on landing and voltages wer around 3.7, at the time it happened I dropped the throttle then advanced it and it didnt go away. I put another batt in and all was fine..... Any info?
The voltage sagged enough under load to trigger LVC. That is caused by high internal resistance, which means the pack is nearing end-of-life.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:37 PM
The Earth got in the way!
kuczy's Avatar
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,281 Posts
Just listed mine:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1764445
kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:56 PM
Do you see what I see?
rcoconut's Avatar
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,739 Posts
Just curious why you're getting rid of yours? Is it not what you expected??

p.s. Congrats with your sale, looks like she sold fast kuczy
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Last edited by rcoconut; Nov 05, 2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: words added
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:29 PM
The Earth got in the way!
kuczy's Avatar
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Just curious why you're getting rid of yours? Is it not what you expected??

p.s. Congrats with your sale, looks like she sold fast kuczy
Thanks!
No, it was exactly what I expected. I was big into EDF's for about 6 years and my tastes have changed. I sold all of my EDF's then got stuck wanting a Mig-15. I figured I'd fly the UMX one more than say a 70mm one. I did fly it a little, but the novelty wore off and it sat. I took it to the JR Indoor and flew it the first day, but with all of the air traffic I figured it was best to just take it back home and sell it. It was fun, but time to move on to some other things that I'll fly more.

It did win Best New Product at the JR though.
kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:24 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
whichwaysup's Avatar
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
Thanks!
No, it was exactly what I expected. I was big into EDF's for about 6 years and my tastes have changed. I sold all of my EDF's then got stuck wanting a Mig-15. I figured I'd fly the UMX one more than say a 70mm one. I did fly it a little, but the novelty wore off and it sat. I took it to the JR Indoor and flew it the first day, but with all of the air traffic I figured it was best to just take it back home and sell it. It was fun, but time to move on to some other things that I'll fly more.

It did win Best New Product at the JR though.
Sorry to see you go. Your posts added a lot of value. You mentioned your tastes changed, curious - what did you switch to after EDF?
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Official Eflite UMX Beast Owners thread! darksiede Micro Ready-to-Fly 18429 Oct 14, 2014 02:13 PM
Discussion E-flite UMX MiG 15 DF SNEAK PEEK! D PAYNE Micro EDF Jets and Power Systems 2222 Oct 10, 2014 05:15 AM
Discussion Hobbyking Lancaster official owners thread Tartago Electric Warbirds 979 Aug 10, 2014 11:58 AM
Discussion UMX Mig-15 DF Mod Thread NitroCharged Micro EDF Jets and Power Systems 1132 Aug 01, 2014 04:30 PM
Sold Eflite F-86 Sabre 15 DF NIB! blue7.62 Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 1 Apr 05, 2012 01:35 PM