SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:19 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleman View Post
Think about this... If the esc takes power from the battery and gives it to the motor, diverting some to the reciever, then what happens when the esc stops functioning? The motor and the reviever lose power. He probably burnt up his esc but not his reciever.
Think about it... this is not a standard receiver (with it's microcontroller) and they simply glued a off the shelf ESC (with it's own microcontroller and BEC) on it. This is built from the ground up. So, when they designed it, they used a regulator, they use FETs to drive the motor, and they used a single microcontroller to drive everthing. The regulator feed the microcontroller, and the microcontroller take care of everything (AS3X, servos, FET, etc)

I think the regulator maybe "relatively" easy to replace... Though, something else may have burned along the way.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:43 PM
The Luftwaffle
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
1,220 Posts
I see... I always thought that it was an ESC and reciever in one circuit board.

I stand corrected.
Waffleman is offline Find More Posts by Waffleman
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined Mar 2012
703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Is it a dx6 or a dx6i?
I'm pretty sure they're talking about the DX6. I've had no bind-n-fly problems with
my DX6i
Valkpilot is offline Find More Posts by Valkpilot
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:41 PM
United Kingdom, England, Hindhead
Joined May 2004
301 Posts
Bought a Mig on Friday and some 300 miniaviaton batteries - this is probably the best umx i own after 3 beasts, a mosquito and a MCPx

it rocks - flies really welll, loop from flat out, easy to land with a loooooonnnnnnggggg glide

it reallly rocks

Horizion we need some more edfs!!!!!!! a hawker hunter would be killer
desmo is offline Find More Posts by desmo
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:47 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,630 Posts
Gotta luv this tuff little Miglet.

Doing yank-and-bank aerobatics today, I managed to eject the battery, and for a spilt second got to enjoy the sight of it dangling on its wires, outside the fuse.

Real bad timing, though.....she was just starting to pull out of a loop -- at low altitude over the hard deck.

High-energy impact, upside down. Broke the entire tail assembly clean off from the fuse. Only the control rods, which were still connected, kept the tail feathers and fuse in the same county.

Long story short -- the break was clean, and it mended perfectly with a thin layer of Foam-Tac. Even at close range, it's almost impossible to see that there was ever any damage.

You gotta hand it to those Soviets. They made some really sturdy weaponry: the T-34 tank, the AK-47, the Sturmovik -- and this MiG-15 Fagot, which sure belies that name!

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:29 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC View Post
i'm interested in some of the MiniAviation 300 mAh 2S 30C packs. i have no clue how to figure out the site, and prices ? any idea what i'm doing wrong
First up, I believe the MiniAviation 300mAh 2S 30C Lipo is one of the better alternate battery arrangements for the UMX MiG 15, based on my use of them, and in comparison to the stock (minimally effective) E-flite 200mAh 2S, 25C, and the Lectron Pro 300mAh 2S 35C (good, about the same price). The website:

http://www.miniaviation.com/index.html

You can purchase the MiniAviation 2S 300mAh 30C Lipo as a single pack or two Lipos to a "pack". The 2 battery price is 17.99 GBP, or approximately $28.72 based on the exchange rate of 0.626360 $ per British Pound. I purchased two of the 2 battery packs, for a total of 4 batteries, total bill was $60.62, which included shipping and handling. This works out to $15.16 per pack, not a bad price for the performance you will get. With throttle management, you can squeek out almost 5 minutes per flight. Be sure to "break in" these Lipos carefully for the first 5 - 10 flights. The MiniAviation Lipos have the correct connector, fit the battery "slot" in the UMX MiG, and should be positioned in the full back position within the slot for best balance. They are slightly heavier than the stock E-flite 200mAh 2S Lipo. Total delivery time from time of order to my mailbox was about 10 days. I used PayPal. Very nice batteries, very satisfied with them.

However, for the best overall performance, and 5-1/2 minutes flight time with throttle management, you can't beat the custom 2S Thunder Power 325mAh 65C packs from RCBabble. Yes, more expensive, but well worth it, IMHO.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:44 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
I like those stickers about "experimental" aircraft. Hopefully that would get your plane back if lost. Ever had one get away?
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:01 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
Ever had one get away?
I had my UM Champ #1 fly off because I had it out too far in the local neighborhood, and lost orientation. It flew behind some tall distant trees and was never seen again. I had my name and phone number on a small sticker, placed on the bottom of the wing. Never got a call. I even put "Lost" posters, complete with photo's in the mailboxes of those neighbors in the area where Champ #1 was last seen. No response.

The UMX MiG has the AMA ID sticker. Serves two purposes, one as ID, the other as skid plate. I fly my Mini MiG sans landing gear.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:01 AM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,919 Posts
Well, I just joined the burgeoning crowd of MiG owners...

Picked one up yesterday at a San Diego hobby shop after thoroughly enjoying the Carbon Cub that I bought in Vegas after attending the Ace in the Hole electric fly-in. I always thought the E-flite MiG looked very good so I took the plunge after experiencing AS3X on the CC.

I'll try to maiden it on the next few days...it's windy up here in the high desert and I head out shortly to play in the desert... I'll be flying it with gear for starters and possibly move on to flights without the wheels...

Very nice out of the box, this little MiG looks awesome! I can only hope it flys as well as it looks...
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:05 AM
Still practicing not crashing
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Mar 2009
49 Posts
FYI I have been using a battery from 2DogRC, they are in NC (as am I)
It fits in in the stock battery location, does not stick out and is wrapped in white heat shrink, they are plug and play (correct connector) and 300mah 35C and good price.

http://www.2dogrc.com/mad-dog-300-ma...lite-m130.html

Iam a customer of theirs and not affiliated in any way, just passing on the info...

Simon
stagsimon is offline Find More Posts by stagsimon
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:40 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,929 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...poly_Pack.html I've been using these batts in my indoor stuff for the last couple of yrs. They work very well in the Mig. I had to widen the slot just a sliver. and they slide to the back for good CG. Great little plane.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:47 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Gotta luv this tuff little Miglet.
Doing yank-and-bank aerobatics today, I managed to eject the battery, and for a spilt second got to enjoy the sight of it dangling on its wires, outside the fuse.
Real bad timing, though.....she was just starting to pull out of a loop -- at low altitude over the hard deck.
High-energy impact, upside down. Broke the entire tail assembly clean off from the fuse. Only the control rods, which were still connected, kept the tail feathers and fuse in the same county.
Long story short -- the break was clean, and it mended perfectly with a thin layer of Foam-Tac. Even at close range, it's almost impossible to see that there was ever any damage.
You gotta hand it to those Soviets. They made some really sturdy weaponry: the T-34 tank, the AK-47, the Sturmovik -- and this MiG-15 Fagot, which sure belies that name!
Photo - after..........

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:00 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
If everything crapped out it wasn't your ESC it was your VR, so an external ESC won't help that. This is rare, at least on the Beasts and Sbachs. A heat sink on the VR has solved the problem in the past. Don't know if that would work or even fit on the Mig.
I have a heat sink on the VR and ESC on my mig. 3S works but is limited to 80% throttle to prevent OCP.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:59 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,245 Posts
Don't forget guys - two things have happened to my motor doing these experiments.. the bearings went after running on 3S and the magnet went loading the motor with multi blade impellers...
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:07 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Don't forget guys - two things have happened to my motor doing these experiments.. the bearings went after running on 3S and the magnet went loading the motor with multi blade impellers...
Even with the limiting the throttle to 80 percent my bearing is starting to sound rough too

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon