HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:27 PM
Newton, NJ
Joined May 2003
1,884 Posts
Picked up one of these about two weeks back, and the first half dozen flights were all in winds from 8mph gusting to 17 according to the local airport's Wx station - it handles it surprisingly well. I even got to plop it down like a harrier with zero groundspeed on one flight Still trying to figure out the right landing approach since I discovered it has a wicked stall/snap behavior power off. I guess I've been lucky with the stock batteries, I picked up two additional packs for $11.99 each and they've been working just fine. Surprised to hear stores are charging $21 for them, the packs I bought are the same 2S 200mah 25C that was in the box.
BuzzBomber is offline Find More Posts by BuzzBomber
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:50 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,646 Posts
I throw a couple of these in the box while I'm ordering other stuff.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...poly_Pack.html

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:26 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzBomber View Post
Still trying to figure out the right landing approach since I discovered it has a wicked stall/snap behavior power off.
Surprised to hear this. I dead stick my Mini Mig for the landings, as the plane glides quite well, and I don't wish to injest any garbage from our grass runway. Have yet to really experience any serious tip stalling, unless I have botched an Immelman, then the bird drops like a rock until you can "collect" it. I find the Mini MiG is one of the easier micros to land, the UM P-51 and the UM Pole Cat being the more difficult. Then again, this is more a measure of my capabilites, possibly, than anything else. Good luck with your UMX MiG, a great flyer.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:31 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,209 Posts
With the power off mine glides in straight with a very gentile glide slope. Very easy to fly and land.

Actually thinking of selling it. I just have too many projects I want to do and it was more of a novelty for me.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:08 PM
Newton, NJ
Joined May 2003
1,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
Surprised to hear this. I dead stick my Mini Mig for the landings, as the plane glides quite well, and I don't wish to injest any garbage from our grass runway. Have yet to really experience any serious tip stalling, unless I have botched an Immelman, then the bird drops like a rock until you can "collect" it. I find the Mini MiG is one of the easier micros to land, the UM P-51 and the UM Pole Cat being the more difficult. Then again, this is more a measure of my capabilites, possibly, than anything else. Good luck with your UMX MiG, a great flyer.

RD
Honestly, I probably painted a worse picture than the reality. Part of it has to with the fact that this is my first EDF so I'm not used to the control behavior at low airspeed/high AOA compared to a prop-driven plane. It is nice and stable, until you keep feeding in elevator and the airspeed bleeds off and it stalls - the control effectiveness doesn't bleed off the way I expected - once it does stall, in my experience, it snaps hard and takes a good chunk of altitude to recover. Now you've got me wondering if I should check my wing for any warps? I probably have been miscalculating my approach speed......In any case, it defintely lands easier than my Sbach did. That was pretty much a guaranteed groundloop or noseover on anything rougher than a pool table., no matter how picture perfect the approach and flare...oh, and thanks for the good luck wishes -I'll need it.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:25 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,209 Posts
EDF's fly better a touch nose heavy. So if it's your first EDF I would recommend you put the battery all the way forward until you get the hang of it. Good luck.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:48 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,646 Posts
Just land it at a slightly higher airspeed and it will be fine. I glide it in at about a few inches off the ground, power off, and it settles in on its own.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:00 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Just land it at a slightly higher airspeed and it will be fine. I glide it in at about a few inches off the ground, power off, and it settles in on its own.

Gord.
That's EXACTLY how I bring her in with/without the gear, works everytime for me!!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:20 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
EDF's fly better a touch nose heavy. So if it's your first EDF I would recommend you put the battery all the way forward until you get the hang of it. Good luck.
That's what I was wondering. CG maybe.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:11 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Yeah, but Sweetwater is cheaper, has free shipping, gives you candy and calls you twice.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FaderLubeS

Thanks for the link. Yep, cheaper, free shipping, and they wanted to know what band I played in.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:36 PM
Newton, NJ
Joined May 2003
1,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
Have been flying with the battery all the way at the front of the battery pocket. I'll take a look at the elevator trim just in case that's contributing, climbs a bit with no input at higher power settings
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:36 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Thanks for the link. Yep, cheaper, free shipping, and they wanted to know what band I played in.
The FlyBoyz!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:49 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Quote:
The FlyBoyz!
I told them I was currently with "The T-28's" but was planning on moving on to "The Mikoyans." I hear they really rock.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:51 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I told them I was currently with "The T-28's" but was planning on moving on to "The Mikoyans." I hear they really rock.
Har. Yours are better than mine. I like the T-28's! This could go on forever.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:47 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Har. Yours are better than mine. I like the T-28's! This could go on forever.
Put your hands together for The Strykers!
AeroRecon is offline Find More Posts by AeroRecon