SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:58 PM
Mayday! Mayday!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2010
778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
What type of connector is on the stock battery? I can't believe that stock batteries cost $21, wow. I am about to order and would like to order a couple of extra(Turnigy 300mah) batteries and the necessary connectors. Thanks.
E-Flite/UMX planes use the JST-PH connector (usually you'll just see them listed as "E-Flite/UMX compatible"), which serves as a balancing and power connector.

RC-Connectors.com has a good collection of adapters
http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.p...hmh731vgk3v8i3
jpt1205 is offline Find More Posts by jpt1205
Last edited by jpt1205; Oct 18, 2012 at 12:29 AM. Reason: misspelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:02 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
Distant #4 - Stock E-flite 200 mAh 2S 25C pack
Yah... don't... save your money for something better!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:11 AM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Thank you very much for this information. Very helpful.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:26 AM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Quote:
What type of connector is on the stock battery? I can't believe that stock batteries cost $21, wow. I am about to order and would like to order a couple of extra(Turnigy 300mah) batteries and the necessary connectors. Thanks.
If you go with the Nano 260's linked below instead of the 300's, they'll already have the proper connector. No soldering required.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...E-B7BB9022B3DA
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:12 AM
Joined Mar 2012
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Thanks for the words, guys. I like'd the looks of the little MiG, when it first came out, especially the paint scheme. Most of my planes have either red or orange on them since my eyes really pick-up on that color in the air, so the MiG definitely matches that requirement.

Valk, I've been wondering what to do about the nose gear. I'll check the local hobby shop for gear. I saw the problems with it after going through the thread. Is the front strut just fracturing? Has anybody tried reinforcing it before it fails? I'm thinking about doing something to keep it from breaking. I've flown a T-28 with hundreds of touch-and-goes and zero gear problems. Too bad something this simple is a failure point.
The problem is the nosewheel. They're trying too hard for scale accuracy
by having it bent to resemble the real plane, thst has hydraulics and shock absorbers. Eventually, the nosewheel starts to rub against the fuselage, and has
a tendancy to snap when you got to bend it back. Me, I think it's a quality control
issue. Last time I checked, the landing gear is on backorder, rumored not to be available until January, but a few wise folks over on the mods page have provided substitutes. BTW, if anybody from HH is listening, maybe you should
have a "dress wheel" for display, and a straight "flight" wheel for those of us that like to take off from the ground.
Valkpilot is online now Find More Posts by Valkpilot
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:33 AM
Mayday! Mayday!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2010
778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkpilot View Post
The problem is the nosewheel. They're trying too hard for scale accuracy
by having it bent to resemble the real plane, thst has hydraulics and shock absorbers. Eventually, the nosewheel starts to rub against the fuselage, and has
a tendancy to snap when you got to bend it back. Me, I think it's a quality control
issue. Last time I checked, the landing gear is on backorder, rumored not to be available until January, but a few wise folks over on the mods page have provided substitutes. BTW, if anybody from HH is listening, maybe you should
have a "dress wheel" for display, and a straight "flight" wheel for those of us that like to take off from the ground.
Agreed. My Mig was having issues with my elevator sticking, although at the time, I didn't realize it. It made an uncontrolled nose-high pitch right before landing (I chalked it up to wind/pilot error at first), and the nose slammed down so hard it crumpled the nose gear. I pulled the gear back out and tried to tweak it, but it snapped (very brittle). Afterward, I realized the elevator was stuck...re-bound to two different transmitters, but no-good. I had good control over all other surfaces and throttle, but no elevator. I tugged gently on the control rods and could get it to move slightly, but every time I would input ailerons, the elevator would stick again. I sent it back to HH and they sent me a brand new one... Fortunately, the elevator stuck right before touchdown, so no damage at all except for the nose wheel...it could have been a LOT worse and it would have been really hard to prove/explain to HH that it "wasn't my fault"...
jpt1205 is offline Find More Posts by jpt1205
Last edited by jpt1205; Oct 18, 2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:57 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Thanks for the further info on the nose wheel. Any kind of bend is going to tend to be weak point. I wonder if it can be reinforced with something to strengthen it. Can you slip some small diameter shrink tubing over it?

Speaking of the elevator sticking, I saw where a lot folks were cleaning the linear servos with Deoxit. I wonder if I should do this prior to my first flight, to be on the safe side, and then maybe after every 50 flights or so? I wonder if the servos are just oxidizing after the long trip from China.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:01 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,236 Posts
Deoxit is great, most people take the whole servo mechanics off and clean the resistive strip, others just inject the servo with a syringe, ive just used the spray tube and sprayed it straight onto the servo. Actually, im maidening my mig today, should probably do that.
Surprised they dont add de-oxit or something similar at the factory.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:07 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
3,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Deoxit is great, most people take the whole servo mechanics off and clean the resistive strip, others just inject the servo with a syringe, ive just used the spray tube and sprayed it straight onto the servo. Actually, im maidening my mig today, should probably do that.
Surprised they dont add de-oxit or something similar at the factory.
They should go one further - a spray bottle of it should be included in the RTF package! Guarantee they'd have about 50% fewer servo issue complaints!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Oct 18, 2012, 04:17 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Just to be sure, this is what I'm looking for?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/CAIG-Deo...14-i1134931.gc
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:44 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,236 Posts
Yes, you want the F series, Fader, for resistive strips.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:09 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Just to be sure, this is what I'm looking for?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/CAIG-Deo...14-i1134931.gc
Yeah, but Sweetwater is cheaper, has free shipping, gives you candy and calls you twice.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FaderLubeS
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:12 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Just getting ready to hit the "confirm order" button. Should I go ahead and order a can of this Deoxit right away? What else would be good to order? extra anything? Or accessories? I also am ordering a UMX Beast. And would like to order some extra batteries for each too. Cant wait to get this beauty into my hands.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:16 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Yeah, but Sweetwater is cheaper, has free shipping, gives you candy and calls you twice.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FaderLubeS
Guitar center is $17.99 and says "Guaranteed Lowest Price" lol. Sweetwater is $14.99.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:10 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,236 Posts
Quote:
Just getting ready to hit the "confirm order" button. Should I go ahead and order a can of this Deoxit right away? What else would be good to order? extra anything? Or accessories? I also am ordering a UMX Beast. And would like to order some extra batteries for each too. Cant wait to get this beauty into my hands.
Get de-oxit f-series.

Dont buy the eflite batteries!!
If you want to use the same batteries for the beast and the mig, you could use the 300mah MiniAviation. Bit heavy for the beast, but makes up for it with power.