SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:56 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidterrell80 View Post
I noticed the "tail wag" today... on a low, high-speed pass, I saw a "conical look" to the motion that made it look like "dutch roll" to me.

Can we increase the gain of the Yaw axis dampening?
If your tail is wagging, (awkward), check your rudder closely. Some wag is normal, but I noticed mine get worse at one point. When I checked my rudder more closely, I discovered that the tape that held the metal brace in place had come loose and was allowing the two rudder halves not to operate as one. I tightened that up and get very little wag now.

I lost my front gear this weekend, so I was forced to fly with LG off. Man, I always forget what a different bird this thing is when she flies "clean". Low inverted passes are becoming dangerously addictive and well, dangerously low. Anyone guess where this addiction is gonna end? Please God, remind me not to pull "up"!!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:02 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Low inverted passes are becoming dangerously addictive and well, dangerously low. Anyone guess where this addiction is gonna end?
At the LHS when you are buying your 2nd Mini MiG!!

After three or four flights, I decided to pull the landing gear. Our club field is grass, and I didn't want to start tearing up the wings when landing "hot". Also, tail wiggle not a real issue for me, it's my Mini Mig saying "Look at me!!" when it goes by at WOT, downwind.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:10 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
I know. Wondering if I should order the new fuse now, or just wait until after the inevitable.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:10 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Finally finished reading through 139 pages of mini-MiG goodness. Whew! A lot to wade through but a lot of good info to learn from the experience of others.

I decided to join the MiG club and placed an order. I've had good luck with nano's in the past so I've got a HK order in for Nanotech 260's, too. I looked at all the lipo options and the value for the $ won me over. I'm sure I'll have the MiG in my hands before I see the HK order, though.

I've got access to a nice, vacant, treeless cul-de-sac street with several acres of grass surrounding it which makes for an ideal micro flying field. Looks like I'll be one of the few who want to fly the little MiG with the gear on so I can make use of the long paved strip. Since I'm planning to eventually do a lot of touch-and-goes with the MiG, battery swap-outs won't bother me much. With a handful of the Nanos, I should be able to fly for as long as I and the MiG can take it. I'm hoping the MiG will widen my UM flight opportunities with it's increased wind abilities. It'll be my first AS3X bird and in my area, if I have a UM than can fly in 10mph winds, my UM flight opportunities significantly increase. With no AS3X, I don't enjoy flying much beyond 5 mph, which limits me to maybe a morning or so a week in my area. Here's to more UM flight time!
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:19 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
Dave -

Welcome to the club - I think you'll love your Mig. I like mine w/ gear on, too, and could spend all day just doing touch and go's. Looking forward to your maiden report!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:24 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
Dave,
Youre in for a micro treat with AS3X.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined Mar 2012
692 Posts
Must be nice to ba able to just charge up a couple of batteries and step out the front door.
I gotta drive a couple of miles, and walk another half mile to fly. BTW, you sould get a set of
UM P-51 gear, eith from your LHS or order them and check out the mods page, because the
nosewheel's kinda flimsy and out-of-stock eveywhere I've looked. I'm hoping that the reason is because they're making it stronger.
Valkpilot is online now Find More Posts by Valkpilot
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:09 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,467 Posts
been flying my mig for like 5 months now. it's had the tail ripped off, both wings ripped off, fuselage broken in half....nose is just brutal looking !!

i just glue it all back on when necessary...and just keep gettin it !! still my favorite flyer
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:40 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Thanks for the words, guys. I like'd the looks of the little MiG, when it first came out, especially the paint scheme. Most of my planes have either red or orange on them since my eyes really pick-up on that color in the air, so the MiG definitely matches that requirement.

Valk, I've been wondering what to do about the nose gear. I'll check the local hobby shop for gear. I saw the problems with it after going through the thread. Is the front strut just fracturing? Has anybody tried reinforcing it before it fails? I'm thinking about doing something to keep it from breaking. I've flown a T-28 with hundreds of touch-and-goes and zero gear problems. Too bad something this simple is a failure point.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:40 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
What type of connector is on the stock battery? I can't believe that stock batteries cost $21, wow. I am about to order and would like to order a couple of extra(Turnigy 300mah) batteries and the necessary connectors. Thanks.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:28 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
What type of connector is on the stock battery? I can't believe that stock batteries cost $21, wow. I am about to order and would like to order a couple of extra(Turnigy 300mah) batteries and the necessary connectors. Thanks.
Well, if the stock batteries are too expensive (I agree!) don't order them. Order something else. This thread is full of better, cheaper alternatives from HK, Minivation, Hyperion, et. al. Almost anything is cheaper (by about 1/3) and performs way better than E-flight stuff. Don't buy E-flight batteries!

You'll have to learn how to solder to put UM connectors on some batteries. But all those manufacturers I mentioned are putting UM connectors on some of their products now. Don't use adapters, especially on this EDF. They rob power!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:40 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Thank you. No problem soldering, been doing that for many years. I'm not an expert or an artist, but I can do a solder job that will pass QC. UM connectors, looks like a balance connector. I think I'll order some from Hobbyking, 300mah for $4, thats cheap.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:43 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,190 Posts
Quote:
Thank you. No problem soldering, been doing that for many years. I'm not an expert or an artist, but I can do a solder job that will pass QC. UM connectors, not sure what those are. Hello Google.
It's the proprietary battery connector E-flight uses on these planes.

And, heat shrink hides many sins... just so long as the solder flows.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:52 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Amain's brand, ProTek are available in 240mah, made to fit these micro UMX planes, but still $15. I guess I'll order a couple. Save ordering a separate $10 order from China.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:57 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
MiniAviation 300mAh 2S Lipos have the same connector as the stock battery, so does the Thunder Power 325mAh 2S custom packs from RCBabble. Likewise with the Lectron Pro 300mAh 2S. In order of performance and flight times, from my experience to date:

#1 - Custom TP 325 mAh 2S 65C packs from RCBabble
#2 - MiniAviation 300 mAh 2S 30C packs
#3 - Lectron Pro 300 mAh 2S 35C packs
Distant #4 - Stock E-flite 200 mAh 2S 25C pack

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac