HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:17 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,181 Posts
I tried knifedge yesterday too, and it didn't work. I have the rudder pushrod all the way in on the rudder horn too. I don't think it has enough fuse side area. Flying as well as it does, I can do without the knifedge.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:26 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I ma not flying her as much lately! I am flying my Crack Pitts a lot more often and may sell her and my F86. They deserve another home where they get flown! Same for my Carbon Cub, may get the new SBach as I still fly by Beast quite a bit! Getting bit by the 3D bug!
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:08 PM
Joined Mar 2012
754 Posts
Made my first flight today and cannot fully express how happy I was with it because this
is a public forum. Only downside is the landing gear. Anybody know where I can order some more online other than Horizon Hobby Zone, or Hobbytown USA? All the LHSs are out.
Valkpilot is offline Find More Posts by Valkpilot
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:12 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
3,075 Posts
Did you lose the wheels, or just break the wire? If you kept the wheels, there are a number of alternatives to the stock landing gear:
1) The paper clip method - Works great, a little flexible, but roughly the same diameter. A DIY project brought to you by the school teacher RC flyers of America.
2) The mustang mod - tried and true, the wire of the musgang gear also works nicely for a nose gear with very little re-bending. See the Mig Mod thread for an instructional how-to.
3) The "find-your-own-wire" method - pretty much anything will work if you can find the right diameter.

All this is assuming that you are referring to the infamous nose gear issue. If the mains are the culprit, you may be the first to have a reported issue!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:31 PM
Joined Mar 2012
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Did you lose the wheels, or just break the wire? If you kept the wheels, there are a number of alternatives to the stock landing gear:
1) The paper clip method - Works great, a little flexible, but roughly the same diameter. A DIY project brought to you by the school teacher RC flyers of America.
2) The mustang mod - tried and true, the wire of the musgang gear also works nicely for a nose gear with very little re-bending. See the Mig Mod thread for an instructional how-to.
3) The "find-your-own-wire" method - pretty much anything will work if you can find the right diameter.

All this is assuming that you are referring to the infamous nose gear issue. If the mains are the culprit, you may be the first to have a reported issue!
Of course. I'll just have to gently bend it back after I pull it from the slot.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:04 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
1,089 Posts
Dumb question. For the guys running 5s setups, is anyone hand launching with the extra weight? If yes, any advice so I don't lawn dart it?

Thanks

Edit. Wrong thread...
supercollider is online now Find More Posts by supercollider
Last edited by supercollider; Oct 04, 2012 at 11:09 PM. Reason: wrong thread
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:15 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,776 Posts
Picked up a Bushnell Radar gun off the Classifieds here..... an even 50mph with the gear on! It's usually us 3 at a dirt/gravel field during the week & all 3 of us couldn't believe it!! We had a blast & I think another MiG sold!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:56 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Picked up a Bushnell Radar gun off the Classifieds here..... an even 50mph with the gear on! It's usually us 3 at a dirt/gravel field during the week & all 3 of us couldn't believe it!! We had a blast & I think another MiG sold!!
Stock? 2S? 3S?
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:01 AM
Mayday! Mayday!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2010
778 Posts
Elevator Servo Issues?

Anyone ever have issues with your elevator servo sticking? I was on my 4th sortie yesterday and everything seemed to be working fine... I was coming in on final approach and it seemed to make an un-controlled climb. I chalked it up to the wind...and circled around again to shoot another approach. Was coming in fine until at the last second the nose pitched up, stalled and I slammed the nose down pretty good. Bent my nose gear, not a big deal...I bent it back out and figured I would straighten it out to track right this morning. Chalked it up to pilot error...

I noticed when I went to plug the battery in again this morning the elevator was stuck in the up position. After the lipo bound, I had full control over all surfaces and throttle, but zero elevator control. I tugged on the elevator rods gently and was able to get it working again for a minute, but every time I moved the gimbals side to side for aileron testing, the elevator would stop working again.

I re-bound to a buddy's DX-8 and same issue, so I was able to confirm it wasn't a transmitter issue.

Anyway--I opened a ticket for Horizon to take a look at it. Only had the bird for 2 weeks, so everything should be covered under warranty...but I wanted to know if anyone else has had this issue? Thanks
jpt1205 is offline Find More Posts by jpt1205
Last edited by jpt1205; Oct 05, 2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:35 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Stock? 2S? 3S?
Sorry, left that part out, Babbel Batt 2s 240mAh.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:38 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt1205 View Post
Anyone ever have issues with your elevator servo sticking? I was on my 4th sortie yesterday and everything seemed to be working fine... I was coming in on final approach and it seemed to make an un-controlled climb. I chalked it up to the wind...and circled around again to shoot another approach. Was coming in fine until at the last second the nose pitched up, stalled and I slammed the nose down pretty good. Bent my nose gear, not a big deal...I bent it back out and figured I would straighten it out to track right this morning. Chalked it up to pilot error...

I noticed when I went to plug the battery in again this morning the elevator was stuck in the up position. After the lipo bound, I had full control over all surfaces and throttle, but zero elevator control. I tugged on the elevator rods gently and was able to get it working again for a minute, but every time I moved the gimbals side to side for aileron testing, the elevator would stop working again.

I re-bound to a buddy's DX-8 and same issue, so I was able to confirm it wasn't a transmitter issue.

Anyway--I opened a ticket for Horizon to take a look at it. Only had the bird for 2 weeks, so everything should be covered under warranty...but I wanted to know if anyone else has had this issue? Thanks
Sorry to hear 'bout the servo issue! I haven't had a problem with the MiG but had the EXACT same issue with the Carbon Cub SS when it first came out. I think some of the guys have sprayed DeOxit on the servo and it works fine?? But ya better wait 'til the other guys chime in, I don't think there's a Radio Shack over there huh?? Good luck & hope you're able to get back in the air soon
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:07 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,930 Posts
jt1205 - I'm on my third Mig. First had sticky rudder, second had sticky elevator.. Both new from Horizon. The third one they sent me has been great.

Just call and tell them to send you a new one.
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:50 AM
Joined Mar 2012
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkpilot View Post
Of course. I'll just have to gently bend it back after I pull it from the slot.
Well tried the bendback, and the wire snapped. Fortunately, I did have a spare
set of P-51 gear, followed the video, and will try them out Monday.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:25 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,181 Posts
I had trouble doing loops tight enough so I moved in on the elev. control horn. Still wouldn't do tight enough loops. I figured it was the over flexable stab that was doing it so I hot glued these 1 mm carbon rods to the bottom of it. Works fine now. You can see where I just used a dot of hot glue only on both ends and the centre. So light, it didn't make a difference to the CG.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:47 AM
Horsham, PA
Joined Aug 2007
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt1205 View Post

I have had periodic problems with the elevator servo after a number of flights. The first time was after almost 100 flights. I replaced the servo on the advice of Horizon Hobby. The second servo lasted for over a 100 flights before sticking. I sprayed it with DeOxit and it seems to last for about 50 flights before needing to be resprayed. I have had no problems with the other servos and have no expanation for why only the elevator servo causes problems. All I can suggest is that you do a preflight test to make sure that the servos are not sticking. Irregardless, I have several several hundred flights with my MIG and although I am not a greatly skilled, I love this plane.
impmotor is offline Find More Posts by impmotor