erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:00 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
Been doing it since the Beast V1 and the batteries are room temp after charging.
Curious here... When the Beast V1 came out, the only NanoTech available for it where the 120mah and 180mah (and even then, it took a while for those to come out). Are you talking about charging those batteries at 10C? I absolutely love them, and own them since the first day they came out. Great batteries, but I would not dare to charge them at more than 5C (Though I accidentally charged 4 of them at 12C once so I know they can take a beating... My mistake, nothing happened).
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:31 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,186 Posts
^Hyperion 180's and 240's. The 240's were a little heavy for it though IMHO

Not trying to through my weight around. Just trying to say It's not my first time trying this or jumping into something. I've done it for for a while. I didn't just try it and walk away, come back and then post it. It works and the batteries are fine. Yes you should charge them at a lower rate and yes you should charge and discharge them a few times before going that high. This works for me and its how I've been doing it with other small 2s packs. I'm still flying my COX Zero with the same 2s 370 and 460 Nano's and I've charged them at 6amps for over a year as well...
kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kuczy; Sep 30, 2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:23 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,530 Posts
Quote:
^Hyperion 180's and 240's. The 240's were a little heavy for it though IMHO

Not trying to through my weight around. Just trying to say It's not my first time trying this or jumping into something. I've done it for for a while. I didn't just try it and walk away, come back and then post it. It works and the batteries are fine. Yes you should charge them at a lower rate and yes you should charge and discharge them a few times before going that high. This works for me and its how I've been doing it with other small 2s packs. I'm still flying my COX Zero with the same 2s 370 and 460 Nano's and I've charged them at 6amps for over a year as well...
I'm glad it is working for you, however, I just want to make sure that anyone who does try this: Don't leave the batteries alone while charging! At this rate a battery *might* blow. Just be safe and keep an eye on them while charging.

-Brian
kalmon is online now Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:58 PM
Joined Feb 2007
6,186 Posts
You should never leave any lipo alone while charging. That's usually when people have an accident.

My buddy and I have done this for some time now.
Like I said the batteries have never been more than room temp after charging. If you don't want to do it then don't. I guess it's like the 3s thing except after hundreds of charges between the 2 of us, and I assume more, there hasn't even been the slightest sign of a battery even slightly warming.

Luke

On a side note I had 5 great flights today. I spent one flight inverted for almost the entire pack. It's nice to be able to fly an EDF off the back porch and not have to go to the field. Even though the vertical is lacking giant loops are still easy to do and like I said inverted is pretty easy with just a little bit of down elevator.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kuczy; Sep 30, 2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:55 AM
Mayday! Mayday!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2010
744 Posts
I'm still waiting for my foam safe CA (I'm deployed to a certain Middle Eastern Country and cannot run down to my LHS, unfortunately) to attach the small CF rods/strips I got to reinforce the H Stab on my Mig. I've flown 6 or 7 times since last week and I didn't notice any H-Stab flexing issues...yet. I did notice the center portion of the V Stab where it meets the H Stab is already reinforced with hard plastic... is that standard with past versions?

Anyway--so far, so good...love this little EDF! It is starting to get a little stained on the underside and intake with fine dust/dirt because of the area I fly in...is there a recommended cleaner/wipe for this foam or am I best off just to use water and a clean cloth? Hopefully she holds up well until I can return home in less than 2 months!!!
jpt1205 is offline Find More Posts by jpt1205
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:14 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Was out at the club field yesterday along with - well, I'm pretty sure every other member . Man, it was great to see so many folks out there. A couple guys took out their EDF's - not very common in our club, so I couldn't resist and pulled out the Mig. It was pretty funny to see an oversized ME 262, a JAS Gripen (again, pretty danged big), followed around my my little Mig. To it's credit, it kept up pretty well! A few low inverted passes down the runway got some comments.

I was definitely outclassed, and had one come up behind me too close, I'm pretty sure it would have sucked me in and spit out "mig mash" without missing a beat, but it was a great time.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:06 AM
United States, CA, Apple Valley
Joined May 2002
2,877 Posts
Just a quick tip you can use a credit card cut it about 1/4 of an inch and glue with foam safe CA to your stab , it really has made the elevator more responsive , before it felt sluggish , now its great IMHO .
mavdriver is offline Find More Posts by mavdriver
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:11 AM
Joined Feb 2007
6,186 Posts
I did the plastic spoon over the servos mod and it really protects them well and it's pretty aerodynamic too. I used regular white spoons, but last night we went to DQ and ended up with some smaller red spoons that might work also and save some weight in the process. I"ll see how well they fit later.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:56 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,481 Posts
Quote:
......last night we went to DQ and ended up with some smaller red spoons that might work also and save some weight in the process. I"ll see how well they fit later.
Is this a great thread, or what?

Inverted low UM EDF passes; the search for the lightest plastic spoons, MiG mash; using a credit card for good instead of evil; etc., etc., on and on.....

ps - note that even the regular white spoons come in various thicknesses/weights.

pps - jpt: a strip of clear tape along the bottom of the fuse keeps the foam clean, and can be wiped-off or replaced easily.
pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:01 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Is this a great thread, or what?

Inverted low UM EDF passes; the search for the lightest plastic spoons, MiG mash; using a credit card for good instead of evil; etc., etc., on and on.....

ps - note that even the regular white spoons come in various thicknesses/weights.

pps - jpt: a strip of clear tape along the bottom of the fuse keeps the foam clean, and can be wiped-off or replaced easily.
Man, you and I think too much alike. I read about that Dairy Queen spoon and thought "What a cool hobby that we're constantly on the prowl for seemingly ordinary items to do extraordinary things with!"

I think I might just have to swing by DQ and buy a blizzard - you know, just to test the spoon and save my family the cost of replacing an aileron servo or an airframe, or both.

Oh, and on that low pass comment, I failed to report that i also *attempted* a low knife edge with my Mig. Big Migtake. I dont' know if a Mig is capable of a Knife edge, but I can tell you that I am not. The intake now requires the air to take a new path to the fan.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:02 PM
Mayday! Mayday!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2010
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Cool...thanks for the tip, Pugsam. Do all the earlier versions of the Mig have reinforced hard plastic where the vertical stab meets the horizontal stab? I was still going to reinforce mine, as recommended, but didn't remember seeing the plastic piece in previous posts/pics...

Edit: I re-looked at old pics and the rounded plastic piece is visible...nevermind, thanks!
jpt1205 is offline Find More Posts by jpt1205
Last edited by jpt1205; Oct 01, 2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:17 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,481 Posts
Working from memory only , I think there's reinforcement on the vertical part only.....not on the horizontal - which could use it!
pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam