HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:44 PM
The Luftwaffle
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
1,220 Posts
I fly it the early morning, and when I land in the grass, the entire plane is wet with dew. Now that I think of it, could that do any damage to the exposed servos??
Just wondering.
Waffleman is online now Find More Posts by Waffleman
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:49 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,746 Posts
I would think moisture wouldn't be good in there, I CA'd micro Stryker servo covers on there for some protection, others used plastic spoons as covers (that looks more aerodynamic than the micro Stryker covers!!)
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:21 PM
Horsham, PA
Joined Aug 2007
135 Posts
I have never had a problem with the aileron servos despite their being soaked with dew after every flight. I never did the spoon cover mod because I always thought that the moisture would cause them to quickly fail and I wanted to have easy access to them. However, I do seem to suffer elevator servo failure about every 100 flights. After the second servo started sticking I tried DEOXIT and it seemed to work for about 50 flights before the problem returned this week. I have had a number of planes & helis with these linear servos and have never had this recurring problem. I would welcome any advice on why I am having this happen to the elevator servo only.
impmotor is offline Find More Posts by impmotor
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:06 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by impmotor View Post
.......I never did the spoon cover mod because I always thought that the moisture would cause them to quickly fail and I wanted to have easy access to them.......
Attach the spoon servo covers with hot glue (or some other soft adhesive).

It doesn't take much, since they're not load-bearing.

Then, you can remove them easily if you need to.

The worst case is that one might pop off on a rough landing, and you simply stick it back on.

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:11 AM
Mayday! Mayday!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2010
771 Posts
UMX Mig-15 Power

Just got my Mig-15 a couple days ago and taken her up a few times. Maiden was perfect, no issues and I really like the AS3X feature! I was concerned it would "fight me", but it just smoothed out every maneuver and made it fly like a "much bigger plane" as others have stated.

My only question: I can do aileron rolls just fine, even on low rates (70%), but I can just BARELY do loops...she basically stalls at the top of the loop and then falls out before I recover. Is this normal on stock lipo? I've got a few more lipos coming (Hyp 240 25/45C)--should that give me any noticable bump in thrust? Otherwise she is a BLAST to fly!

Thanks for any feedback...
jpt1205 is online now Find More Posts by jpt1205
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:59 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,812 Posts
You'll find with this plane - and Turbo Parker has been preaching it for awhile - it's all about energy management with the Mig. She is definitely under powered, but not so significantly that she's not a blast to fly. Go into your loops from a level flight and ease back on the elevator gently pulling the loop tighter and tighter as the plane comes around. It's kind of counter intuitive, but you get better loops when you go make the bottom end "bigger'.

One other warning - not sure of your experience level or experience with EDF's - This is NOT an airplane that recovers from stalls well, so stay high and get used to her behavior. I may have something wrong with mine, but when she goes into a low speed stall, it is usually followed by a vertical, self induced roll into the ground. A sharp pull on the elevators to pull out can often exacerbate this.

Again - might be just my Mig (or skill level) but test it out high!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:15 AM
Registered American Veteran
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2010
165 Posts
This thing does fly like a "big plane". Cannot believe how well it handles the wind. I was in 10 -12 mph steady winds and looked as if the plane was flying in a dead calm. Belly landings for me in tall soft pasture grass. I was using Hyp 240mah batteries and was getting about 3.5 min on mixed throttle use.

I got 8 flights in, rolls really nice. Loops were a little different, had to play around with the arc radius to find the sweet spot. Other than that Id say this micro needs a little more space than a normal micro plane. This thing is in a class by itself, unbelievably smooth!
natss is offline Find More Posts by natss
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:04 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,934 Posts
I don't think much of the stock batt as it was pooping out at the end of the three minutes, even with throttle management. I switched the batt connectors over to MiniDeans as that's what all my other micros use. I modified a couple of old Zippy Rhinos of 360 ma. Had to widen out the batt compartment just a smidge. Length is the same as the Eflite batt. Mine loops fine from level flight (the 360s may be holding the voltage better). I found the loops were too big with full elev., so I came in a hole on the elev horn. Now it loops tighter, even with an occasional intentional snap roll at the top. consecutive loops are no problem. It wouldn't hold inverted flight till I went in on the control horn. Still tweaking it.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:18 AM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,282 Posts
I'm getting pretty decent flight times with my stock battery 3min at WOT or 4:30min mixed flying. Not too bad for and EDF. I've had several UM and UMX planes and Hyperion and TP batteries will on boost the performance, but I have no real complaints about the stocker. Vertical is lacking, but decent size loops are not a problem for it.

UMX Mig-15 (2 min 50 sec)
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:35 AM
Mayday! Mayday!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2010
771 Posts
Thanks much for all the great feedback. I'll likely adjust my elevator control horns and work on my loop "finesse". I noticed the aileron servos are dialed in with some differential out of the box to make aileron rolls more uniform...very nice!

Love this little EDF! Just got my lipos tonight and looking forward to practicing touch-n-go's tomorrow. My landings need the most work...still a bit "bouncy". I keep forgetting to switch to high rate elevator for better final approach control (believe this is suggested in the manual for landings).
jpt1205 is online now Find More Posts by jpt1205
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:23 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt1205 View Post
Love this little EDF! Just got my lipos tonight and looking forward to practicing touch-n-go's tomorrow.
It's nice we have an available selection of alternate Lipo's. I haven't tried the Hyperion 240 2S configuration, but I have tried these, and the TP 325mAh 2S 65C packs from RCBabble are by far the best. 5 minute flights the norm, and that is with very modest throttle management. Stock Lipo is, IMHO, barely adequate, providing 3 minutes of spirited flight at best. Presently evaluating the Lectron Pro 2S 300mAh 35C pack. As expected, it is running a close second to the MiniAviation 300's.

FWIW

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:45 PM
WHAT THE...
Evansville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,576 Posts
Speaking of batteries... I was wondering if anyone has tried the Electrifly 250mAh batteries for the F-86 Sabre in the MIG. They are a bit thicker and taller than the E-Flite battery, but the battery fits in the cavity OK. There are however, two sets of wires on the Electrifly lipos...balance lead and a mini Deans connector. FYI the Electrifly lipo weighs 16.12 grams vs, the Eflite 13.28 grams (on my scale).

I haven't had a chance to maiden my replacement MIG yet since it has been so windy and wet lately. Today I re-maidened the F-86 and went through 3 batteries with out mishap...so I have my confidence is up to maiden the MIG...still afraid the board may be glitchy like the first one...
barmonkey is offline Find More Posts by barmonkey
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:34 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,282 Posts
I don't mind the stock battery. I've used Hyperion 2s 180s and 240s in other UMX's and they were better than stock ones for sure. That video is just from my second flight and since then I've bumped the timer up to 4:30 and still haven't hit LVC. I know I'm probably getting close. I've had probably 20-30EDFs over the years and I would put bigger motors and batteries in all of them trying to go faster and faster. I never set my timer for more than 5min and I would fly WOT for almost the entire flight. Then I started going to E-jets and I was the only guy really flying WOT for the entire flight. Since then I've tried to learn how to slow down a little. Maybe that's why I'm getting better flight times with the stock battery.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:40 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
and still haven't hit LVC. I know I'm probably getting close.
You don't want to get close. That's not a good metric of 20% reserve. You're much better off tracking how many mAh you're putting back into the battery and adjusting your flight times from there.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:53 PM
The Luftwaffle
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
1,220 Posts
I wonder if there is something wrong with my mig?
It never hits LVC. I know its time to land whent the motor starts going WAHWAHWAHWAHWAH and the rpms drop. I am prettty sure that its a low voltage Thing, but I have never seen a plane do this before. I am using the stock eflite battery. Shouldn't it hit LVC before it goes WAHWAHWAHWAHWAH?

If it means anything my mig is from one of the first production runs, I had been checking HH every few hours until it was in stock and then I ordered.
Waffleman is online now Find More Posts by Waffleman