SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:25 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Try a spare unused channel and try again Jim, maybe something funky is set up and somehow threw a spanner in the works.

The Full THRO, Up ELEV, Left AILE should toggle the REV on and of.
You shouldn't split the Ailerons on the Rx as this causes the AS3X to be only active on one wing Bad times!!
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:31 AM
Joined Aug 2011
820 Posts
Is there a way to re-program the servo?
Otherwise i'll take it back to the LHS and let them deal with it.
i'm not going to purchase a servo reversing cable (even if it is only $3) as it shouldn't never have this problem in the first place.
jim350 is offline Find More Posts by jim350
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:41 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,772 Posts
From what I understand you have to open the Fus, unplug the servo that needs reversing, put the reverser inline, plug in a battery, the servo should then reverse. Unplug the battery and then take out the reverser.

It is a longwinded job that involves opening the plane up. Might just be as well to take it back...
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:26 AM
Joined Aug 2011
820 Posts
Oh so the reverser doesn't stay inline all the time?
Can anyone confirm what the reverser is actually doing. I read further back in the thread that all it does is short the data and ground legs together.
Can anyone confirm this and if so can it be done with a link wire on the servo without opening up the plane?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:02 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
The servo reverser connect either the ground or positive to the data pin (sorry, can't remember 100% for sure, but will check tonight when I get back home). This reverse the servo. For ailerons, if you're lucky, you can sometime do it at the servo itself if the pins are available (that was the case with earlier airplanes). I know the Mig's servos are recessed, and now they apply a load of black gunk on the connectons, so you may be out of luck.

Another way would be to simply poke the wires with a very sharp needle and connect the two needles together. You need somebody to connect the battery while doing all that. Very tricky. Worst case, cut two wires going to servo, do the short, and then resolder and use heatshrink tubing.

Had to do it MANY times... Mostly happened while flying in thick fog, snow, or rain. Seem that water find a way to reverse those servos as well....

If you use the servo reverser, yes, it DOESN'T stay there. You connect, power up, power down, remove, and then simply reconnect your servo, which will be reversed...
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:08 AM
Joined Aug 2011
820 Posts
Thanks RealGambler. If you can confirm which two pins to short i will give it a go with 2 needles.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:28 AM
Mayday! Mayday!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2010
778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
If, like me, you do a lot a flying over rough terrain, you might want to consider serious tail feather reinforcements.

Makes your MiG much more durable!

Dave

OK--after some thought and internal debate, I decided to pull the trigger on the Mig-15. Got it from Quantum Hobby--love those folks! I'd like to get the new SBach as most recommended once it comes out...but not sure when that will happen and I'm impatient.

Anway--after reading thru this thread, looks like I will need to reinforce my horizontal stab and elevator? Is this way pictured the best way to do it or is it just as beneficial to just add some packing tape and go to town. Anyone report H-Stab failure, or is it just a little "weak"? I can order some CF rods (maybe 1mm dia. and some strips, .5mm thick x 3mm wide) to reinforce, but I'm new to this type of mod--can I use foam safe-CA to secure them and skewer as shown? Also--what's the best way to cut CF? Thanks!
jpt1205 is offline Find More Posts by jpt1205
Last edited by jpt1205; Sep 21, 2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:55 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim350 View Post
Thanks RealGambler. If you can confirm which two pins to short i will give it a go with 2 needles.
Well, I do remember using a small screwdriver to short the two pins on the servos itself in earlier versions that didn't had the black gunk. So it seem it was positive and data, since positive is in the middle and data is on one side of the wire.

And I just found this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...30&postcount=9

So, just short positive and data, you should be all right. Beware when using needles... You can break some of those tiny brands/wire inside the wire, and eventually end up with intermittent problems. (humidity can also get in that small hole and eventually, corrosion can happen). So, I would say check if you can access the solder point at the servos first (removing the gunk). Or even pulling the servo out if you have too.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:14 AM
Joined Aug 2011
820 Posts
Big thanks to RealGambler.
I removed the black gunk and shorted data and positive points (orange and red wires) whilst powering on the plane. (Transmitter must be on first)
This has reversed the servo and all operates as it should again :-)
Worth mentioning that the servo can also be centered to any position you wish whilst in this mode.
Thanks again
Jim
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:15 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt1205 View Post
OK--after some thought and internal debate, I decided to pull the trigger on the Mig-15. Got it from Quantum Hobby--love those folks! I'd like to get the new SBach as most recommended once it comes out...but not sure when that will happen and I'm impatient.
Anway--after reading thru this thread, looks like I will need to reinforce my horizontal stab and elevator? Is this way pictured the best way to do it or is it just as beneficial to just add some packing tape and go to town. Anyone report H-Stab failure, or is it just a little "weak"? I can order some CF rods (maybe 1mm dia. and some strips, .5mm thick x 3mm wide) to reinforce, but I'm new to this type of mod--can I use foam safe-CA to secure them and skewer as shown? Also--what's the best way to cut CF? Thanks!
There's certainly more than one way to skin that cat (reinforce the tail elements), and opinions will vary.

The illustrated result worked well for me.

In hindsight, I might leave off the larger CF on the elevators -- they may be stable enough if the hor stab is reinforced all the way out to the tips. (For that, husafreak's shish kabob skewer technique is great.)

Even then, thin CF skewers in the elevators still might be a good idea, for some protection against elevator-tip damage when, in landing, the wing catches on a stray blade of tall grass and she cartwheels!

I'll let the gurus speak to the best methods of working with CF. (I just snip it with a heavy-duty nail-clipper.......)

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:20 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,608 Posts
Quote:
Worth mentioning that the servo can also be centered to any position you wish whilst in this mode.
Thanks again
Jim
Details on this please?
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:23 AM
Joined Aug 2011
820 Posts
Whilst the servo is in it's programming mode you can turn the gears with your fingers to the required position. It will remember this position as the neutral point.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:30 AM
Mayday! Mayday!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2010
778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
There's certainly more than one way to skin that cat (reinforce the tail elements), and opinions will vary.

The illustrated result worked well for me.

In hindsight, I might leave off the larger CF on the elevators -- they may be stable enough if the hor stab is reinforced all the way out to the tips. (For that, husafreak's shish kabob skewer technique is great.)

Even then, thin CF skewers in the elevators still might be a good idea, for some protection against elevator-tip damage when, in landing, the wing catches on a stray blade of tall grass and she cartwheels!

I'll let the gurus speak to the best methods of working with CF. (I just snip it with a heavy-duty nail-clipper.......)

Thanks Pugsam! Are the CF rods/strips the same sizes as I noted? Did you use .5mm or .8mm to do the skewering? And foam safe CA works OK for securing CF to this foam?
jpt1205 is offline Find More Posts by jpt1205
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:30 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,608 Posts
Quote:
Whilst the servo is in it's programming mode you can turn the gears with your fingers to the required position. It will remember this position as the neutral point.
Sweet. That could be very handy.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:35 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt1205 View Post

Yes most agree this is the best way. The Elevator strips are probably unnecessary as Pugsam said. I used the sizes to mentioned on mine, but I didn't skewer as I did mine before someone thought about that idea. If I did it again I would do the skewer method as it looks cleaner. Make sure that strip piece in the middle is one piece pushed through the vertical stab!

Foam safe CA is my preferred method for attaching it.

I cut CF with a razor saw. Then I use fine sand papaer on the cut edge to smooth and prevent fraying.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon