HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:02 PM
Mayday! Mayday!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2010
778 Posts
To Buy or not to Buy?

ALL,
I've had experience with several UM's with mixed excitement levels. Tried the UM Sukhoi early in my flying career and wasn't too thrilled...got the UM T-28 and loved it! Got the UM Beast and really enjoyed it (after my initial crash/re-build and a little more practice)...

I'm currently deployed military and wanted to get a plane that I could easily pack around and would also provide the thrill I felt when I first flew the UM T-28, but with a bit more speed and versatility, like the UM Beast. I would classify myself as more of a pattern guy who likes to fly fast, but not crazy fast and do mild aerobatics...

Is the UM Mig-15 for me? And the best batts seem to be Hyp 240s (Babbelbats?) The other bird I was considering is the UM Stryker (I have a full scale Stryker inbound from Quantum Hobby, but wondering now how I'm going to fit it in my suitcase when I re-deploy home...)

Many thanks for the insights of folks that have flown this bird...I have been lurking on this thread for a while...
jpt1205 is offline Find More Posts by jpt1205
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:40 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
3,120 Posts
It would definitely get my vote for you - for a couple of reasons:
1) It's wind handling is one of the best (I don't have the Beast though, so can't compare). You will definitely have a nice wide flying envelope.
2) As a pattern flyer, it's fantastic. And while I know this is a relative term, I find the speed to be exactly as you described - fast enough to make it enjoyable to watch on a low pass, but not so fast that it gets out of sight - it is a micro.
3) I find it easier to fly than the GeeBee, as long as there is enough air flowing over the control surfaces. A stall is definitely more deadly, but aside from that, it's a great combination of easy-to-fly and challenging-when-you-want-it-to-be.
4) If you have a hard surface to take off and land on, you can pretty much keep yourself wildly entertained doing touch-and-goes. EYE CANDY.

Down sides are:
- flight time (3 min stock batt), but if you have enough batteries, it's a non-issue. I fly 3:30- 4 min on hyperion 240's and have a bunch of them.
- It's an EDF and probably a little under powered. Don't get yourself into a tightspot, you can't just pour on the power to dig yourself out. You wont' notice the lack of power in normal flight - or at least I don't - but you will notice it if you are low, climbing, and suddenly need to get out of the way of an approaching tree or building. Folks with smarter thumbs than mine may not have this trouble.

Go buy it. If nothing else, it's a great way to see if you like EDF's!
whichwaysup is online now Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:43 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt1205 View Post
ALL,
I've had experience with several UM's with mixed excitement levels. Tried the UM Sukhoi early in my flying career and wasn't too thrilled...got the UM T-28 and loved it! Got the UM Beast and really enjoyed it (after my initial crash/re-build and a little more practice)...

I'm currently deployed military and wanted to get a plane that I could easily pack around and would also provide the thrill I felt when I first flew the UM T-28, but with a bit more speed and versatility, like the UM Beast. I would classify myself as more of a pattern guy who likes to fly fast, but not crazy fast and do mild aerobatics...

Is the UM Mig-15 for me? And the best batts seem to be Hyp 240s (Babbelbats?) The other bird I was considering is the UM Stryker (I have a full scale Stryker inbound from Quantum Hobby, but wondering now how I'm going to fit it in my suitcase when I re-deploy home...)

Many thanks for the insights of folks that have flown this bird...I have been lurking on this thread for a while...
That's a tough call. I've owned most of the UMs so far, and I have all of the 2s UMX aircraft except the Hyper Taxi. I am also more of a pattern & scale guy. The MiG is a great flier. It tracks as if on rails & laughs at 20 MPH winds. It is capable of basic aerobatics - however, big-air maneuvers require energy-management skills. The MiG requires a much larger flying space than the UMX Beast or Sbach. However, hand-launching is so easy that even a caveman could do it. The MiG is also a great belly-lander - so it's great for hard-surface and grass-field flying. It is also noticeably faster without the gear. Currently, RCBabbel's lightweight TP 325 mAh 65c UMX pack is the best performer available that will fit the slot & not make the plane overly nose-heavy.

You mentioned that you're more of a pattern guy, that you're looking for a bit more excitement, and that you're deployed military. First off - thank you for your service! Not sure how much flying room you have, but the upcoming AS3X-equipped Sbach 3D might be a good choice. It excels at pattern and 3D (simply adjust the CG & control-throws accordingly), it is a lot faster than the Beast, yet it can slow down to a crawl in high-alpha, and it can be flown in much tighter quarters than the MiG. Plus - it will laugh at 25-30 MPH winds.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:08 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
930 Posts
..35 flights, countable under the fuse with pen stripes
This plane is really a great UMX...fast enough with the German mylipo packs, sounds like hell and looks very scale during flight
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:21 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,792 Posts
Quote:
ALL,

Sounds to me like an Sbach is in order!
There is a new one coming out with AS3X which will handle wind better, the original is such a good plane and is still good in the wind.

I'm not wanting to put you off getting the MiG, it's a great little plane, just that the flight times are shorter, also I feel after reading your post that the Sbach ticks more boxes if you like
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:54 PM
Joined Mar 2012
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Sounds to me like an Sbach is in order!
There is a new one coming out with AS3X which will handle wind better, the original is such a good plane and is still good in the wind.

I'm not wanting to put you off getting the MiG, it's a great little plane, just that the flight times are shorter, also I feel after reading your post that the Sbach ticks more boxes if you like
But which one handles the wind better? the Sbach or the MiG?
Valkpilot is offline Find More Posts by Valkpilot
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:53 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,294 Posts
Quote:
ALL,

If I was trying to decide on one UM or UMX it'd be the Stryker. With a simple prop switch it becomes speedy and climbs at WOT are pretty much unlimited. It does everything its big brother does and does it well. The Mig, while fast,does not have any vertical even close to the Stryker or any other prop driven UMX, but it's an EDF and that makes it cool.
I have the regular size Q and I had a mini and sold it, wish I wouldn't have. They are both a blast to fly. FYI on the big one change the ESC to a 60 and run a 7x5 APC, keep the stock motor and still run 3s 2200's, and you'll love it even more.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:44 PM
Joined Mar 2012
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
If I was trying to decide on one UM or UMX it'd be the Stryker. With a simple prop switch it becomes speedy and climbs at WOT are pretty much unlimited. It does everything its big brother does and does it well. The Mig, while fast,does not have any vertical even close to the Stryker or any other prop driven UMX, but it's an EDF and that makes it cool.
I have the regular size Q and I had a mini and sold it, wish I wouldn't have. They are both a blast to fly. FYI on the big one change the ESC to a 60 and run a 7x5 APC, keep the stock motor and still run 3s 2200's, and you'll love it even more.
WARNING: the Stryker I had was a twitchy little plane and unforgiving. One moment's distraction and I ended up with a pile of confetti and spare parts.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:16 PM
I can fix that!
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Jul 2011
1,048 Posts
[QUOTE=Valkpilot;22759731]WARNING: the Stryker I had was a twitchy little plane and unforgiving. One moment's distraction and I ended up with a pile of confetti and spare parts.[/QUOTE

I've got both the Stryker UM and the big F-27Q, and I found both stable and easy to fly once trimmed. I've been flying for a little more than a year now, and I've had more fun per $ with these two, than with any of my other planes, but....I've crashed both working on the inverted Harrier, and find that now that my airframes are a bit twisted, they ARE twitchy!
I ordered a new wing/body for the UM, and found it to be warped worse than the crash victim.
Basically, I just want to say that they can be a BLAST!.
I'm 58, not some 20 year old gamer with mad thumb skills, but I can keep up with the Stryker.
But having said that, it is definitely not the plane to fly when your thoughts are elsewhere.
doug.wagner is online now Find More Posts by doug.wagner
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:37 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkpilot View Post
WARNING: the Stryker I had was a twitchy little plane and unforgiving. One moment's distraction and I ended up with a pile of confetti and spare parts.
I didn't have that experience at all. Very stable little wing. Add about 10% more expo than the recommended. That's what it's for. The expo they give you is a starting point. I fly with about 50% on all my planes and dial up or down accordingly. Only going above above 70% will give you too much of a dull spot.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:45 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
ALL,

A lot of very good points were made but one was left out: If you are deployed now I'd be afraid to fly that Russian MiG, might get shot down

Seriously though the new Sbach and MiG would both be great choices. The sbach for more aerobatics and the MiG for scale flying. The Sbach has a much wider flight envelope and require less than 1/3 the space a Mig needs however opened up it is nearly as fast.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:12 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
3,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
however opened up it is nearly as fast.

-Brian
Based on Chucks vid, that new sbach might be faster!
whichwaysup is online now Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:56 PM
Mayday! Mayday!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2010
778 Posts
UMX Mig 15: To Buy or not to Buy?

Many thanks for all your feedback on this bird! I didn't mean to distract the thread...

It looks like in summation though, for my flying preferences, the feedback was primarily in favor of the new UMX SBach 3D, then a toss-up between the UMX Stryker and the UMX Mig 15...

You've given me a lot to think about...maybe I'll just have to buy/sample them all over the course of the year Wouldn't it be great if funds were not a limiting factor! So many choices, this is an amazing time to be in this hobby! Thanks again!
jpt1205 is offline Find More Posts by jpt1205
Last edited by jpt1205; Sep 17, 2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:29 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
What part of the world are you deployed in?

Is it a highly windy environment? Extremely hot etc???
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:43 PM
Joined Mar 2012
756 Posts
Quote:
Many thanks for all your feedback on this bird! I didn't mean to distract the thread...

It looks like in summation though, for my flying preferences, the feedback was primarily in favor of the new UMX SBach 3D, then a toss-up between the UMX Stryker and the UMX Mig 15...

You've given me a lot to think about...maybe I'll just have to buy/sample them all over the course of the year So many choices, this is an amazing time to be in this hobby! Thanks again!
Well if you have your own computer or laptop, you could "sample" them
with the Phoenix R/C Pro Simulator V4.0. Just tell them you want to fly drones.