HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:46 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Hmmmm, is there such a thing as a Mig with snow skis (full scale?). Though, I also agree, would not be too good if that vacuum would suck in some snow... Well, I guess I'll store my Mig for the winter and use my other airplanes!
Yah, it's hard to put a jet fighter on snow skis.

The Soviets did put them on other types, though, and the USN tested a jet with water skis.

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:56 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
ROG = Rise Off Ground
ROS = Rise Off Snow
ROW = Rise Off Water
Joel
Could you say this is ROD (dirt) or ROS (sand)?

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:23 AM
Women Fly Too
Twentynine Palms, CA USA
Joined Jul 2004
1,061 Posts
Sorry about that, We don't get much snow in the desert, so I guess I was fixated on what we have a lot of, sand.
The model certainly looks like it has the power to ROG, so snow should be easy if packed. Take out something to flatten a small runway and do it.
CrashCaley is offline Find More Posts by CrashCaley
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:05 AM
Pan Pan, Pan Pan, Mayday
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,473 Posts
My head hurts...

Quote:
Speaking of snow....I wonder how the MiG would handle ROS takeoffs & belly-landings. I'm thinking that the fan would probably ingest a bit of the white stuff on the takeoff run.

Joel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Thought ROS was Roll On Snow, not Sand
Quote:
Crash & SP,

ROG = Rise Off Ground
ROS = Rise Off Snow
ROW = Rise Off Water
I'm proper confused now!!!
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nearly done!!
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:57 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Could you say this is ROD (dirt) or ROS (sand)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashCaley View Post
Sorry about that, We don't get much snow in the desert, so I guess I was fixated on what we have a lot of, sand.
The model certainly looks like it has the power to ROG, so snow should be easy if packed. Take out something to flatten a small runway and do it.
Quote:
I'm proper confused now!!!
Dave,

I'd call that SDEIOT. Sanding Down Engine Internals On Takeoff. It is amazing how much punishment the P&W R2800 could take. It was designed to operate @190% rated power continuously for over 100 hours non-stop. P-47 crew chiefs often cranked the turbo up to 150" Hg of manifold pressure. That's nearly 60 pounds (psig) of boost ! Modern TF dragsters only run around 35 pounds of boost.

Crash,

LOL! Yeah, I guess snow would not be the first thing you'd think of down there! Packing the snow down first is a great idea. I hadn't thought of that yet, and they say we only have two seasons in Minnesota - winter & road repair! That's pretty darn good for someone who lives where ROS means Rise off Sand! (Sorry - I just couldn't resist.) Regarding the power - in one of the demo videos, a factory pilot did a ROG belly takeoff on grass. I think it was at SEFF. Looked like there was plenty of power for that, so ROS shouldn't be a problem power-wise. However, my experience with driving on frozen lakes & in extreme winter conditions, and what happens when you hit tall snowdrifts with a car or truck at, say, 25 MPH or more tells me that a screw-up during the takeoff or landing will likely pack the air duct full of snow all the way back to the outlet. I can't even count the number of times I've seen the entire front-end of a vehicle completely snow-packed from the radiator to the firewall - with just enough room for the belts & fan to keep turning (or sometimes not.) I suppose one could hang the MiG vertically over the sink & use a hairdryer to 'deice' the plane....

SP,

Don't worry. You'll get some of that around here, on occasion.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Sep 16, 2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Yah, it's hard to put a jet fighter on snow skis.

The Soviets did put them on other types, though, and the USN tested a jet with water skis.

Yep, that's a Delta Sea Dart. Didn't work out too well since it need very calm water for take offs. There's some video on Youtube of the testing on San Diego Bay.

Coincidentally, many years later, I got stuck behind one that was on the back of a truck going up I10 being transported to its new owner. You talk about tying up traffic. The driver was doing like 30mph for 2 hr's.
19000rpm is offline Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:41 PM
The Luftwaffle
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
831 Posts
Nosewheel problems... fixed!!!

So before I fly the mig the first time, I taxi it down the diveway, and it pops upoff the ground unexpectedly, and then has a rather hard landing... the nosewheel assembaly breaks off. I made a new one with a paperclip, and It has held up for a few months where the stock one lasted a few seconds. It just bends backwards instead of breaking.
Waffleman is offline Find More Posts by Waffleman
Old Sep 16, 2012, 03:14 PM
Pan Pan, Pan Pan, Mayday
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,473 Posts
You've been beat to that!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 05:27 PM
The Luftwaffle
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
831 Posts
Quote:
You've been beat to that!!!
Dang it... But I did this back when it first came out... so i was first i figure
ah well who cares
Waffleman is offline Find More Posts by Waffleman
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:07 PM
Pan Pan, Pan Pan, Mayday
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,473 Posts
Yeah, who cares?
After all, great minds think alike!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:20 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,288 Posts
Quote:
Looking forward to testing the new Hyp 35c VX packs in the MiG! What a great time it is to be in this hobby!

Joel
Joel, Be wary of that nose weight. Those new VX packs even when "Babbelbattized" are still almost the same weight as the 3S 320 I tested out. On mine I really needed quite a bit of elevator to keep her level. Landings were quite fast too, even at full elevator high rates. I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:01 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Joel, Be wary of that nose weight. Those new VX packs even when "Babbelbattized" are still almost the same weight as the 3S 320 I tested out. On mine I really needed quite a bit of elevator to keep her level. Landings were quite fast too, even at full elevator high rates. I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform.

-Brian
Brian,

I was thinking about that. Can't remember who posted the mod, but I'm thinking about routing out the belly so I can flush-mount the packs horizontally, and extending the mounting area further aft so I can still get the CG right with the larger packs. 4-minute flights just aren't long enough for me.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Sep 17, 2012 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Typo
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:39 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,709 Posts
Bought a little 30mm F-4 at the RC flea market today for $10 !

It was airframe only, meaning had the fan but no motor, but here's the kicker: the guy had spare motors for.... a buck!

Needless to say, between me and my buddy, we gobbled whatever he had on hand, not even sure what KV or other particulars are... I grabbed three myself -- will check it out later to see if it is a suitable replacement for the Mig's ailing powerplant. At a buck a pop, it was worth grabbing them even if they are wrong KV. The can size and length looks right by eyeballing it.

If it works, then I'll provide pics, and any brand/size/part number info that is on them.
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:47 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
5,995 Posts
Wouldn't happen to look like this would it. When 2Dog first got these they were 30mm.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ss_motor_.html
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hangar 9 P-40b
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:03 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
Wouldn't happen to look like this would it. When 2Dog first got these they were 30mm.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ss_motor_.html
That's the critter!

And I pulled the motors to take a peek at the label. Here is what they are -- looks like we got a one-time good price, but they are wrong KV for the Mig, UNLESS you want to go to more fan blades and 3S....

Quote:
Feigao 1208425 Brushless Motor

$32.99
Feigao 1208425 Brushless Motor (0.6 oz, 17.0 g)
Specifications:

Model: 1208425L
Windings: 25 Turns
Max Current: 5.5 A
Resistance: 0.316 Ohm
Kv: 5866 RPM/V
Io: 0.6 A
Shaft Size: 1.5 mm Diameter, 6.0 mm Length
Weight: 17 g ( 0.6 oz)
Dimensions: 12.0 mm Diameter x 31.0 mm Length

Recommended ESC: Castle Creations Phoenix 10

MIG-15 motor specs:

Quote:
E-flite BL180m Ducted Fan Motor, 11750Kv

E-flite's BL180m DF Brushless Motor is an ideal choice for products such as E-flite’s UMX MiG 15 and other similar-sized ducted fan airplanes when using the purpose-built Delta-V 180m 28mm EDF (EFLDF180m).

The motor will provide great performance in 28mm diameter fan units requiring a 10mm inrunner motor.

Product Code: EFLM30180MDFA
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob