HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:48 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2012
281 Posts
Clear that duct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
I can't speak from experience but from looking at these threads for a long time...It appears that your wires have come loose from ducts...The wires are supposed to be taped to the walls of the duct...I would use something like the eraser end of a pencil or a long dowel with a rounded end to adhere the wires back to the sides of the duct...The wires hanging in the way will definately cause a loss of thrust...FWIW, when new I would take a dowel, pencil, or whatever and make sure that the wires are secured on the inside of the duct walls...Once you run the fan, dust can get lodged on the tape if loose and exposed, rendering the tape ineffective...Surgery will then be needed...

Kevin
Yep, tap the wires against the wall of the duct. Use chopsticks, they are longer than a pencil. Also the wires that go to the fan: move them a bit so they obstruct the least amount of the duct.

Now a jet is a jet. It flies between 85% and 100% thrust. I used to own a umx Beast and they are complete opposite.

Learn to launch it with your left hand. Use your mouth to put the throttle at 100%, and your right hand to actually control the MiG while it gathers speed. Launch it exactly as your Beast (a gentle toss), maybe a bit harder.

Look at it while you launch. It'll be behind the power curve. Let the nose down slowly to let it accelerate (but keep it off the ground). Don't get nervous, the stabilization system will keep it level unless you screw up. Launch it in the wind. Yes, duh, but you won't get away with it like the Beast launching any direction you want. A few mph helps here.

Once it accelerates, and flies fast enough, your regular throttle is about 90%. Manage the throttle like any other plane, but instead of your "neutral" throttle being at 60-70% like a prop job, it's 90%.

It's a swept wing. It likes speed. The stabilization system is awesome and it will land slowly, but don't get too slow, the wing tips are fragile and it will drop a wing eventually if you go too slow.
WBKelsoe is offline Find More Posts by WBKelsoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:17 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,711 Posts
I know it's been repeated here but I can NOT help it;

Flew her today in steady 5mph gusting up to 10mph winds & she sliced & diced thru the air! with ease! She handled the wind with no problems!!! You could visibly see her getting "tossed" around a bit but it was no problem at all!! & her downwind speed was CA-RAY-ZEE fast, LOL, I had a blast!! I couldn't wait to get thru my 2 E-flite batts so I can use my 2s 240mAh Babbel Batts, I know there's a huge difference but WOW, I really noticed it heading into the wind!! Love those batts Roger, THANKS!!!
rcoconut is online now Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:14 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,669 Posts
RCOCONUT - I don't think that can be said too often. This thing flat out handles wind better than my full sized T 28. I've only had mine a couple of months and it's gotten so much air time that I think I've blown the motor bearing already (the same day that my big T 28 blew it's ESC ).
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:48 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,199 Posts
Kalmon - they're both the same.

If you're not running 3S you can get some inexpensively priced bearings for around .20 -.90 cents each from ebay. I have gotten many replacement bearing from there.

For those of you who don't venture over to the micro RTF forum - there's a UMX Mig mod thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1668461
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:03 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
I captured the data sent to the brick during programming and here it is.

3D Aerobatic
All directions normal - Horizontal:
Write:
AA 02 00 14 12 14 09 09 09 01

AA 02 00 14 02 14 09 09 09 F1 Roll only reversed
AA 02 00 00 12 14 09 09 09 ED Pitch only reversed
AA 02 00 14 12 00 09 09 09 ED Yaw only reversed

Beast 3D:
AA 02 00 14 13 14 09 09 09 02

MIG-15:
AA 02 00 14 10 10 09 09 09 FB

High Speed:
AA 02 00 10 10 10 07 07 07 F1

Sport Scale
AA 02 00 14 14 14 09 09 09 03

There is so little data being sent for the large config files.

-Brian
Nice job Brian. It looks like it will be easy to set up our own settings, turning things up and down.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:34 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,230 Posts
Just got mine! Charged it up and flew it at the park across the street. Flies SOOOOO much better than the 35mm's for sure. Hand launched it with the gear off and it hand launches are a cake walk. WOT toss into the wind and she was straight off. 2 clicks down and 2 clicks aileron right on my JR and she flew straight and level. Did some low passes about 5' off the deck and was comfortable doing it. The Mig felt rock solid in the gentle breeze.
kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:30 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,711 Posts
Congrats with the maiden kuczy!! I recently started flying without the gear and I was so surprised how easy the hand launch was! Threw her like I was tossing darts and she flew straight and true!! Wait 'til the gently breeze turns into a steady wind with gusts! I'm ALWAYS dorking out with my anemometer to check on the wind, today was a record for me, LOL!! I know she can handle more that's for sure!! Have fun!!
rcoconut is online now Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:22 PM
Joined Feb 2007
6,230 Posts
2nd flight 100% stock
UMX Mig-15 (2 min 50 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:00 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,669 Posts
Nice flyin' Kuczy! I thought you were going to lose her at 1:37 - might have been the camera angle though! BTW, you really need to tell those people who were taking a walk to find another location. The nerve of them to trespass on your flying site!

I put a drop of mechanical oil on my rear bearing yesterday, hoping to get it to last a little longer. It seemed to have helped, so with a little luck I can replace the motor after I buy the spitfire, the new corsair, and that AS3X Sbach that Flyrtim keeps tempting me with. . .

I did manage to crash my Mig today, with very minor damage though. Got into a tight spot between the trees and the church building where I was flying and tried to gain altitude too fast. I saw the wings wobble and knew I was in trouble. Sure enough, I lost critical airflow over the control surfaces and could only watch as she disappeared over the roof of the building. Thankfully, I found her on the other side on her wheels with a new nose scar. A little hot water this a.m. and she's good as new.

BTW, on the Mig Mod thread, someone recommended using the UM mustang LG to replace the nose wheel. I found the Paperclip to be too flexible, and my own wire ended up being too bouncy. The UM Mustang wire seemed to be just about right.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:12 AM
Joined Feb 2007
6,230 Posts
Yeah I was showing off a little. I tried to KE passed the camera and when I had to roll in the opposite direction it snapped hard, but I got it back quickly luckily.

There is a walk path over on the other side of the park. I just fly my Addiction and small stuff there. Most people just want to watch. I try to stay tight when people are around, or not fly at all. The park runs along a par 4 and I make sure no one is on the course before I go over, cant help it when people come out of the tree line and I'm already up though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:41 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,307 Posts
just a heads up guys i posted my crashed mig for sale in the classifieds area so if you need parts grab it up lol....
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post22717599
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:59 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyplugs View Post
just a heads up guys i posted my crashed mig for sale in the classifieds area so if you need parts grab it up lol....
well that sold fast

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:25 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,307 Posts
ha ha it sure did...
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:53 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyplugs View Post
ARRGGhhh - someone got a GREAT deal on that one!! I suspect that Flyrtim snapped that one up and we'll see that Mig resurrected as an AS3X Sbach. Maybe I'll end up with those parts after all!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:23 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
ARRGGhhh - someone got a GREAT deal on that one!! I suspect that Flyrtim snapped that one up and we'll see that Mig resurrected as an AS3X Sbach. Maybe I'll end up with those parts after all!
Nope, this Tim got it. The radio gear will eventually find its way into a Herr Fokker D-VII conversion.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member