SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:57 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_flyer View Post
I maidened my Mig 15 a couple of days ago. Although I have built a few EDFs this is my first actual edf flight.
After 3 bad hand launches (all due to lack of skill ) 4th time lucky it took off. All I was brave enough to do was circuits, and was not looking forward to landing, but it seems I didnt have to worry because I crashed into a tree before the 3 minutes was up
Luckily, even though a wing and the whole tail fell off, damage was minor and easy to fix. I'm so glad I found a field with long grass it reduces damage hugely.

Sorry about the awful video, bad angle of the head-cam. Fast forwad to crash 2:00

I flew yesterday too, no problems at all, I love coming back from the field with a intact plane!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5VEPkX4jI8
LOL - so, I'm watching the first few seconds of your video thinking, "WOW! THAT IS ONE FAST MIG!!! It's just zipping in and out of the frame so fast he can't even keep up with it. No wonder it went into a tree!"

Then I realized that it was a bug.

Sorry to hear about your maiden going out on a limb, but glad to hear your second flight went much better!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:56 AM
Littleton, CO
Joined Jun 2009
280 Posts
I am able to get 3 minutes at half throttle. Half throttle is better then full throttle on 2s.

Have not made any mods or added heat sinks. Plane is completely stock minus the battery. I think the advantage I have over some is the elevation I fly at. It is about 5800' asl. I saw a lot having OCP with the Gee Bee but we never had any here. I have not tried it in the middle of the day when temps are 100 degrees but even the video was taken when it was 90 plus.

As far as unlimited vertical. It turns in to a speck quick and wants to keep going when I back out. More worried about rx range.
jedoug is offline Find More Posts by jedoug
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:39 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Yes I limited to 80% on the throttle on 3S.
At 80%(WOT for my purposes) The Vertical is almost unlimited, 60* climbs on takeoff and it accelerates!
I used heatsinks, Although Nitros FET stacking method is probably better, it is more expensive, though not by much. More importantly, to me at least, Stacking FETs requires soldering on these little tiny boards

I just test flew RCBabbels newest 3S 320mAh pack last night. 3 1/2 - 4 min flights are achievable with this pack. Full flight review will be later tonight. Right now I'm struggling to manage 2 kids under 2 and under!

-Brian
Brian: Thanks for this info. Can you advise where you got the heat sinks, their part number, and possibly a photo of them installed on the MiG 15 brick. I would think this would be an absolute necessity, when running 3S, but Jeff apparently is having good luck w/o the need for heat sinks. Amazing stuff here.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:54 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
Brian: Thanks for this info. Can you advise where you got the heat sinks, their part number, and possibly a photo of them installed on the MiG 15 brick. I would think this would be an absolute necessity, when running 3S, but Jeff apparently is having good luck w/o the need for heat sinks. Amazing stuff here.

RD
Erkq got me the heatsinks, read here on the B3D thread.

I think I posted a while back with how to install the heatsinks. I'll look back and edit with a link.
*Edit - link here Post 774.

I'll also post later with an image of them installed on my AS3X Sbach with the same Mig NBL board.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Last edited by kalmon; Sep 05, 2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: added link
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:57 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
Amazing stuff here.

RD
Agreed. This thing just needs a *little* more power (hah, how many times has THAT been said throughout history?). I wish there was a way to get it without the 3S battery and all the stuff that goes along with it. Not sure I want to go to 3S, but I'm not sure I can be satisfied with the current power . . .
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:05 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Agreed. This thing just needs a *little* more power (hah, how many times has THAT been said throughout history?). I wish there was a way to get it without the 3S battery and all the stuff that goes along with it. Not sure I want to go to 3S, but I'm not sure I can be satisfied with the current power . . .
Nitro has installed a 27mm 7blade fan, He said it has much better thrust with it. check out the Mig Mod thread.

-Brian
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:11 PM
Littleton, CO
Joined Jun 2009
280 Posts
A 3s pack increases the amp draw quite a bit so those of you that have more air and humidity may have problems. Our adjusted altitude on some days is 8500 -9500' above sea level. Single digit humidity. So not much to load up the fan unit.

We have to set up our things a little different to get the performance. Although friends that come up here say their planes fly a lot faster up here then sea level.

I can try to post some pics when I get home to show my stock brick but my mig has not been opened so I'll shoot through the canopy. Not sure how it will turn out.

Jeff
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:46 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedoug View Post
Here is a video of my Mig on a 3S pack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17BLm...eature=g-all-u
Wow....the sound is really amazing
Louder isn't always faster..what do you mean is the difference in speed to the 2S version ? You wrote about not full power flights with 3S but shorter flight time with the 3S pack.....
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:30 PM
Littleton, CO
Joined Jun 2009
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
Wow....the sound is really amazing
Louder isn't always faster..what do you mean is the difference in speed to the 2S version ? You wrote about not full power flights with 3S but shorter flight time with the 3S pack.....
Flying the 3s pack at half is quite a bit faster then flying 2s at full. The first few flights I only did full throttle for very short burst. I now have close to 25 flights with the 3s pack and push it harder every time. Full throttle I get 2 mins. 15 secs. before motor cuts off. The pack will read 0 - 1% of battery left. For $12 I don't care about the packs. So if they have a short life oh well.

Tempted to try the Micro Stryker on 3s

Jeff
Old Sep 05, 2012, 04:07 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Erkq got me the heatsinks, read here on the B3D thread.

I think I posted a while back with how to install the heatsinks. I'll look back and edit with a link.
*Edit - link here Post 774.

I'll also post later with an image of them installed on my AS3X Sbach with the same Mig NBL board.

-Brian
Many thanks for the info.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Sep 05, 2012, 04:17 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Not sure I want to go to 3S, but I'm not sure I can be satisfied with the current power . . .
I run the Mini Aviation 300mAh 2S, 30C Lipos and the Thunder Power 325mAh 2S, 65C Lipos. No question but that the TP's are the best so far for best performance, all else being stock. The MA's are nice, I just don't get the flight times (average 4-1/2 - 5 min.) that I get with the TP's (5 - 5-1/2 min), using a modicum of throttle management with both brands. I get the TP's from RCBabble. Nice packs. The MA's are a pretty blue! Supplied E-flite 200mAh 2S 25C Lipo is really inadequite, IMHO. If you are using the stock Lipo(s), then you should consider one of the alternates described above.

edit: Note I am NOT flying the packs to SLVC, unless by accident. I'm trying to cycle these pack properly for enhanced performance and battery life.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Doug Sipprell; Sep 06, 2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:47 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,200 Posts
Just so we are clear - running the motor on 3S could cause bearing failure. My rear bearing has already failed and I only flew it once on 3S. I don't think I have had more than 30 flights so far.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:52 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedoug View Post

Tempted to try the Micro Stryker on 3s

Jeff
That brick's ESC smoked quite often on 3S. The Beast 3D is the only reliable 3S brick we've found so far and now the MIG seems to be a non-smoking 3S brick too. Just a word of warning... you may well toast your Stryker on 3S.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:31 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Just so we are clear - running the motor on 3S could cause bearing failure. My rear bearing has already failed and I only flew it once on 3S. I don't think I have had more than 30 flights so far.
+1 take extra care when running on 3S! This is part of the reason I have my throttle limited on 3S. This keeps the rpms down a bit. Bearing still may go but at least Nitro was kind enough to post a link to a nice 100k+ rpm bearing and a video on how to change it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
That brick's ESC smoked quite often on 3S. The Beast 3D is the only reliable 3S brick we've found so far and now the MIG seems to be a non-smoking 3S brick too. Just a word of warning... you may well toast your Stryker on 3S.
+1 Really any AS3X brick *should* be safe on 3S. All the AS3X bricks have the bigger 5.8Amp ESC whereas the non-AS3X ones have a 3A ESC

-Brian
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:40 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Yup.

Don't ask me how I know....

tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob