HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2012, 11:46 AM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmonkey View Post
Just picked one of these up a couple of days ago. I was hoping for a maiden, but it looks like a few days of rain ahead. Unfortunately, the rain isn't my only isssue. I was checking the control surfaces and one of the aileron servos quit responding...right now I am wondering if I should send it back or just buy a new servo. Any thoughts?
I would call HH and they will almost assuredly send out a new servo. Their customer support is exceptional from my experience. (I have a LOT of their stuff.)
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2012, 12:26 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Just picked one of these up a couple of days ago. I was hoping for a maiden, but it looks like a few days of rain ahead. Unfortunately, the rain isn't my only isssue. I was checking the control surfaces and one of the aileron servos quit responding...right now I am wondering if I should send it back or just buy a new servo. Any thoughts?
I had that happen to me with 3 Carbon Cubs SS but I advised my LHS the issue of "stuck" servos before I walked out the door. They told me if anything happens to bring it back and they'll take care of it.

With the 3rd one I called HH & they offered to send me a new servo but I didn't want to dig into a new plane so I returned it to my LHS & waited impatiently for the MiG. BUT HH said if I have any problems with the return to call them immediately for a refund and return shipping information.

I've been lucky so far with my MiG, good luck which every way you go. HH will take great care of you if you talk with them, outstanding Customer Service (The only planes in my fleet are HH aircraft )
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Sep 01, 2012, 01:07 PM
WHAT THE...
Evansville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,576 Posts
Kind of bummed about this...but it is much better that it failed before I had a chance to fly it. After Labor day, I'll have to check with the local Hobbytown USA where I purchased it.

I suppose that if they will send me a new servo I'll be OK with that. I'd rather not have to dig into a new plane to replace it...but odds are if I got another one there may be something else wrong with the replacement (with my luck). Shouldn't be too difficult of an operation.

Maybe I'll take the down time and do a repaint in a Luft '46 scheme. Anyone have luck removing the factory red paint?
barmonkey is online now Find More Posts by barmonkey
Old Sep 01, 2012, 03:52 PM
Sweden, Linkoping
Joined Jun 2012
32 Posts
Quote:
I was checking the control surfaces and one of the aileron servos quit responding...
Happened to me too, I was happily trimming in my new MiG when one of the aileron servos started buzzing and got burning hot. Turned out that the servo motor shaft had broke. Didn't even get the chance to maiden it.

It was a looong week before I got the replacement - sorry that the same thing happened to you. The positive thing about that mess was that the replacement didn't need any trimming, and that the first one at least didn't break during flight.
tramsgar is offline Find More Posts by tramsgar
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:23 PM
Suspended Account
Switzerland
Joined Aug 2012
173 Posts
Is "AS3K" just another name for gyro?

Can someone buy UMX parts from Horizon Hobby and build their own micro plane?
mikhail tupulov is offline Find More Posts by mikhail tupulov
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:33 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,665 Posts
Yeah, AS3X is Horizon Hobby's gyro stabilisation system
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:35 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhail tupulov View Post
Is "AS3K" just another name for gyro?

Can someone buy UMX parts from Horizon Hobby and build their own micro plane?
It's "AS3X". Supposedly it has some mixing or something in addition to gyros? It's never been clear to me.

And yes you can build from parts but it costs more. The only reason I've built from parts is to make an AS3X equipped Sbach.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:21 PM
Littleton, CO
Joined Jun 2009
280 Posts
Here is a video of my Mig on a 3S pack.

UMX Mig 15 on 3 cells (3 min 11 sec)
jedoug is offline Find More Posts by jedoug
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:19 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,734 Posts
Wow, nice flight and man does that thing ever SCOOT on 3cells! Where did you get the 3Cells from and did they come with the Eflite connector on them?

Great stuff,

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:30 AM
Littleton, CO
Joined Jun 2009
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
Wow, nice flight and man does that thing ever SCOOT on 3cells! Where did you get the 3Cells from and did they come with the Eflite connector on them?

Great stuff,

Marlin
I bought the pack from my local hobby shop. They come with a JST connector so I made an adapter for them so I still have the stock UMX connector on the plane.

Here is a link to the pack

http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-g3-cx...ly-p-5108.html

Just keep in mind I have no idea how long the board will last like this.

Jeff
jedoug is offline Find More Posts by jedoug
Old Sep 05, 2012, 03:50 AM
Heli & Warbird Fan
Bavaria, Germany
Joined Jun 2009
440 Posts
Wow! Impressive! This video makes me want to have a 3s MiG 15 too!
-=RAGE=- is offline Find More Posts by -=RAGE=-
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:37 AM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedoug View Post
I bought the pack from my local hobby shop. They come with a JST connector so I made an adapter for them so I still have the stock UMX connector on the plane.

Here is a link to the pack

http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-g3-cx...ly-p-5108.html

Just keep in mind I have no idea how long the board will last like this.

Jeff
Nice video, so with the 3S 180mAh you are down to only a 2 minute flight time?
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:08 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,940 Posts
Very nice vid - I've been feeling like my Mig is underpowered but going to 3S seems like a lot of compromises. A couple questions:
1) Brian (Kalmon) converted to 3S but said he couldn't hit full throttle, are you having the same issue (Brian, correct me if I'm wrong or outdated here).
2) Did you have to use heatsinks, etc to keep the brick cool?
3) How is the vertical? the loop made it look unlimited, but curious.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:32 AM
we can take off without that
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
880 Posts
I maidened my Mig 15 a couple of days ago. Although I have built a few EDFs this is my first actual edf flight.
After 3 bad hand launches (all due to lack of skill ) 4th time lucky it took off. All I was brave enough to do was circuits, and was not looking forward to landing, but it seems I didnt have to worry because I crashed into a tree before the 3 minutes was up
Luckily, even though a wing and the whole tail fell off, damage was minor and easy to fix. I'm so glad I found a field with long grass it reduces damage hugely.

Sorry about the awful video, bad angle of the head-cam. Fast forwad to crash 2:00

I flew yesterday too, no problems at all, I love coming back from the field with a intact plane!

Parkzone Mig15 first flight & crash (2 min 5 sec)
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:43 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Very nice vid - I've been feeling like my Mig is underpowered but going to 3S seems like a lot of compromises. A couple questions:
1) Brian (Kalmon) converted to 3S but said he couldn't hit full throttle, are you having the same issue (Brian, correct me if I'm wrong or outdated here).
2) Did you have to use heatsinks, etc to keep the brick cool?
3) How is the vertical? the loop made it look unlimited, but curious.
Yes I limited to 80% on the throttle on 3S.
At 80%(WOT for my purposes) The Vertical is almost unlimited, 60* climbs on takeoff and it accelerates!
I used heatsinks, Although Nitros FET stacking method is probably better, it is more expensive, though not by much. More importantly, to me at least, Stacking FETs requires soldering on these little tiny boards

I just test flew RCBabbels newest 3S 320mAh pack last night. 3 1/2 - 4 min flights are achievable with this pack. Full flight review will be later tonight. Right now I'm struggling to manage 2 kids under 2 and under!

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon