Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:53 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
What about simple old silicone spray lube? It usually is good for electronic circuits to prevent water or moisture issues, and it is slick on eveything. Just wouldn't want to get it on a surface you would want to paint later. Any comments?

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:06 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
What about simple old silicone spray lube? It usually is good for electronic circuits to prevent water or moisture issues, and it is slick on eveything. Just wouldn't want to get it on a surface you would want to paint later. Any comments?

Fred
Slick isn't what you're looking for. You're looking for something to clean off the black gunk that accumulates on the resistive strip and makes the servo unable reach the desired position.

Yes, a can of deoxit seems expensive but it's a near lifetime supply and works! What more can you ask? The model(s) you save will appreciate it.
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:14 PM
That will simply buff out
Australia, NSW, Kareela
Joined Jul 2001
282 Posts
Any ideas?

Repaired my MIG-15 with a new Fuse and top deck after a bad nose in

All looks fine and a quick spin up on the bench all seems well

A couple flights with both the original battery and nano-tech 300mah 2S batteries and it is very low on power (cannot even loop) and after about 60 secs it completely shuts down as if the battery has reach its limit

Will be having a look at it on the weekend but any suggestions on where to start the troublshooting would be appreciated, as it is not flyable in it current condition

Cheers
Boofhead is offline Find More Posts by Boofhead
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:42 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Also, I need a little help. My Mig is Migbehaving. I'm getting a very dangerous roll when using sudden up elevator commands. Instead of shooting straight up like she used to, she'll drop the port (left, nose away from me) wing. I generally don't use full or sudden up elevator commands, but crashed the other day because my attempt to pull up was foiled by this roll. I'm thinking my horizontal stablizer is at fault, but I've already stiffened it as shown on this thread. Thoughts??? Perhaps Count's positive mystic thing translated to a negative mystic thing for me!
It might be worth doing a positive control check on the Elevators. Sounds to me that only the Port Elevator is working when there is a high airflow over it.

There are various ways to do this check but I think the easiest way with these tiny models would be to give full up elevator then gently try to push the surface downwards. Be very careful, being too heavy handed could very easily damage something. Just gently try to move it to see if there is any play in the control rods or mechanism.

Might be worth opening it up for a good visual check first...

Tony
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:46 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofhead View Post

A couple flights with both the original battery and nano-tech 300mah 2S batteries and it is very low on power (cannot even loop) and after about 60 secs it completely shuts down as if the battery has reach its limit

Will be having a look at it on the weekend but any suggestions on where to start the troublshooting would be appreciated, as it is not flyable in it current condition

Cheers
Is it possible that the glue used to hold the brick in place is not conducting the heat away properly?

It has been noted that the MiG has a very poor airflow for cooling the brick etc. too much glue could be acting like a blanket and triggering OTP

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:23 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,757 Posts
I actually have de-oxit - but I didn't want to open a new Mig. Shouldn't have to! I opted for replacement

But yeah, I do use it, it does work. I got the two pack from RatShack.
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:46 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofhead View Post

Cheers
Start with a CLOSE inspection of the fan unit and impeller. Look for misalignment, rubbing etc.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:45 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,554 Posts
BB Hyp (3S) 320mAh

3SBrian has agreed to test my latest batt in his MiG.

Should be interesting at 1oz.

Dimensions:

L x W x H
50x24x11.75mm

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:37 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,981 Posts
With a TP tap
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:20 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,182 Posts
A Warning About Running the Fan on 3S!

Here's a big heads up guys!

My rear bearing has gone already.!!!

I am just about to upload a 'how to replace it' video, but this bearing failure may have been the result of running it above spec on 3S instead of the intended 2S.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:35 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovey View Post
What you need is DeoxIT FaderLube F5. FaderLube F5 is designed specifically for the type of mechanism seen in these linear servos.
Yes this is the correct DeoxIT to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
3SBrian has agreed to test my latest batt in his MiG.

Should be interesting at 1oz.

Dimensions:

L x W x H
50x24x11.75mm

rc
What a porker, and the battery looks heavy too

looking forward to more than 2:20 min 3S flights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Here's a big heads up guys!

My rear bearing has gone already.!!!

I am just about to upload a 'how to replace it' video, but this bearing failure may have been the result of running it above spec on 3S instead of the intended 2S.
Yikes already? Mine still sound ok, however I have my throttle limited to 75% so it might last a little longer. I'm really looking forward to the video and I might take mine apart and put in some 100k bearings just to be proactive. Don't forget to go wobbly about the bodgy e-flite bearing, crikey! (I need to hear more of that aussie slang)

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:54 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
It might be worth doing a positive control check on the Elevators. Sounds to me that only the Port Elevator is working when there is a high airflow over it.

There are various ways to do this check but I think the easiest way with these tiny models would be to give full up elevator then gently try to push the surface downwards. Be very careful, being too heavy handed could very easily damage something. Just gently try to move it to see if there is any play in the control rods or mechanism.

Might be worth opening it up for a good visual check first...

Tony
Thanks Tony - I'll give that a try. I actually (re) reinforced my horizontal stab thinking that might still be the problem - my CF reinforcements were only .020 so weren't giving much strength. I used a bit of very thin, very strong wire and took her out this a.m.. SOMETHING is definitely funky, because if I pull back hard, she just goes completely soft on me - as if the gyro is trying to correct something. It won't even loop! Full throttle, a good descending start, yank back, and she goes nose up, but then wobbles, and sits dead in the air sliding horizontally while pointed vertically and finally falling. Again, I'm pushing it to make this happen, but when I get into trouble and try to pull out, I can see this starting to happen. I'll check that both elevators are working - I think that might explain it. The Gyro make be picking up that one isn't working and the resulting motion is not intended.

Thanks for the tip -
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:58 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,476 Posts
Quote:
........SOMETHING is definitely funky, because if I pull back hard, she just goes completely soft on me - as if the gyro is trying to correct something. It won't even loop! Full throttle, a good descending start, yank back, and she goes nose up, but then wobbles, and sits dead in the air sliding horizontally while pointed vertically and finally falling. Again, I'm pushing it to make this happen, but when I get into trouble and try to pull out, I can see this starting to happen......
Basically the same thing happened to me, twice, soon after I got my MiG.

At the time, I was spooked by all the reports of servo issues -- so that's what I blamed it on.

But it hasn't happened again......after I did some serious tailfeather reinforcement. Both the horizontal stabilizer and the elevators.*

My hunch now is that, without reinforcement, those surfaces flex too much under stress, and any little crease can become a fault line where there might not be enough strength in the surface to pull you out of a high-G loop or turn.

Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:11 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Thanks PugSam! I havent strengthened those flappy thingys on the flat thingy at the back of the plane, so I'll try that next.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:20 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,476 Posts
Quote:
Thanks PugSam! I havent strengthened those flappy thingys on the flat thingy at the back of the plane, so I'll try that next.
Awesome!

That'll make the thingamabobs much gnarlier!

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam