HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:45 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
So, what's wrong with a list posted on the fridge?!?
I have a list up there almost all the time.....
- Get beer at grocery store
- Get steaks at Walmart
- Get ice for beer cooler, at BP station
- Get batteries charged for Mini Mig
- Get more beer at Schlagenhooper's, on the way to the field
- Order more TP 325's from RCBabble Bat
- Pack up one Elfi, a UM P-51, the UM T-28, the Champ, Mini Mig, Pole Cat for Saturday flying
- Pack up the Wendy, the Speedy 400, UM P-51 #2, Playmate #2, Mini Mig, for Sunday flying
- Get more beer at Schlagenhooper's on return from the field
- Save water from beer cooler for marijuana plants.....
Being organized has it merits.
Oh, and never any lip from anyone concerning when, where, and how many times I fly. Never a failure to communicate there.
RD
deleted
pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Last edited by pugsam; Aug 28, 2012 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Moderation
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:36 AM
jason uk
wolverhampton(UK)
Joined Jun 2004
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
So, do you scarf-up the beer, beef and bud at the field..........or wait until you're back home?

Dave

Nice pic,how's it fly ;-)
jaylad is offline Find More Posts by jaylad
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:00 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylad View Post
Nice pic,how's it fly ;-)
The afterburner is wicked.

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:42 PM
Pan Pan, Pan Pan, Mayday
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,489 Posts
Looks like it gets high
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nearly done!!
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:45 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,637 Posts
You should see the little EDF unit in that thing.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:23 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,534 Posts
Size Counts!

As any red blooded Mini MiG flyer knows, (OK, terrible pun), size/weight counts when working with Micro's. The OEM battery is, to put it mildly, rather insufficient, IMHO. The Mini Aviation 300mAh 2S 30C's are a very nice improvement, fitting the Mini MiG just fine, and only 2 grams heavier than the E-flite 200mAh 2S 25C Lipo. Next step UP, without question, is the Thunder Power 325mAh 2S 65C packs, IMHO. I sourced my TP's from RCBabble Bat, I got the Mini Aviations direct from their website which, I believe, is the only way you can get your hands on them. So, FWIW, here is the Lipo line-up I presently use:

- E-flite 200mAh 2S 25C, 14 grams, OEM lipo

- Mini Aviation 300mAh 2S 30C, 16 grams

- Thunder Power 325mAh 2S 65C, 21 grams

The Mini MiG has no problem hauling the additional weight, a couple of clicks of up trim help. The alternate Lipo's could also be positioned further back, if you don't mind carving out some foam to accommodate this placement.

I load the MiG with the Lipo pack as far back as it can go in the battery "slot". The MA's seat well in the battery compartment, the TP's extend out somewhat. No real problem, I use a piece of painter's tape as a security strap, to keep the Lipo pack from possibly releasing under G-load. Also helps with belly landings, to keep the Lipo pack from possibly getting ripped loose.

Strengthening the horizontal stab is next in order, to obtain better elevator authority. Hope this info is of interest.....

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:09 PM
... UMX Horizon Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
846 Posts
Hi all,

just returned from my evening flights but have had a mystic thing.
My Mig flow always little nose down with horizontal elevator- this evening the temperature was down outside and my Mig flow perfect horizontal...
I don't know what happened but another user from our German board have had the same experience.
Does the foam shrunk ?
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
Hi all,

My Mig flow always little nose down with horizontal elevator- this evening the temperature was down outside and my Mig flow perfect horizontal...
I don't know what happened but another user from our German board have had the same experience.
Does the foam shrunk ?
Count, what do you mean it flew nose down with the horizontal elevator?

Also, I need a little help. My Mig is Migbehaving. I'm getting a very dangerous roll when using sudden up elevator commands. Instead of shooting straight up like she used to, she'll drop the port (left, nose away from me) wing. I generally don't use full or sudden up elevator commands, but crashed the other day because my attempt to pull up was foiled by this roll. I'm thinking my horizontal stablizer is at fault, but I've already stiffened it as shown on this thread. Thoughts??? Perhaps Count's positive mystic thing translated to a negative mystic thing for me!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:40 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
Hi all,

Does the foam shrunk ?
Could be from the colder air temperature, which will increase the air density.
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:44 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,605 Posts
Maidenened my third Mig today. My first one had a faulty rudder servo - sent back to HH. The replacement they sent me had a faulty elevator servo. This time I didn't want to wait the three week turnaround so I asked my LHS to swap it and they did...

Third time's a charm? This one seems OK so far.. We'll see if that lasts! I may just get rid of it. I hate flying with the thought in my head that a servo will lock up at any second. Seems to happen way too often with those little linear servos.
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:48 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,637 Posts
TurboRacer - Go get a can of De-Oxit. I had a sticky servo on a couple of my micros and I know what you mean - once you've seen it stick, it's hard to put it in the air again. the De-Oxit has done WONDERS for every servo I've put it on. I think it goes beyond cleaning the contact strip, it seems to also help clear out some of the grit that gets in the worm drive. For me, though, the best part of it is the peace of mind. I see a sticky servo, give it a squirt, and forget about it. Haven't had a single one stick again. Warning - the stuff is expensive - $20 for a couple of tiny little cans, but still priceless.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:40 PM
jason uk
wolverhampton(UK)
Joined Jun 2004
301 Posts
Which one of the deoxit products do I need ?
There seem to be a few different ones ?
jaylad is offline Find More Posts by jaylad
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:41 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Quote:
Deoxit D5 aerosal can... it's the "flushing" version... it works the best...
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:42 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,637 Posts
The pack I got had two small aerosol bottles in it - one is "Deoxit DN5" and the other one is "Deoxit Gold GN5" The latter indicates that it is ideal for gold surfaces - not sure you need that one unless your micro's cost a lot more than mine.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:47 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,010 Posts
Quote:
What you need is DeoxIT FaderLube F5. FaderLube F5 is designed specifically for the type of mechanism seen in these linear servos.

From their product description:

"Precision lubricant for conductive plastics and carbon-based controls (faders, slide potentiometers, conductive membranes - mouse pads and other mechanisms with sliding surfaces). It replenishes lubrication lost on surfaces that have been cleaned with solvents or other cleaning solutions. Use on conductive plastics and other sliding metal-plastic surfaces. Temperature range: -26 to +150oC."
grovey is online now Find More Posts by grovey