Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Good grief.

Here's another great idea.*

Dave, you have the best images! Do you have a huge collection with one for every situation?

-Brian
kalmon is online now Find More Posts by kalmon
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:41 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,601 Posts
Yes.

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:42 AM
Micro enthusiast
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
801 Posts
Quote:
This seems like an excellent mod, too.

Unless you're the Chuck Yeager of RC aviation, the MiG elevator definitely needs SOMETHING!

Did you consider doing the same thing to the horizontal stabilizer? The tricky thing is........that it's desirable to have both sides (left and right) reinforced together. Otherwise, it will crease/bend/break at the middle. This is where Thomas Alva "Eastcoast78" Edison's single-spar CF approach pays-off.

Dave

Dave,

I fully agree with what you said, the elevator is best reinforced somehow and it has to be in one piece to stop bending either side.

I figured to utilise the plastic container, because someone else mentioned it earlier in the thread I think. My elevator mod attaches both elevators via a single cut piece of plastic.

Regards,
Nath
Groovechampion is online now Find More Posts by Groovechampion
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:00 AM
Joined Aug 2010
3,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovechampion View Post
......My elevator mod attaches both elevators via a single cut piece of plastic.......
LMAO!

Let's see a photo of that............

Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:06 AM
Micro enthusiast
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by impmotor View Post
I highly recommend this modification. I did this with my new fuse and tail assembly. I siliconed it into place and it is stronger and lighter that the flat lengths of carbon fiber that I epoxied to my old stabilizers. Thank you for a great and simple idea.
No problem! I think some else had the bright idea somewhere else in the forum, just stuck in my head so I went with it.

I wasnt totally happy with the look of the CF, besides it needs to be joined in the middle and have a greater surface area covered.....

Nath
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:10 AM
Micro enthusiast
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
801 Posts
Quote:
LMAO!

Of course, I did a total rebuild of the fuse so I was more easily able to do so, what with new tail section parts.

I guess you could get away with the mod if you were willing to skill fully slide the plastic between the existing elevator on a BNF model.

Ill post a photo tonight.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:11 AM
Joined Jun 2007
239 Posts
Yup, just use clear plastic from packages and stuff:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=85
vadimpelau is offline Find More Posts by vadimpelau
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:21 AM
Micro enthusiast
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
801 Posts
Thanks vadimpelau,
I knew someone had mentioned it before! Forgot it was you.
Its a better mod than CF I think.

BTW do you still need the static thrust data?
Last edited by Groovechampion; Aug 21, 2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:26 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimpelau View Post
Yup, just use clear plastic from packages and stuff:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=85
Looks good nice and clean! very skill full to slice the vert stab to be able to slide that plastic though.

I'm not sure why they designed the hor stab with 2 halves. Its like its meant to break!
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:38 AM
Joined Aug 2010
3,601 Posts
[deleted]
Last edited by pugsam; Aug 21, 2012 at 01:44 AM. Reason: dupe
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:40 AM
Joined Aug 2010
3,601 Posts
Quote:
......My elevator mod attaches both elevators via a single cut piece of plastic.......
Quote:
LMAO!

Still LMAO

Don't see both elevators being connected "via a single cut piece of plastic"......

Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:45 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,474 Posts
yea me either! I was hoping it was!! Cause the only way to truly stiffen the Stab is a continuing spar either it be carbon fibre, plastic etc...the plastic well help with avoiding bends and creases!

But it well also weaken the actual joint!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2012, 02:11 AM
Micro enthusiast
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
801 Posts
Yea, for me it was easy because I was building a whole new MIG with new parts.
You have to glue and or clear tape the plastic elevator to one of the halves of the elevator, then slide it through a slightly widened hole (I used a emory board -the type for fingernails to sand away enough clearance).

Once its in place with CA, slot on the other foam elevator and glue and or clear tape it to the plastic.

Im not sure how youd go with an already assembled tail section though..... It was a tight squeeze building a new one.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 02:23 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,474 Posts
Quote:
Yea, for me it was easy because I was building a whole new MIG with new parts.
You have to glue and or clear tape the plastic elevator to one of the halves of the elevator, then slide it through a slightly widened hole (I used a emory board -the type for fingernails to sand away enough clearance).

Once its in place with CA, slot on the other foam elevator and glue and or clear tape it to the plastic.

Im not sure how youd go with an already assembled tail section though..... It was a tight squeeze building a new one.
I was kinda thinking that vadimpelau was using a full single piece of plastic! But how it was worded seem to confuse some!

I was thinking! man how did he slice it to fit it though. I though it was hard enough to make a clean hole for the CF to go though the rudd hinge. I used a Piece of 4/40 music wire i had snipped. It left a jagged edge and just bored a hole till it almost came out the other side, i didn't want it to blow out, so i then started from the other side and finished the hole...
Getting CA on the wire that connects the top/bottom half was a PIA

I haven't taken the Hoz stab off. Seems pretty tedious! Did you work a #11 blade thought he foam first to get it started? then file it open enough?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2012, 02:37 AM
Micro enthusiast
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
801 Posts
I think vadimpelau did use a single piece aswell, because he re-built the tail section from new parts, thats where I got the idea from.

I thought, seeming I have a squashed in nose, a bent tail section and deteriorating fuse Ill just replace them all..... Cost half the price of the BNF MIG!!! So pretty pricey.

Transplanted all the electrics over and did some mods like clear packing tape on the underside and to reinforce the battery compartment. Also clear taped the side of the wings.

The paper clip gear mod is awesome, acts like a natural shock absorber.

I didnt need to use a #11 blade or any blade at all, just widened the hole in the tail with a sanding board. Didnt take much filing either.

The modded elevator actually sat snug without any need for CA, I discovered after testing the fit. Did of course CA it in the tail hole though.