HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:17 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snjbird View Post
I broke mine two days ago, fast pass over tallllll grass about 60 yards out, the seed stalks grabbed it and pulled it in!!!
I broke the horizontal and the elevator, I got new ones, but I have never worked on this stuff before...
If, like me, you do a lot a flying over rough terrain, you might want to consider serious tail feather reinforcements.

Makes your MiG much more durable!

Dave

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:00 PM
Salinas, CA
Joined Dec 2007
481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Does anybody else think Horizon may have missed the boat on pricing on these? I picked mine up crunched and used and cheap, patched it up and everybody at our local field is absolutely amazed at it especially when the breeze gets up. 12-15 mph and gusty is like non existent. But when they find out that it's $170 + tax + some extra batteries, they instantly balk. And have to admit I had decided I would not pay that either, but might come nearer considering it now that I have one. Every one that has seen it and shown interest says at 125-135 or so, they would pick one up today, no questions asked. So just in my little local situaition that would mean probably 8 sales compared to 1. Just something about getting around the $200 range for a um that stops folks in their tracks. One friend that flies turbines just loves it and loves to fly mine, and with the turbines, cost is not a compelling thing, but he went to lhs, had one in his hthoughand and still put it back. Just couldn't bring himself to go for it. Maybe I should just quit letting him fly mine.
Although the price is high its worth the extra 30 or 40 dollars. They have alot of technology in this little thing. I love my mig and my beast. The umx can handle wind. While all my non small umx friends are packing it up i'm flying!! Now other companies will be copying this technology and we will see a bunch of cheap knock offs.
I buy those "other" chinese planes and i like flying them. But eflite products have great quality ( my opinion ).
jl449 is offline Find More Posts by jl449
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:22 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
I too choked a little bit when forking over $170 for the Mini MiG. However, having now flown it several times, as part of my battery comparison study, I can honestly say the plane is worth every cent that has been paid. I find it's easier to fly than the T-28 and P-51 micros, both of which I thoroughly enjoy. I do find I have to stay "ahead" of the Mini MiG as it can cover a lot of ground quickly, especially when you are headed downwards!

Only complaint I can make is with the fragile nature of the horizontal stab's. I very likely will do some re-inforcement such as offered by Pugsam. Running the heavier TP 325's makes inverted flying a bit more of a challange, requiring almost full down elevator to hold level inverted flight, when compared to the MA 300's. I think the horizontal stabs might be deflecting under load. All in all, a great little micro, and one can only hope that E-flite or ParkZone will come up with another mini EDF....with AS3X naturally. Hmmm.....a mini F-16??? A micro Habu??? Hmmmmm........

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:25 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,199 Posts
Copying the technology? I would word it more like "following suit and introducing gyro's to their smaller models.

Lots of mems gyro systems have been around for many years. HH gets credit for sticking them in micro planes and jets as opposed to limiting them to their heli's. You can thank the guys that were hacking the micro heli boards and putting them in their small plane models for their inspiration.

Definitely keep your eyes peeled for a Micro Habu.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:34 PM
RC Flying Rules!
Winchester, VA.
Joined Feb 2004
212 Posts
First two flights today!

Awesome plane, e-flite has a winner!

Vrf201 (Roy)
VRF201 is offline Find More Posts by VRF201
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:42 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
That would be awesome.
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:30 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Oct 2004
757 Posts
Picked up a couple of "Lectron Pro" batteries from www.CommonSenseRC.com at a hobby shop near LAX yesterday. These look really good. 300 mAh 2s 35C and they are long and thin, they fit the Mig flush with the belly. Looking forward to trying them out tomorrow. I also have a pair of Babblebatts which are good with the gear on.
Husafreak is offline Find More Posts by Husafreak
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:33 PM
Joined Oct 2004
757 Posts
I also bought a replacement foam spinner for my Beast X damaged in a midair, but when I got it home I realized it is a bit smashed. What is the technique for restoring these foam planes and parts that involves hot/boiling water?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Oct 2004
757 Posts
Reinforcing the stab on my Mig with a short 1mm cf rod (and a short piece of music wire should work just as well) made a big difference for me in elevator authority, particularly noticeable in inverted flight. Since the Mig has a lifting airfoil it will need a lot of down elevator for inverted flight anyway but the soft feel of the stock tail just makes the problem a lot worse. See post 1288.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:02 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husafreak View Post
Reinforcing the stab on my Mig with a short 1mm cf rod (and a short piece of music wire should work just as well) made a big difference for me in elevator authority, particularly noticeable in inverted flight. Since the Mig has a lifting airfoil it will need a lot of down elevator for inverted flight anyway but the soft feel of the stock tail just makes the problem a lot worse. See post 1288.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
I, also, did the shish kabob mod, skewering fine CF rod through the middle of the horizontal stabs. (That's in addition to the single-piece CF going through the vertical stab and spanning both sides of the horizontal stab -- which I think is important.)

As someone here (Husafreak?) suggested, this additional CF-rod shish kabob has the benefit of extending CF reinforcement all the way out to the stab's tips. And I inserted short pieces of CF rod into the elevator tips, for the same reason.

IMO, that's a worthwhile benefit for very little added weight.

All that CF in the tail feathers is roughly offset by nose and belly reinforcements. So, little or no effect on CG.

She flys great -- which says a lot, considering the dumb thumbs at the controls.

Freak!!! Every time I fly the UM MiG, I think of you and thank you for the shish kabob reinforcement idea!

Dave

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:29 PM
Joined Oct 2004
757 Posts
thanks for the pics
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:34 PM
Micro enthusiast
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
778 Posts
In my previous post I forgot to mention my mod to the elevator.

Seeming how the new fuse I bought came in a pretty sturdy (1mm??) thick plastic packaging, I traced my new un-assembled elevator into a part of the packaging and then cut out the shape with a hobby knife.

The result is I have a single piece of clear plastic that sits on the underside of each of the elevator halves that is joined in the middle. Its glued in and clear packaging taped into place.

I left the actual moving part of the elevator free from the plastic treatment though.

If you go this route, youll have to use an emory board or similar to shave off some of the hole wear the new elevators sit.

The result is a reinforced elevator, flys just like it did without the mod.

Regards,
Nath.
Groovechampion is offline Find More Posts by Groovechampion
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:26 AM
Australia, QLD, Rockhampton
Joined Jul 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovechampion View Post
In my previous post I forgot to mention my mod to the elevator.

Seeming how the new fuse I bought came in a pretty sturdy (1mm??) thick plastic packaging, I traced my new un-assembled elevator into a part of the packaging and then cut out the shape with a hobby knife.

The result is I have a single piece of clear plastic that sits on the underside of each of the elevator halves that is joined in the middle. Its glued in and clear packaging taped into place.

I left the actual moving part of the elevator free from the plastic treatment though.

If you go this route, youll have to use an emory board or similar to shave off some of the hole wear the new elevators sit.

The result is a reinforced elevator, flys just like it did without the mod.

Regards,
Nath.
Great way to reinforce the tail. I thought about it when the horizontal stab on mine weakened and flexed after the first few flights. But did not want to rip the tail section just to reinforce it. Yours is a good way if you are replacing the horizontal stab with a new one.
Cheers
risingstar is offline Find More Posts by risingstar
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:44 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Freak!!! Every time I fly the UM MiG, I think of you and thank you for the shish kabob reinforcement idea!

Dave

Lol don't forget where ya got the idea there puggy
Picture 65 WAY back...
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Aug 20, 2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:58 AM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Ok! I'll buy every type of UMX EDF they put out but my personal favorite would be a micro Panther. There's just something about that plane that's really appealing to me.
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight