HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:43 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post

(What happened to the MiG box, in the third photo? Crikey!)

Probably the US Postal Service.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:12 PM
JG 5
Germany
Joined Nov 2010
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredeshadoan View Post
Turned out pretty decent, got some wringles here and there. But not bad for never working with foil. Now the wait for hobbyking. Pretty sure they ship via row boat.
Beautiful! What a beauty!

Row boat... lol
Bf 109 is offline Find More Posts by Bf 109
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Captured Delta Ray
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:16 PM
JG 5
Germany
Joined Nov 2010
96 Posts
Quote:
Poor migs been in the weeds since Sunday evening. Was flying on 3s. Esc cutout. I wasnt 3 seconds high, so couldnt reset the esc.
In southern Germany we have regions like this, good to hear you found the MiG even after thunderstorms!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:17 PM
JG 5
Germany
Joined Nov 2010
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Awe you shouldn't call yur plane a fagot! Remember who "stuck" who in the weeds

Bummer on the crash! What are you planning to do with he 10A speedy?

Seems im always waiting on a HK order lol

Flew the mig today after the second bath! Still going strong!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efoNX6oNWQ8
Nice to see her flying!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:03 PM
Joined Aug 2011
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff View Post
Probably the US Postal Service.
I never use the box jist the foam cradles they come in, just a lottle rain damage lol.
jaredeshadoan is offline Find More Posts by jaredeshadoan
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:50 AM
Micro enthusiast
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Thanks for the video Eastcoast.

Finished the transplant of the MIG into a new fuse today, flew perfectly first time hardly any trim needed!

I used clear packaging tape to strengthen the battery area and all over the underside of the fuse.... So if I need to land on grass with no landing gear I should be ok.

But what really pleased me was the paperclip front landing gear.
Not only does it take the punishment of harder landings easier it has a kind of springiness so it kind of make the front of the plane "bob" up and down as it lands or takes off. Sort of like a shock asborber. So well done Eastcoast and thank you.

Regards,
Nath
Groovechampion is online now Find More Posts by Groovechampion
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:28 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,031 Posts
Horizon on price point?

Does anybody else think Horizon may have missed the boat on pricing on these? I picked mine up crunched and used and cheap, patched it up and everybody at our local field is absolutely amazed at it especially when the breeze gets up. 12-15 mph and gusty is like non existent. But when they find out that it's $170 + tax + some extra batteries, they instantly balk. And have to admit I had decided I would not pay that either, but might come nearer considering it now that I have one. Every one that has seen it and shown interest says at 125-135 or so, they would pick one up today, no questions asked. So just in my little local situation that would mean probably 8 sales compared to 1. Just something about getting around the $200 range for a um that stops folks in their tracks. One friend that flies turbines just loves it and loves to fly mine, and with the turbines, cost is not a compelling thing, but he went to lhs, had one in his hand and still put it back. Just couldn't bring himself to go for it. Maybe I should just quit letting him fly mine.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:35 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,517 Posts
Worth every penny IMHO.

But I paid less at the LHS. I get it at a $130 price point it would be awesome - no question but is has a good deal more technology than your average micro.

I just get such a kick out of this little dude.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:06 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
After the first flight I have had no regrets about paying full price for this bird. For a second one I will wait/shop for a savings.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:16 AM
Joined Jun 2007
239 Posts
Well if you try to make your own "as close to micro as posible" MIG-15 with a stabilization system you'll spend more than 200$, you'll have a larger weight and a bigger plane that won't be nearly as sturdy, as well built as this one or fly in 30km/h wind speeds.

I got it for ~160$ from an UK vendor and considering it won't get damaged as easily as other UMs with a front engine and prop, the price is worth it.
What pisses me off are the spare parts that cost an arm and a leg.
vadimpelau is offline Find More Posts by vadimpelau
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:28 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,142 Posts
Bobly,

I think it's a state-of-mind problem. I call it 'commodity-thinking', and it seems to be all too prevalent nowadays. (The 'bigger is better' advertizing that has been incessantly shoved down our throats for the last 30+ years has brainwashed many people, I think.) We're not talking about a bottle of milk, a sack of flour, or a bag of potatoes. Size has never been a linear measure of worth with electromechanical things. With electronic & mechanical things, prices tend to bottom-out in the mid-scales, and typically increase dramatically as size moves toward the micro & macro ends of the scale. For instance, a high-performance laptop usually costs far more than a desktop PC with similar capabilities. The situation is no different with ultra-micro aircraft & associated systems.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:51 PM
3D... the only way to fly!
Kissimmee
Joined Apr 2010
336 Posts
Quote:
Turned out pretty decent, got some wringles here and there. But not bad for never working with foil. Now the wait for hobbyking. Pretty sure they ship via row boat.

That looks way mega triple spectacular!!!!
snjbird is offline Find More Posts by snjbird
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:52 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snjbird View Post
That looks way mega triple spectacular!!!!
what he said.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:53 PM
3D... the only way to fly!
Kissimmee
Joined Apr 2010
336 Posts
I broke mine two days ago, fast pass over tallllll grass about 60 yards out, the seed stalks grabbed it and pulled it in!!!

I broke the horizontal and the elevator, I got new ones, but I have never worked on this stuff before...
snjbird is offline Find More Posts by snjbird
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:56 PM
we can take off without that
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Bobly,

I think it's a state-of-mind problem. I call it 'commodity-thinking', and it seems to be all too prevalent nowadays. (The 'bigger is better' advertizing that has been incessantly shoved down our throats for the last 30+ years has brainwashed many people, I think.) We're not talking about a bottle of milk, a sack of flour, or a bag of potatoes. Size has never been a linear measure of worth with electromechanical things. With electronic & mechanical things, prices tend to bottom-out in the mid-scales, and typically increase dramatically as size moves toward the micro & macro ends of the scale. For instance, a high-performance laptop usually costs far more than a desktop PC with similar capabilities. The situation is no different with ultra-micro aircraft & associated systems.

Joel
Completely agree. I used to collect mode trains, just look at the cost of N-gauge (1:160 scale) compared to HO gauge (1:87). Those N-gauge locos are more expensive than the HO locos.
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer