HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by freechip, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 03:59 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,545 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum DX8 & DX7s Help & Support

Well considering how long the original thread has been active and the high number of post in it with some less useful than others and with popular demand I decided to start another one.

Be Advice that posts that do not offer any useful information will be deleted, members who posted the deleted thread will receive a private message warning them of the deletion of their post and the reason for the deletion.

Hopefully this will become as popular as the original thread and will make it easier for new owners to look for information regarding these two radios.

Just a friendly reminder that in order to subscribe to this thread it is not necessary to post Subscribed, you can simply use the thread tools and click to subscribe and this also allows you chose the type of notification you would like for this thread.........

With over 200 posts from various helpful contributing members this thread is moving along great. Thank You to those providing useful information, keep up the good work..........
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Last edited by freechip; Dec 06, 2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Updated
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2012, 04:06 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
I'm in! I'll start by saying that coming from the DX6i, Trim Step is one of my favorite features of my DX8. I'm still using the stock NIMH battery with no issues yet, but will upgrade to the lipo if I need to at some point.
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Jun 29, 2012, 04:14 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,545 Posts
Welcome. In regards to trim step 10 being the highest step with least amount of click and 1 the lowest step with most clicks you can also select 0 turning off the trim for that control.

In the Trim menu you can also select Common and Flight Mode.
When trim is set to Flight Mode you can set trims for each flight mode independently.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 04:15 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,775 Posts
Mugen, the lipo is, for me, just a matter of convenience: that said, it is one heck of a convenience! The more I use my DX 8, the happier I am, but still, the DX 18 beckons....
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Jun 29, 2012, 04:30 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,396 Posts
Thanks Chip
I was planning the same thing.

So 1 more month to the 2year anniversary of my DX8.I bought some spikey stick ends for it last year.I cant figure out what Im going to do this year.Theres nothing it really wants or needs.What to do?
aerocal is online now Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
Mugen, the lipo is, for me, just a matter of convenience: that said, it is one heck of a convenience! The more I use my DX 8, the happier I am, but still, the DX 18 beckons....
As of right now i don't get to fly that many hours during the week so the NIMH lasts long enough for me. Once i start logging in more hours i'll lean more towards getting the lipo.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:33 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,885 Posts
Thumbs up on the LiPo conversion - regardless of how often you fly, it is a great upgrade. You charge half as often when you do charge and also enjoy auto-shutoff when charging.

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:35 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen4Lfe View Post
I'm still using the stock NIMH battery with no issues yet, but will upgrade to the lipo if I need to at some point.
As long as you can manage the charging of the NiMH so you don't cook it, there isn't a whole lot of 'need' for the lipo, but I upgraded to one purely because the charging circuit works better with a lipo and cuts off automatically so I don't have to think about it too much

Odd posting in a thread with a load of 'This message is hidden because ...' messages in it
Telrin is offline Find More Posts by Telrin
Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:36 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,545 Posts
Considering the amount of time I fly (average) and the amount of time the radio is on either programming for my own planes or programming to provide help for other (extreme) the stock OEM NiMh batt just wasn't cutting it for me.

Buying the Lipo just made sense for me and my current use of the radio.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 06:28 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
A couple of months ago I read this great review of the DX7s... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1579976

The review mentioned that the DX7s had a feature called LST or Limited Standard Trim. I looked everywhere for information on this in the DX7s manual and couldn't find any mention of it at all. I tried asking on that thread but no one answered. In fact, the only place I found anything about it was in the JR11x. Can anybody comment on what LST is and if the DX7s has it or not?
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:46 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,545 Posts
Would love to take credit but I can't. But I did get the info you are looking for.
Quote:
It's in all the new radios for heli mode.

What it does is keep the end-points of the travel unchanged.  Trim amount is decreased proportionally from maximum at the center to 0 at the extreme of travel.

It's necessary so that the swash plate mechanics don't jam.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:18 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
So if I understand correctly, LST is "built in" to the radio for heli mode and is NOT a feature that can be turned on or off?
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:51 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,923 Posts
Correct. To turn it off could jam your swashplate.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:28 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
386 Posts
Subscribed. And a late thanks to Freechip for the Radian camber PM. Sorry for not acknowledging sooner, but been working on another project. I should say "another over my head project".
onewire is offline Find More Posts by onewire
Old Jun 30, 2012, 07:16 AM
United States, WI, Burlington
Joined Jan 2005
65 Posts
TM100 Antenna

I had a crash and the antenna on the TM1000 pulled off. Can anyone tell me how to pop open the TM1000 to either replace the antenna wire or solder it back together? It ripped off very close to the "stem".

Also, would this be an acceptable replacement? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16666

Would it have to be soldered in?

Thanks to all the pro's on this board.

Also: This may be a dumb question, but if I presently do not care to use any info for temp, speed, etc. that the TM1000 I guess is used for, do I need that antenna for anything else other than me just "flying around"?

Thanks to anyone from a novice (but learning).
DeltaPopper is offline Find More Posts by DeltaPopper
Last edited by DeltaPopper; Jun 30, 2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Added thought