HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2012, 02:10 PM
Progress with the process...
NE Alabama
Joined Feb 2011
135 Posts
Could someone forgive my ignorance and give me the skinny on the carbon vs wood trussing thing. Ive noticed a lot of the newer EPP kits going to wood, and was wondering what the advantages/trade offs were. TIA.
M3ATpl0w is offline Find More Posts by M3ATpl0w
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 04:40 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,381 Posts
Finally got the build done. And I am quite pleased. I took it up (probably shouldn't have, it was pretty windy) and WOW!!! This plane is nice! I couldn't get it dialed in because of the wind, but I think this is going to be a beauty. I think I'm getting about 80% throws on the ailerons. Does that seem high? I can't remember the elevator and rudder. But rudder throw is sick! I need to re-measure.

Anyway, took it up and toyed around a bit. Hover?? Yep! No problem. Got a bit squirrely so I decided to bring her in. Looking out the window at the trees now as I type. Seems to have calmed down a bit but it's freakin' 90+ Illinois humid out there. Waiting for sundown.

This build was so simple. What I liked is that the rudder and elevator servos are on the side of the fuse so if they go bad, just cut out and replace. My other plane have them buried.
Still undecided whether to cut and mount or go with velcro on the battery. I like that idea maxxnut. I'm considering.

Khen, if I could give a suggestion or two. I know you've been doing this awhile longer than me, so please don't take this wrong, but as a noob... I thought you may want to either add to the existing build pdf or create a second build pdf for the wood version. Had I not built my Twisted plane I wouldn't have known what to do with the foam tail stiffeners. It's not in the pdf or the build in this thread.

And the ONLY problem I had during this build was with the aileron control. I've never worked with adjustable "V" rods so it was a bit of a chore to get them adjusted properly. I found the set up on my other plane easier to adjust. I assume it's due to the difference in the servos used. But just my thoughts.
Other than that, I am beyond pleased so far and can't wait for calm weather.

Here are pics of the final build and the servo set up of my other plane. (sorry for the book)
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Jul 14, 2012, 05:47 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Wow that was fast, I placed an order for a Slicko about 3PM Thursday and it's sitting behind me right now as I speak (Utah to New York). Since Kevin offered the sale on the carbon kits to those who were interested back in June when they were out of stock I contacted him at the last minute for one. Then I found out he was holding off on the carbon kits for a little while and testing a new hybrid version. He was nice enough to offer me the carbon upgrade (wing struts, wing fences and leading edge carbon strips) for free with my wood/epp kit.

It may be a few weeks before I get it flying due to a couple parts I bought for it elsewhere being backordered. At least it'll give me a chance to plan out the paint job I'm going to do with it and take my time getting most of the building done.

Thanks again Kevin for all the help and thank Andria for the tootsie rolls.
Thank you! Keep us posted with the build.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Jul 14, 2012, 06:00 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ATpl0w View Post
Could someone forgive my ignorance and give me the skinny on the carbon vs wood trussing thing. Ive noticed a lot of the newer EPP kits going to wood, and was wondering what the advantages/trade offs were. TIA.
The difference between the current 'wood' kit and 'carbon' kit is the wood kit uses EPP for the truss and uses wood strips for the spar and stiffeners where the carbon kit uses carbon fiber rods for the truss and thin carbon strips for the spar and stiffeners. The carbon kit also has the carbon rod wing struts and fences to really stiffen the wing. The wood kits wing spar is thicker so it doesn't twist as much as the thinner carbon spar but weighs a little more. I'm working on combining the kits to create one kit that after a lot of testing I feel is the best of both worlds. I will have pictures soon of the final product.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 14, 2012, 06:18 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3flyguy3 View Post
Finally got the build done. And I am quite pleased. I took it up (probably shouldn't have, it was pretty windy) and WOW!!! This plane is nice! I couldn't get it dialed in because of the wind, but I think this is going to be a beauty. I think I'm getting about 80% throws on the ailerons. Does that seem high? I can't remember the elevator and rudder. But rudder throw is sick! I need to re-measure.

Anyway, took it up and toyed around a bit. Hover?? Yep! No problem. Got a bit squirrely so I decided to bring her in. Looking out the window at the trees now as I type. Seems to have calmed down a bit but it's freakin' 90+ Illinois humid out there. Waiting for sundown.

This build was so simple. What I liked is that the rudder and elevator servos are on the side of the fuse so if they go bad, just cut out and replace. My other plane have them buried.
Still undecided whether to cut and mount or go with velcro on the battery. I like that idea maxxnut. I'm considering.

Khen, if I could give a suggestion or two. I know you've been doing this awhile longer than me, so please don't take this wrong, but as a noob... I thought you may want to either add to the existing build pdf or create a second build pdf for the wood version. Had I not built my Twisted plane I wouldn't have known what to do with the foam tail stiffeners. It's not in the pdf or the build in this thread.

And the ONLY problem I had during this build was with the aileron control. I've never worked with adjustable "V" rods so it was a bit of a chore to get them adjusted properly. I found the set up on my other plane easier to adjust. I assume it's due to the difference in the servos used. But just my thoughts.
Other than that, I am beyond pleased so far and can't wait for calm weather.

Here are pics of the final build and the servo set up of my other plane. (sorry for the book)
Looks great! I really like my rudder authority.. I tweaked the design several times in that area. The Slicko has a lot more flying area than most the 32" planes out there for sure. More length too, which I tend to prefer.

I'm always up for suggestions. I do sell the pushrod adj. linkage on the site but have always gone back and forth on if I prefer them over v-bends. The linkage adds a little weight and adds a point of potential mechanical failure. But I'm starting to think maybe it would be a good idea to include them. I will also be working on a new PDF for the new kit changes. I'll post some pictures in the interim when I get my computer fixed, lost my motherboard so I had to order one. I'm working on my tablet now.

Glad you like the Slicko so far.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:25 PM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,142 Posts
Khen and others, My son and I just hooked up the aileron linkages on his yellow slicko, and I am leaning toward having a Z-bend at the aileron control horn, and a post/keeper/screw retainer at the servo horn connection. The aileron horns are at their minimum for enlarging the holes, whereas the servo horn has the meat to drill a hole to match the connector. I wish there were connectors made with a post the same size as most of the holes in the servo horns, then we would not have to drill, but one size would not fit all. I would also try clamping down on the 1.5mm carbon rod as it passes into the connector.
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:15 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khen View Post
Looks great! I really like my rudder authority.. I tweaked the design several times in that area. The Slicko has a lot more flying area than most the 32" planes out there for sure. More length too, which I tend to prefer.

I'm always up for suggestions. I do sell the pushrod adj. linkage on the site but have always gone back and forth on if I prefer them over v-bends. The linkage adds a little weight and adds a point of potential mechanical failure. But I'm starting to think maybe it would be a good idea to include them. I will also be working on a new PDF for the new kit changes. I'll post some pictures in the interim when I get my computer fixed, lost my motherboard so I had to order one. I'm working on my tablet now.

Glad you like the Slicko so far.
Thanks for the compliment. And thanks for a great plane. Wind died down a bit so I got thru all 5 packs. Now to decide what to do with the battery.
I figured the linkage would add weight. Noticeable? I also had the concern of failure but I haven't had problems yet. I just checked them out on your site, so I may check these out. I usually just remember to check them before flight. Nonetheless, great plane.
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Last edited by 3flyguy3; Jul 14, 2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:30 PM
KK4QIN
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,118 Posts
Thought i would let y'all enjoy my folly

RCPB Slicko Tree Parking (1 min 5 sec)
nightfox7 is offline Find More Posts by nightfox7
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:31 PM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,142 Posts
Putting into perspective this thing about linkage failure...it will lead to a crash..IF we keep our wits about us and pull the throttle off....how bad would it be ?? A little Welder's, maybe, ??
Old Jul 15, 2012, 02:20 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,230 Posts
Great vid nightfox, looks like you're getting the harrier down. I love the chuckle after you out it in. That's what these foamies are all about right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxnut View Post
Putting into perspective this thing about linkage failure...it will lead to a crash..IF we keep our wits about us and pull the throttle off....how bad would it be ?? A little Welder's, maybe, ??
You guys are right, I'm going to add adjustable linkage that will fit the 1.5mm cf rod to the kits for at least the ailerons.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:52 AM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,142 Posts
I just looked at my stash of connectors and here are the results.
Dubro # 121 EZ connectors are brass and way too heavy.
Goldberg # 360 are aluminum, will take the 1.5mm carbon rod, and weigh .849 grams each.
Dubro # 845 Mini EZ connectors are also aluminum, weigh .331 Grams each, but have a .032 hole, so they need a wire end and heat shrink on the end of the carbon rod...add that weight and you get a total of .539 grams.
All of the connectors require drilling the servo arm hole to .063 thousands using a number 52 drill bit and a pin vise...something every modeler should have in their shop, not an exacto blade in the hole...we need a good fit here.
My vote would be the Dubro # 845 as the retainers are nylon and can be removed if needed and they are the lightest.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:14 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,230 Posts
I put the ones I have on the site with the 1.5mm hole on the scale and they are .8g (my scale doesnt do fractions). They are heavier, but the 1.5mm pushrod fits in snug. The other benefit is that I have them in stock and can get them wholesale in bulk. The Dubro do sound ideal, but I'd have to pay retail. Still without my computer so I can't easily put up pics.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:29 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,230 Posts
I put one on the scale without the 2 washers (which i dont use) and it dropped to .7g. Seems reasonable drill size is a bit bigger than a 50, i believe it is a 48.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:39 PM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,142 Posts
A number 48 bit is .078" hole. I also believe that a connector on the servo arm will have less slop than a Z-bend..even if it is tight
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:48 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,230 Posts
A 49(.073) is the sweet spot, it's a nice fit. My son has been bending the z and v bends for extra spending money.. He hates the v-bends. He'd be happy to see me go to the connectors.
Site Sponsor