HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:46 PM
Registered User
3flyguy3's Avatar
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,392 Posts
Build is going well. The key, I learned, is to take your time. Last time I was in a rush and the plane was crooked. This time no hurry.
I got my batteries today. Hooked up the electronics and Wow!!! 3S is so much more powerful than 2S! This is going to be fun. I can't wait!! Oh, wait, that's excitement. Let me calm down so I can build this thing properly.
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:59 PM
WickedFunRC's Avatar
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3flyguy3 View Post
Build is going well. The key, I learned, is to take your time. Last time I was in a rush and the plane was crooked. This time no hurry.
I got my batteries today. Hooked up the electronics and Wow!!! 3S is so much more powerful than 2S! This is going to be fun. I can't wait!! Oh, wait, that's excitement. Let me calm down so I can build this thing properly.
Haha, I've built many a crooked planes while burning the midnight oil so I could go fly it in the morning.

I like flying both 2S and 3S depending on the mood I'm in.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:21 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Get Real's Avatar
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,991 Posts
Got a couple of flights in with the slicko during the evening. Relaxing flight.. still have to get the hd hat cam set up dialed in though .

RCPlaneBuilder.com Slicko EPP 3D Plane Calm Flying (3 min 53 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:47 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2011
12 Posts
looking to get two Slicko EPP's.. Any idea when they will be back in stock?
dalesum is offline Find More Posts by dalesum
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:03 AM
Registered User
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,154 Posts
before the batteries, I bet.
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:58 AM
WickedFunRC's Avatar
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalesum View Post
looking to get two Slicko EPP's.. Any idea when they will be back in stock?
Hey dalesum, I'm doing testing on variations of wood and carbon fiber to come up with the best combo so I can just sell one common kit rather than maintaining 2 versions. I'll have it all sorted out this weekend. In the meantime the wood ones are in stock.

The final kit will be the wood version of the plane with an optional kit to include the carbon lead edges and wing struts for a bit more money. The wood kit fly's excellent without the optional kit and is extremly durable.. I've put a bunch of flights and crashes on mine. The carbon lead edges in the optional kit add even more durability and when combined with the wing struts makes the wing very rigid at the expense of a little weight of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxnut View Post
before the batteries, I bet.
Sorry about the delay on the batteries.. My supplier told me a fib on when they were actually shipped. Great company, but they are nervous about losing my business.

The batteries are in now but I'm doing some testing on the new 35C 350,450 and 600 cells. If all goes well I'll have them on the site tomorrow or Sunday.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Last edited by WickedFunRC; Jul 13, 2012 at 12:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:34 PM
Registered User
Pesty351's Avatar
Tyndall AFB FL
Joined Oct 2009
169 Posts
Something else you might be interested in trying instead of carbon struts. You can experiment with spider wire flying wires. When rigged right they are very strong a weigh practically nothing. Thats what I'm using on my tail and wings right now and don't have much if any flex.
Pesty351 is offline Find More Posts by Pesty351
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 01:27 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2011
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khen View Post
Hey dalesum, I'm doing testing on variations of wood and carbon fiber to come up with the best combo so I can just sell one common kit rather than maintaining 2 versions. I'll have it all sorted out this weekend. In the meantime the wood ones are in stock.

The final kit will be the wood version of the plane with an optional kit to include the carbon lead edges and wing struts for a bit more money. The wood kit fly's excellent without the optional kit and is extremely durable.. I've put a bunch of flights and crashes on mine. The carbon lead edges in the optional kit add even more durability and when combined with the wing struts makes the wing very rigid at the expense of a little weight of course.
Khen,

Thanks for the quick response.. I'll wait for the full carbon version your testing, that's what I'm looking for. I need all the strenght i can get for harrier roll pratice!!!
dalesum is offline Find More Posts by dalesum
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 03:00 PM
WickedFunRC's Avatar
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalesum View Post
Khen,

Thanks for the quick response.. I'll wait for the full carbon version your testing, that's what I'm looking for. I need all the strenght i can get for harrier roll pratice!!!
You bet! should be up tomorrow if all goes as planned.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesty351 View Post
Something else you might be interested in trying instead of carbon struts. You can experiment with spider wire flying wires. When rigged right they are very strong a weigh practically nothing. Thats what I'm using on my tail and wings right now and don't have much if any flex.
Good idea, I'll have to give spider wire a try. I've done similar in the past with dental floss. The only problem I had was in the winter here the EPP contracts and the wires become loose. I have used a light weight bowsie before for quick tensioning. I'll give that a try too.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:18 PM
Registered User
3flyguy3's Avatar
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,392 Posts
For those who run both 2S and 3S, how are you mounting the batteries? Velcro? Two different size cut outs? Where are you mounting? Side of fuse? Thru the fuse? Top or bottom?

What about the receiver and esc? Are you mounting both on one side or as directions state one on each side?
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:26 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Get Real's Avatar
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,991 Posts
All of the above.. Once i get the balance to my liking i cut a slot for the packs i have the most of(440-460 2s). Ofcourse that doesn't leave you many options if you later decide you want to run larger packs for added flight time or 3s packs and maintain the same balance point etc so i have velcro mounted as well. Velcro is easy and gives you plenty of options for different size packs,only downside is lateral balance is slightly off usually.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:50 PM
Registered User
3flyguy3's Avatar
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
All of the above.. Once i get the balance to my liking i cut a slot for the packs i have the most of(440-460 2s). Ofcourse that doesn't leave you many options if you later decide you want to run larger packs for added flight time or 3s packs and maintain the same balance point etc so i have velcro mounted as well. Velcro is easy and gives you plenty of options for different size packs,only downside is lateral balance is slightly off usually.
Thanks! What about the receiver and esc? Where did you mount them?
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:58 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Get Real's Avatar
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,991 Posts
Your welcome,I mount the rx and esc on the opposite side of the lipo(usually mount the lipo on the right side of the fuse)the rx and esc usually dont weigh as much combined as the lipos used in small 3d foamies but it gets the lateral balance closer to neutral.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2012, 01:11 AM
Registered User
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,154 Posts
I have not got the battery placement finaled yet, as I am waiting for Khen to get the new ones in stock. When I get those, both 2s and 3s, I will get them close with a light velcro, then glue on a "plate" the size of the battery made out of .015" x 3ply plywood as a hard point to mount good velcro to. The 2s battery will be slightly tail heavy, and the 3s will be slightly nose heavy...nothing I can't live with.
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:50 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Wow that was fast, I placed an order for a Slicko about 3PM Thursday and it's sitting behind me right now as I speak (Utah to New York). Since Kevin offered the sale on the carbon kits to those who were interested back in June when they were out of stock I contacted him at the last minute for one. Then I found out he was holding off on the carbon kits for a little while and testing a new hybrid version. He was nice enough to offer me the carbon upgrade (wing struts, wing fences and leading edge carbon strips) for free with my wood/epp kit.

It may be a few weeks before I get it flying due to a couple parts I bought for it elsewhere being backordered. At least it'll give me a chance to plan out the paint job I'm going to do with it and take my time getting most of the building done.

Thanks again Kevin for all the help and thank Andria for the tootsie rolls.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Twisted Hobbys - Telink 3D Buster EPP Bipe Build Thread, Flight Video just posted!!!! aerofundan 3D Foamies 564 May 08, 2014 07:16 AM
Build Log Mile High R/C Winners Model 49" EPP Yak 55m Build Thread funflyr 3D Foamies 38 Jul 12, 2012 04:33 PM
Toccata 3D EPP Complete Build Thread Magnum9 3D Flying 59 Mar 04, 2006 01:45 AM