HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:59 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,962 Posts

Slicko view from E-Fest.

E-Fest 2013 View From The Air (3 min 50 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Farm Flying
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:13 AM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
Get Real, what kind of camera is that? Where did you get it? What is the cost? I've been looking to put one on my Slicko, but there are so many out there, I have no clue what to buy.

Nice video!

Thanks
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:02 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,962 Posts
Slicko Cam

Its an old 808 key chain cam. They have a couple newer 720 HD versions with a few lens options that would shoot much better video than mine(its a few years old). At about 15g's with case its light enough for all sorts of aircraft and you can remove the case and shrink wrap it to get under 10g's as well or lighter and remove the battery and run off rx power etc,I leave the case on most of the time though. You can get them all over the place,just do a google search. Price will vary depending on if it comes with the little sd card and if its the older or newer HD version...$10-$40 typically.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Farm Flying
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:17 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,230 Posts
Not sure what camera that was but I use this one
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...13&postcount=2
It's the 808 keychain camera version # 16. There are cheaper versions of this camera and they share the same case, you can't tell the version from looking at it, you can only buy it from a trusted seller like the one listed in the above post. This camera shoots HD video and works much better than the cheaper ones. I post most but not all of my video in HD here, some are just posted as regular large file and are not as crisp. https://vimeo.com/whirlcap if you want to see the quality. The camera is the size of a small car key alarm fob and weighs 18 grams. It can also be bought with different lens options, the "D" lens is wide angle and best suited for video from your plane, if you want to shoot video of your plane from the ground, go with the regular lens, it will look much too far away with the wide angle "D" lens. All my video is the regular lens.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:58 AM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,381 Posts
Whirlcap, all those videos on vimeo are shot with a key chain cam? Nice.
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:29 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jul 2007
249 Posts
My first one is almost done, what's s the receiver of choice on the Slicko
graniteguy is offline Find More Posts by graniteguy
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:34 PM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,142 Posts
anything under 6 grams in weight...GWS Pico, "Orange 2.4 four channel" or the orange six channel with the plastic case removed, Berg Micro Stamp....ect
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:52 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jul 2007
249 Posts
Thanks Maxxnut,
I have a AR 6100 that is 4 grams with the lite plastic case I think by removing the plastic it should be around 3.5 g
graniteguy is offline Find More Posts by graniteguy
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:07 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3flyguy3 View Post
Whirlcap, all those videos on vimeo are shot with a key chain cam? Nice.
Yes, every one of them is the same camera. Some of the older videos have the shift to grey sky effect that was cured with one of the firmware updates a while back. I really hated that and I am glad it was fixed. Another bright side to the #16, they keep improving it and the upgrade is free. What more could you ask from a 40 buck camera? Takes great video and still cheap enough to risk in combat video
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:30 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,230 Posts
Today's Slicko flight video. We had three Slicko's up at once today, had to watch ourselves from crashing into each other. Enjoy.
Foam Dance (3 min 36 sec)
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:43 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,230 Posts
More Slicko video.....

Here is one from yesterday at the park...
Whirlcap's 3D Flight Progress (3 min 13 sec)
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:37 PM
lost in the addiction of flyin
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Dec 2009
757 Posts
your flying skills are improving dramatially with that plane whirly, nice job. its amazing what a good stable plane thats nearly indestructable can do for you. i noticed my flying improved alot as i got used to the plane as well.

your little helper is going to need a plane in a year or so too.
furballll is online now Find More Posts by furballll
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:31 PM
RC keeps me sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
Here is one from yesterday at the park...
http://vimeo.com/59854604
Fantastic quick learning improvement in flight.
The only thing that needs fixing is I can hear in the video you're "twanging" your sticks.
Your finger(s) should never leave your sticks. Pushing, pulling and letting go should be avoided. If you expect to fly low and slow keep your sticks under your finger control at all times. Just a little constructive criticism, great flight.
microDan is offline Find More Posts by microDan
Last edited by microDan; Feb 17, 2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:11 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microDan View Post
Fantastic quick learning improvement in flight.
The only thing that needs fixing is I can hear in the video you're "twanging" your sticks.
Your finger(s) should never leave your sticks. Pushing, pulling and letting go should be avoided. If you expect to fly low and slow keep your sticks under your finger control at all times. Just a little constructive criticism, great flight.
Thanks, criticism is actually welcome. I too have heard the "twang" from the video's and only realize I do it from watching. I have thought it was likely a bad habit myself. I'm not a stick pincher but all thumbs . So far I have not really abused the airframe and have only planted some firm landing plops and one minor cartwheel and have yet to damage anything. The Slicko is great, it makes me look much better than I actually am. Going to work on my stick control now before it becomes too hard to fix. I have a cheap flight sim controller and program, should be real good for that. Would also be useful for refining things now that I am comfortable with the real life stuff. I don't fear crashing or loss of control at all anymore.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:29 PM
RC keeps me sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
Thanks, criticism is actually welcome. I too have heard the "twang" from the video's and only realize I do it from watching. I have thought it was likely a bad habit myself. I'm not a stick pincher but all thumbs . So far I have not really abused the airframe and have only planted some firm landing plops and one minor cartwheel and have yet to damage anything. The Slicko is great, it makes me look much better than I actually am. Going to work on my stick control now before it becomes too hard to fix. I have a cheap flight sim controller and program, should be real good for that. Would also be useful for refining things now that I am comfortable with the real life stuff. I don't fear crashing or loss of control at all anymore.
whilrcap,
I'm glad to hear you welcomed it and heard it also.
I'm a thumber and have never pinched. Thumbing makes it much easier for me to be faster on the sticks and bang away in all directions.
Get your plane lower and slower or in a tail touching hover & throw in a slow torque roll and you'll see your thumbs will never or at least should never leave the sticks. The lower and slower you go there is less room for error. The Slicko is just a wonderful plane all around. Forgiving, durable and fully capable of anything you throw at it. My bigger 39", 44" & 48" 3D planes are even better as you get bigger it just gets better & better.
microDan is offline Find More Posts by microDan