Professional Pixel Flyer....
United States, VT, Weathersfield
Joined Dec 2005
363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxnut View Post
waiting for the video..
+1

Also, I am highly interested in what kind of materials you can cut with that silhouette cameo your wife has, so far it looks like the perfect stencil cutter!
RightcoastRC is offline Find More Posts by RightcoastRC
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:33 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightcoastRC View Post
+1

Also, I am highly interested in what kind of materials you can cut with that silhouette cameo your wife has, so far it looks like the perfect stencil cutter!
It cuts great stencils. I didn't do a great job of keeping them flat and tight though. They look good but it was mostly hand held and hit with a rattle can, not the best way to do it . To me, it's a foamy and just getting some color on it was good enough.

The Silhouette however is very cool. The wife makes very nice things out of mostly paper. It will cut up to light card stock, like greeting cards, not the stuff at the end of a note tablet though. You can make stickers and the cutter will hold markers, draw, then in a second step, cut them out. I'm sure it will cut monokote but have not done it yet. You can also print in another printer, then cut it out in the silhouette as long as the print was sent from the Silhouette software, it knows were to cut.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:01 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,257 Posts
Got to maiden today and what an awesome plane! So gentle yet still flys as aggressively as you want! I was doing thigs I didn't think I could do, I'll be ready to go indoors at our small low ceiling gym in no time! Shot video of the maiden and the next couple flights. Here is the maiden and second flight
Wicked Fun Hobby's Slicko 3D (2 min 49 sec)
Last edited by whirlcap; Feb 06, 2013 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Added video
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:37 PM
Where did that tree come from
United States, SC, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2010
1,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
Got to maiden today and what an awesome plane! So gentle yet still flys as aggressively as you want! I was doing thigs I didn't think I could do, I'll be ready to go indoors at our small low ceiling gym in no time! Shot video of the maiden and the next couple flights. I will try to edit that up and post this evening.
kid at 55 is offline Find More Posts by kid at 55
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:00 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,257 Posts
Third flight... by a pro...

Here is the third flight, this time my friend Bill is on the sticks. I'd like to claim it's me though .
Third Flight Of The Slicko 3D (2 min 15 sec)
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:53 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Great build and flights whirlcap, looks like you're getting it down. Great idea on the cameo stencils too.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:45 AM
Where did that tree come from
United States, SC, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2010
1,477 Posts
Great job Whirlcap. We can't get a break with the weather around here.
kid at 55 is offline Find More Posts by kid at 55
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:49 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,257 Posts
Forgot to mention my AUW came out at 8.2 oz 6.9 without battery, is that about normal for this one? Using the extra CF kit and gear kit too.

I'm still new to 3D (as far as being able to fly them anyway) and I am curious how different the 4 or 5 oz depron and film planes fly in comparison? Are they easier or harder to fly?
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:29 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,029 Posts
Thats ball park for auw,about 7.5oz to 8oz is typical depending on attention spent on the build and ofcourse power set ups used with the carbon kit. I built the plane white slicko kit with average gear and it came in at just slightly over 7oz. Before the slicko became a kit i cut one out of 6mm epp and it was about 4oz rtf. Ive flown 4-5oz depron planes,there is a very noticeable difference in flight with a milled 3mm depron plane compared to a 9mm epp plane but if you can keep the weight very low on a epp plane the gentle floaty flight you get from a depron plane can be achieved with epp. The precision and crisp feel in the air of a 3mm depron plane is difficult to match though.. much more drag and ofcourse more weight with epp usually but its a trade off in designs.. epp is fun all day and if you crash you laugh and pick it up and fly again. Depron doesn't have the durability of epp but flys noticeably better but you usually have repairs if it hits the ground. A lighter plane is easier to fly and it floats rather than sinks like a brick but epp planes are fairly light as well. Lighter planes will give you more time to react as well and are basically like flying in slow motion compared to mid size 48'' balsa planes.

Messing around with a light slicko 2 proto,trying outdoor and indoor power set ups.

Slicko 2 Proto Outdoor And Indoor Power (4 min 45 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:51 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,257 Posts
Thanks for the input. Nice indoor flying there . A bit tight for my skills though outdoor was cool too. I was watching on my iPad in bed and the wife asks me "what's that noise?" And I point the screen toward her and say "he's flying his Slicko in the kitchen". Without missing a beat she says, "not married" ROTFLMAO
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:06 AM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,171 Posts
Sometimes a "man cave" is the whole house.
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:53 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
Thanks for the input. Nice indoor flying there . A bit tight for my skills though outdoor was cool too. I was watching on my iPad in bed and the wife asks me "what's that noise?" And I point the screen toward her and say "he's flying his Slicko in the kitchen". Without missing a beat she says, "not married" ROTFLMAO
LMAO,tell her my girlfriends have always been supportive of the hobby,and i suggest all guys do some house flying to sharpen there flying in tight spaces and give her a wink . Not the first time a woman has commented about me house flying but im sure if i was married and had all kinds of nic nacks and stuff around here id be in trouble if i busted fancy little figurines and and girly stuff . I also use to ride mountain bikes in my apartment and here so it gets even worse then epp planes flying inside .
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:58 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,029 Posts
E-Fest Today

Slicko At E-Fest 2013 With The Lovely Lana.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:11 PM
United States, UT, Tooele
Joined Jul 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
LMAO,tell her my girlfriends have always been supportive of the hobby,and i suggest all guys do some house flying to sharpen there flying in tight spaces and give her a wink . Not the first time a woman has commented about me house flying but im sure if i was married and had all kinds of nic nacks and stuff around here id be in trouble if i busted fancy little figurines and and girly stuff . I also use to ride mountain bikes in my apartment and here so it gets even worse then epp planes flying inside .
I have to say, in our house Kevin, and our three sons are always buzzing around with paper planes, helicopters, epp planes. You name it! I have never had to yell the words "No playing ball in the house" At our house it's "Stop buzzing around, it's driving the dogs crazy!!

Also one of our sons is big into BMX and has his bike in the house at all times! He rides it down stairs and keeps it in his room. I didn't think it was a big deal until a friend of mine came over and noticed my son sitting on his bmx watching TV in the front room and said "Wow you let your kids bring their bikes in the house"

She has all girls at her house so I just laughed and said you have no idea what goes on around here..Wait til Kevin get's home to chase ya with his planes
khenswife is offline Find More Posts by khenswife