Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:33 AM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,151 Posts
Furball, you are only a hundred miles north of me....
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:14 AM
lost in the addiction of flyin
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Dec 2009
767 Posts
more like 500 but ya were not to far apart, your by arlington. if you take hwy 20 go to hwy 97 and go north you go right threw kelowna. you going to be at the nw model expo? what are the dates of it?
furballll is offline Find More Posts by furballll
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:04 AM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khen View Post
Looks like you have another Slicko girl in your avatar. We need to get a Slicko in there somewhere(not blocking the view of course ).
Yeah, but you have got to make the picture larger when you add the Slicko. Need to get a better view.
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:05 AM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,151 Posts
Northwest Model expo...

http://www.nwmhe.com/

I will be there....entrapped by the swap meet
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:04 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
So what was the comment about a new motor?
Is the current Slicko power pack about to be outdated/upgraded?
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:50 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
So what was the comment about a new motor?
Is the current Slicko power pack about to be outdated/upgraded?
Yep, we'll have a new power combo within a week.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:52 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxnut View Post
Northwest Model expo...

http://www.nwmhe.com/

I will be there....entrapped by the swap meet
Sounds like fun.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:25 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,388 Posts
I've been flying on 3S and 8" prop but now that it's indoor season I switched to 2S for nice, slow, floaty flight. My question is should I prop UP to 9" prop or stick with 8"? Will 9" give me slower flight? What difference will/should I notice between 8" and 9" prop?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:49 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,978 Posts
Depending on your outrunner and packs going to a 9'' prop will do the following. A larger prop gives you a larger disc of thrust.. this provides more prop wash over flight control surfaces which helps with slow flight and still maintaing good control response while the wing is stalled. A larger prop is more efficient at moving air but it also has some side effects like more p-factor and more torque roll. Throttle response will feel a bit different since it takes more energy to spin a bigger prop but it also makes more thrust at lower rpm's than a smaller prop. Prop pitch is more relevant to flight speed for the most part and wingloading is more relevant to slower flying without stalling the wing but generally a larger prop makes it easier to manage throttle response more precise and helps when flying slower for adjusting throttle input.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:19 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
Depending on your outrunner and packs going to a 9'' prop will do the following. A larger prop gives you a larger disc of thrust.. this provides more prop wash over flight control surfaces which helps with slow flight and still maintaing good control response while the wing is stalled. A larger prop is more efficient at moving air but it also has some side effects like more p-factor and more torque roll. Throttle response will feel a bit different since it takes more energy to spin a bigger prop but it also makes more thrust at lower rpm's than a smaller prop. Prop pitch is more relevant to flight speed for the most part and wingloading is more relevant to slower flying without stalling the wing but generally a larger prop makes it easier to manage throttle response more precise and helps when flying slower for adjusting throttle input.
Please explain:
P-factor
Wing loading
Prop pitch is more relevant to flight speed

The rest makes sense. Thanks!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:00 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,978 Posts
P-factor in simple terms is the tendency of the plane to want to yaw left in high alpha or vertical flight. Hence why on many larger planes there is a considerable amount of right thrust built into the firewall to offset the effect of p-factor. On small 3d foamies a little right rudder trim usually takes care of that.

Wingloading.. The wing area is constant and doesnt change,everbodys slicko has a 32.5'' wing.. Some may fly with lighter set ups or more powerful heavier set ups,increased weight in a plane increase's wingloading.. The heavier the plane the faster it must fly to maintain flight.. the lighter the plane the slower it can fly without stalling the wing and dropping out of the air. Same principles as full scale planes.. a cargo plane without any cargo needs less speed,less runway to take off and can fly at slower speeds without dropping out of the air. Fully loaded carrying 30% or more of the planes actual weight will require a faster take off,longer runway and greater cruise speed to keep it from falling out of the sky because its carrying more weight= Increased wing loading.

Prop pitch.. Planes and boats both use prop changes to achieve the same things cars do by changing gearing. Smaller higher pitch prop= higher rpm and more top speed,larger prop with less pitch=more low end power and acceleration.. This is providing you use the same cell count but generally if using the same diameter prop like a 8x4.3sf and a 8x6sf the 8x6sf with more pitch will have more top speed. Generally a 14x7 and a 15x6 will be very close in performance overall but in that instance your changing both diameter and pitch.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:44 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,388 Posts
Good stuff.

What's the difference between SF and DD prop?
If I should PM or start a new thread (or search) let me know. Didn't mean to hijack. Just trying to better understand how my Slicko performs or make it perform better.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:49 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,978 Posts
Here or PM is fine or you can start a thread and get others views on these subjects and there pros and cons etc, SF=Slow fly style props,thinner blades,more surface area,more efficient at slower rpm applications. DD= Direct drive style props.. heavier,thicker,more durable,work well in higher rpm applications and more similar to common electric props for larger planes.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:17 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,388 Posts
Direct drive is what I run on my jets I assume. 6x4 and 6x5.5. And as I think about it they are thick compared to the sf props. It's starting to click.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:33 PM
┌∩┐(⋟﹏⋞)┌∩┐ The FAA
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khen View Post
Cool, I'd like to see pictures of your sfg arrangement. The V1 Slicko does do nice KE too.

I have not, but I sure will. Looks like you have another Slicko girl in your avatar. We need to get a Slicko in there somewhere(not blocking the view of course ).

I have a 22" Yak with a 9g motor, 2.5 gram servos with a lightened RX and ESC and parallel 1s 160mah mini packs. and it flies nice at 60g AUW. It's 5mm 1.9# EPP too

It's tough to break a Slicko.
Hey, here's my simple SFG's
nightfox7 is offline Find More Posts by nightfox7