HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:12 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khen View Post
The ones I sell are the Dura-Thrust. Did you ream out the prop in the small center hole some so that the extended shaft doesn't bind on the prop when you bend the prop over? It should be able to flex back on either side with just the resistance of the bands.
That looks like its going to do the trick. Too bad I didn't do that before I broke two props this morning trying to KE to close to the ground. But hey it's no fun practicing waaaay up in the sky. Guess I'm off to order a bunch more props. I don't think 3 in my stash is enough. Maybe I'll throw in a receiver for my foam pusher jet build. HK is taking way too long delivering my order. Thanks for the tip.
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2012, 02:27 AM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
United States, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Feb 2010
833 Posts
alright,
that's not fair. kevin your gonna have to come down here to san bernacesspool so we can fly-n-roast too. i am just now starting my not sicko slicko i got. since i'm a big fan of modifying stuff, i thought i'd look and see who was doing one and sure enough here's maxxnut forging through the unknown, going where no man has... wait, sorry

hello maxxnut,
i didn't see any wing mods listed but, i don't see reeeaal good anyhow, i've got a piece or two of 4mm square carbon tube and kevin told me the wood was about 2x heavier than the carbon (i'm guessing 3mm round) but, with the wood you didn't need additional bracing but then your not supposed to do wide open tumbles with profile epp planes either. have any of you modded the bracing any?

thanks,
michael clyde
mchldpy is offline Find More Posts by mchldpy
Last edited by mchldpy; Aug 20, 2012 at 02:31 AM. Reason: ...'cuz i wanted to
Old Aug 20, 2012, 02:31 AM
Hoarding balsa is a sickness
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,198 Posts
My son flew his new yellow bird yesterday...loves it..4 packs yesterday, 2 more this morning, hovering by the 3rd pack and by the 4th pack he was catching it mid-air...video to follow soon.
I now have 5 charge / discharge cycles on pack #1 and it feels like it has some good power, hovering at half throttle with the 1900 kv motor and 8x4 DD prop, 4 minute flight takes it to 3.85 volts = 50 %
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old Aug 20, 2012, 02:41 AM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
Joined Feb 2010
833 Posts
since i quit using blenderm on hinges i now use it on the backside of my props, and i still use thin ca on a small piece4 ofvelcro for hubs that are off. any body got a "better idea" for out of balance hubs, especially on apc... "almost perfectly centered" props?

michael clyde
Old Aug 20, 2012, 03:12 AM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,198 Posts
Michael, good to hear you are building one also, here is my thoughts on wing spars, and Khen can chime in also....

Both of my kits had the FLAT carbon strips in the wing, one near the center of the wing, and the other glued to the leading edge for crash protection. These spars are 5 mm by .6 mm which works out to be "point 200 by point zero 25 of an inch ( .200 x .025 ). what the wood kit has is a piece of wood for the main wing spar and no leading edge carbon. The wood spar is about equal to the 2 carbon spars it replaces in weight, and in addition to that, the wood spar also takes the load that the round carbon struts also held, so overall, there should be a net weight saving. We need to remember the basis for using EPP is that it absorbes energy ( those darn crashed ) by flexing and bouncing, and if you make things too ridgid, all of that crash energy MUST go somewhere else on the airframe....someplace that is already doing it's "job" of absorbing some of the crash energy, and now by making something more ridgid, you have increased the loads to another part that just can't take it and you break. I have dropped this bird on it's tail, watched the rudder bend over it's self, and survive...can't argue with that. Please don't use a square, or round carbon for a spar in this plane...tooo heavy and tooo ridgid. Khen has put lots of thought and good old trial and error into this plane, and I would be hard pressed to find a way to make it better, and I have been at it for 50 years.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:03 AM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
Joined Feb 2010
833 Posts
since this is your first time working with epp and your first 3d plane it seems you have some minor misconceptions about 3d and expanded polypropylene . the way tooo heavy carbon you speak of is 1.5 grams heavier than the wood and not way too stiff, maybe 10 -15% stiffer according to my non-laboratory atmosphere. i use it frequently in my 32" yaks and 32" edges all of which will not tumble at the 6.5 to 7.5-8oz auw recommended range. all that will happen is you'll develop tears in the leading edge at the root, which you're going to get anyway if you learn how to 3d unless you apply thinned goop or thinned welders, quick grip etc... to the aforementioned area and glue down some bi-directional tape. the adhesive gives the epp some resiliency that it needs and the bi-directional tape will not tear. if you've ever tried to tumble or do moderately stressful maneuver a lightly setup epp plane you would wince.
the 1.5 grams of extra wing weight and the 3g heavier motors (that provide twice the thrust that the "wonder" motors do) i use on these are still not quite enough to increase my "forward momentum" needed to complete some of the more advanced stunts. light is definately better if all your going to do is hover and rolling harriers, heavy is no good, period. i did not know the alternate carbon pieces were flat, for the leading edge yes, but as a wing spar...wood would be better t5han flat unless it was 1mm thick x 5 or 6mm wide and that is only going to give strength in the direction the thin side is oriented towards, i seen khen put extra carbon into every control surface above what the plans called for, because it suited his style of flying andf mine , especially since i'm a "chronic over-builder" except on my buckhuck which inherently has enough "forward propellant" already.
good luck on your new style of flying and the new medium your doing it with

michael clyde
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:35 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Hey Michael, welcome to the Slicko thread! The carbon strip as a spar is used in conjunction with the wing struts/fences and lead edge carbon. This combo makes for a very rigid wing with practically no twist or flex and keeps weight to a minimum it's also very durable. The carbon strip spar alone without the struts does have wing twist. Some people were intimidated or did not like the extra complexity of the struts so that is why I went to the wood spar with the optional carbon fiber reinforcement kit. The 1/8" thick wood spar limits twist in the wing. For easier installation I prefer the wood spar over a round carbon tube. I no longer embed carbon fiber in the control surfaces for 9mm EPP planes. I find they are fine without it. I do for 6mm EPP planes however.

BTW, If you can get a picture of how you balance your hubs I'd like to see that. See you in san bernacesspool for the roast.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Last edited by WickedFunRC; Aug 20, 2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:43 AM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,198 Posts
Michael, I guess I made a incorrect guess as to your level of flying, and I posted my opinion thinking you might be like a friend of mine that built a 12 oz 3D plane and a 26 oz Slow Stick..he just could not get enough bracing and epoxie on those birds. I would like to know what motor you are using, on 2 or 3 cells, and your servos, metal gears or not. Also looking foward to pics of your wing mods, ect. AND a video of your tumbles, cause I also fly stuff that is not floaty, like a quickie 500 with a Fox Eagle 60 on a pipe ( that went through a chain link fence ). I will say that my Slicko with the carbon struts is very ridgid, almost to the point of being equal to a balsa wing, and after a friend, "G.B." flew it, his first comment was he liked it more than his P.A. Addiction, and ordered 2 kits.
One more question for you, are you Michael Wargo in disguise ??
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:17 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
Joined Feb 2010
833 Posts
hey mista rcplanebuilder,
i can't think of who it was right this minute, but it was a customer of yours who was making fun of my south teXas slang accent and i told him when i talked to you the other day and heard that thick drawl coming out of you it surprised me. when i think of utah i think of tooele army dump or all the knats around the lake NOT some hick. you might not be a real hick though, you don't live in a trailer but, i do like the view of your back 40, nice
i've got the video on a h/drive somewhere where it shows the method i use for balancing hubs . i'll hunt it down for you.
btw - that last bag i got from you didn't last very long , at all, even though that was the biggest bag i've ever gotten . i'm afraid to mention it outloud because it might cut in to my ration. i've got to go fly beforew it gets over a 100 .

later,
michael clyde
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:44 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
Joined Feb 2010
833 Posts
hey maxxnut,
you were correct thinking i might be like your buddy. i attend obanon, over builders anonymous at least twice a week, maybe more if i feel a spell coming on. since i don't have a sponsor (cause that's just the way i roll) when i go to a meeting there are always guys outside selling black market epoxy and under the table tape and stuff and when i come out i usually score and then go home and fix or mod something. i tell you it's a vicious cycle.
the motors i use on these 32 -32.5" foamies is the tigermotors (now called t-motors) is the t-2008 at just 3g's heavier than the 24g blue wonders you get... more for less

here's a pic of the specs

gotta go fly,
michael clyde

oh yeah, not a wargo, just a dis-placed south teXas smart-buttocks redneck living in this septic tank without-a-lid they lovingly call san bernardino, 92404.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 02:06 AM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,198 Posts
I finally got around to posting the video of my son's first flight with his yellow slicko...up to this point he has been flying the Vapor, Polecat, and the Beast. We are in our back yard and the plane stayed in an area 100 feet square ( the fence is 212 feet long). Neighbor's dog wanted it, and a full scale was overhead. Need the volume all the way up to hear us over the dog and Lycoming. Now he is bugging me to keep battery packs charged. 7.4 oz all up with the 460 Nano-Tec 2 cell.
Can you tell that he pitches 100 lb. bales of hay ?? don't let him get you in a bear hug !!
and ya, we are a couple of country hicks.....

Slicko first flight (1 min 37 sec)
Last edited by maxxnut; Aug 21, 2012 at 02:12 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:37 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Tell your son great maiden flight! I have a neighbor dog that sounds just like yours and she wants to eat my plane too. Oh, and there ain't nothing wrong with country hicks..
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:42 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchldpy View Post
hey mista rcplanebuilder,
i can't think of who it was right this minute, but it was a customer of yours who was making fun of my south teXas slang accent and i told him when i talked to you the other day and heard that thick drawl coming out of you it surprised me. when i think of utah i think of tooele army dump or all the knats around the lake NOT some hick. you might not be a real hick though, you don't live in a trailer but, i do like the view of your back 40, nice
i've got the video on a h/drive somewhere where it shows the method i use for balancing hubs . i'll hunt it down for you.
btw - that last bag i got from you didn't last very long , at all, even though that was the biggest bag i've ever gotten . i'm afraid to mention it outloud because it might cut in to my ration. i've got to go fly beforew it gets over a 100 .

later,
michael clyde
haha.. I have a lake front property complete with mosquitoes and all... livin the dream.
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:59 PM
United States, UT, Tooele
Joined Jul 2012
17 Posts
Love seeing the Yellow Slicko flying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxnut View Post
I finally got around to posting the video of my son's first flight with his yellow slicko...up to this point he has been flying the Vapor, Polecat, and the Beast. We are in our back yard and the plane stayed in an area 100 feet square ( the fence is 212 feet long). Neighbor's dog wanted it, and a full scale was overhead. Need the volume all the way up to hear us over the dog and Lycoming. Now he is bugging me to keep battery packs charged. 7.4 oz all up with the 460 Nano-Tec 2 cell.
Can you tell that he pitches 100 lb. bales of hay ?? don't let him get you in a bear hug !!
and ya, we are a couple of country hicks.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybSeTrVskUA&feature=plcp
It is so great to see more Slickos out there flying! Love seeing the yellow one") I have to say that living in the country is the dream..crazy barking dogs and all!!

Thanks for sharing the video.
khenswife is offline Find More Posts by khenswife
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:44 AM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,198 Posts
I let my older son fly my blue Slicko tonight, and he was hovering by the 2nd battery pack, wants me to build him one....this is bringing the total of local "slickos" to near a dozen...a few more and we cook the hot dogs and have a fly-in !!