HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:27 AM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,118 Posts
I have the Top Flite magnetic balancer, but the shaft is .125 thousands, and won't fit the slow fly series props. Is there another balencer that has a smaller shaft ?
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:42 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,904 Posts
Im sure thats a much more accurate prop balancer than what i use but the one i have was fairly inexpensive and served double duty since i bought it when i was still flying helis. Im using an align balancer for 450 size blades and smaller,its fairly simple but requires a bit of set up to use.. ideally a couple razor blades on a stand would probably work best for using it. Each end is tapered so it works on larger props as well and ive used it to balance 19''-20'' props on bigger planes in the past to.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:51 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,210 Posts
It's crude, but I just use a piece of carbon rod to balace my props. I'll break down and get a balancer one day.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:02 AM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,252 Posts
Good to know. I'll remove the balancer from my shopping cart and put that money on more batteries and props. I'll deal with balancing when I get bigger balsa planes.
3flyguy3 is online now Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:28 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,210 Posts
Here is a video by tallguysd on balancing props using the same technique that I use. Not as precise as a lower friction balancer I'm sure, but good enough for these small plastic props IMO.

How to balance a plastic Prop (3 min 44 sec)
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:52 AM
Gravity always gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,344 Posts
Pretty good video. I found somewhere here on RCG, long ago that using clear spray urethane on the back of the lighter side also works.

I have had to sand the back of the heavy side to prevent adding too much urethane, but this has worked very well for me.

If you do this, get the quick drying type. If you put too much on and that side becomes the heavy side, wipe it off before it dries.

I have not used the tape method, I assume it works well as I see mentioned it allot.
helicow is offline Find More Posts by helicow
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:26 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,210 Posts
Sanding is nice because you're shedding weight vs adding it. But I've been using tape lately. The clear paint is a good idea.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:56 PM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,118 Posts
I just returned from our flying field with the Slicko, and there was a member there with an "Addiction" 3D plane. He also flys inside at our church. I let him fly the Slicko, and he was spot on with it after 10-15 seconds. Was a real pleasure watching my bird fly around in a true 3D fashion with somebody at the sticks that knows what he is doing...gives me hope. We agreed on 2 things..first, it is a learing curve based on how many battery packs you fly through, and second, I believe he will be ordering 3 or 4 kits, power combos, ect. because other members were also there and watched me stuff it into the grass, pick it up and toss it again. Hope you get the unpainted kits in stock again soon. More batteries will be ordered also... a dozen or so. I also made it half way around today doing a rolling circle...woot !!
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:25 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxnut View Post
I just returned from our flying field with the Slicko, and there was a member there with an "Addiction" 3D plane. He also flys inside at our church. I let him fly the Slicko, and he was spot on with it after 10-15 seconds. Was a real pleasure watching my bird fly around in a true 3D fashion with somebody at the sticks that knows what he is doing...gives me hope. We agreed on 2 things..first, it is a learing curve based on how many battery packs you fly through, and second, I believe he will be ordering 3 or 4 kits, power combos, ect. because other members were also there and watched me stuff it into the grass, pick it up and toss it again. Hope you get the unpainted kits in stock again soon. More batteries will be ordered also... a dozen or so. I also made it half way around today doing a rolling circle...woot !!
Awesome you're getting the rolling circles! Once you get the stick rythm down it comes quickly. The Slicko is a great roller, very forgiving. I'll have some more white Slickos done this weekend. Thanks for demoing it at the field.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 17, 2012, 06:19 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,587 Posts
Mines almost built. Nice work BTW. Looking forward to it and my brother is just about ready to start his.
stevelmaa is offline Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old Aug 17, 2012, 06:29 PM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,118 Posts
Stevelmaa,

Just counting the numbers here, I have 2, a friend has 1, you have 2, the guy that flew mine today and his 2 friends will make another 3, and I am sure that there is, or can be, some that would come out of the thread about the 3D flyers near Renton...we could have a dozen or more meet at one spot for a "Slicko Sunday and Hot dog roast" The end of September might be a date to shoot for. How many Slicko's in the air at one time ???
I am not too far north of you BTW....
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:10 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,587 Posts
Hey Maxxnut, did'nt even realize you were local. I only have one, got my little brother in Iowa hooked on foamies so he bought one also. We have quite a few 3D Flash Mobs at Marymoor throughout the Year. Usually can be followed in the 3D threads under the Seattle/Renton title. Would love to see everyone you could bring from up north sometime. Usually after 2 PM the 3D guys usually dominate the field. Always a good time and a great bunch of people flying anything from foamies to gassers.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:31 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,210 Posts
I'd love to see a gaggle of slicko in one place. Do take pictures and video of this event.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:44 PM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,118 Posts
Here is a link to the fleld I fly at....several hundred acres, and on the non-mowed area around the runway is clover and grass that is 10 inches high, called green chop, for the cows.

http://www.aercf.org/

I flew at "Scary-Moore" back in the 70's, not too sure about it now...
Got the motor and ESC mounted in the boy's plane today, getting real close.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:06 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,587 Posts
Very nice field Max. I am done for the day. Get the servo rods, motor mounted, and esc and batt. placed tomorrow and I'll take her up tomorrow or early Sunday Morn. Should come out to 7.8 oz's. I did not put any paint on mine, just bars on the bottom for orientation and did a canopy. Wanted it as light as I could.