HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:03 PM
Hoarding balsa is a sickness
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,199 Posts
The kid and I got all of the servos mounted, linkages built, servos centered, end point adjustments, total throw, dual rates, expo, yada, yada, ect. then GF came over...to be continued. I will not let him fly mine, to motivate him to get it done.
maxxnut is online now Find More Posts by maxxnut
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:04 AM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
The prop saver seems to be working fine with my props. Just broke my first prop (prop struck a fence under throttle). Still on my first latex band (though it is showing some wear).

Had a few more crashes but no damage aside from the prop. Gradually getting a little more bold in the backyard and a lot more comfortable with it.
Did you shorten the shaft on your motor?
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Aug 16, 2012, 02:56 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3flyguy3 View Post
Did you shorten the shaft on your motor?
No my motor is unmodified. I just loosened the screws on the prop saver a bit to help fit the props. If you bought your 2205c from Kevin though then you don't need to do that since he includes longer screws on his. I'm using GWS 9x5 DD props with the back of the hub sanded down a bit to help it fit securely on the prop adapter and just one latex band on it.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:09 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
I did get my motor from Khen and am using the yellow bands. When my prop hits too hard it breaks. It doesn't "break" loose of the prop saver/motor to save the prop.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 04:13 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quote:
I did get my motor from Khen and am using the yellow bands. When my prop hits too hard it breaks. It doesn't "break" loose of the prop saver/motor to save the prop.
What props are you using?
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Old Aug 16, 2012, 06:22 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
What props are you using?
I'm using whatever Khen sells.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 06:37 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
There are several types of props,the two most common used in small epp 3d planes are gws sf(slow fly) and gws dd(direct drive). The sf style props especially the original gws ones are nice but not very durable.. after a while and many flying epp planes and either splitting the props or bending them near the hub new hd style sf props started popping up that are quite a bit more durable. I'll snap some pics or shoot a quick vid but determining the exact type of prop your using would help.. if its a gws original sf style you could switch to the dura thrust and probably would have less issues with prop breakage or even eliminate it all together.. the heavy duty style sf props are durable but WOT prop strikes to metal,cement etc can still cause damage.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2012, 06:46 PM
Hoarding balsa is a sickness
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,199 Posts
Hey Khen, how about a few good pics of the new green plane ??
maxxnut is online now Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:02 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Some pics of the two most common style props for the small epp 3d planes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:07 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
GWS SF sounds right. I don't even recall hearing Dura Thrust before today. So I'm pretty sure it's the SF. I'm not looking at the props now but if the SF is the smaller of the two (Dura Thrust & GWS) in the pic I'm almost 100% positive it's the SF I have.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:23 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
GWS props will say in small letters on one blade GWS and on the other blade there size in small numbers 8x4.3/9x4.7 etc(this goes for both gws sf and dd props). Dura thrust props look similar to gws sf props but are molded with more material around the hub and thicker blades so there quite a bit more durable(and a little heavier),if you look at the third pic i posted with the gws and dura thrust prop youll also notice the gws blades are rounded some what where the dura thrust is slanted at the tips. Heres a link to the dura thrust props. If you still have your invoice for your order it should have a description of the props you currently have as well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:40 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
GWS SF sounds right. I don't even recall hearing Dura Thrust before today. So I'm pretty sure it's the SF. I'm not looking at the props now but if the SF is the smaller of the two (Dura Thrust & GWS) in the pic I'm almost 100% positive it's the SF I have.
The ones I sell are the Dura-Thrust. Did you ream out the prop in the small center hole some so that the extended shaft doesn't bind on the prop when you bend the prop over? It should be able to flex back on either side with just the resistance of the bands.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Last edited by WickedFunRC; Aug 16, 2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:51 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxnut View Post
Hey Khen, how about a few good pics of the new green plane ??
I've been wanting to assemble one to see it myself, hopefully I'll get to it soon. I really like the green.

I've sold a handful of them, maybe someone reading can post some pictures?
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:01 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
@ Get Real, thanks. I responded from my phone earlier and it's a pain viewing the mobile version, but I checked my account history moments before I saw that Khen already responded. So, yes, it's the DuraThrust I have.

@ Khen I haven't reamed them out yet. I'll try that this weekend.

One question: how important or needed is it to balance these props?

Thanks all.
Last edited by 3flyguy3; Aug 16, 2012 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:07 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Prop balancing can have very noticeable effects or very minimal,weight of the prop and how badly out of balance it is from the package being contributing factors. Noise and vibration is very noticeable when a prop is really out of balance. 9x5dd props are considerably heavier than a 8x4.3 gws sf prop and those are usually the style of props i end up balancing more often.. the gws 8x4.3 sf props i occasionally balance if there really out of balance in flight. A balanced prop is more efficient and makes less noise but also consider one good ding or chip of the prop will require you to re balance it again. Ideally you want all your props balanced but if there not to bad out of the package and your flying is aggressive or carefree and your still putting planes into the dirt quite a bit and have to replace props regularly it might not be worth the effort to balance them unless there really bad.
RCG Plus Member