HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 03, 2012, 04:27 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Get Real's Avatar
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,955 Posts
Went to do a car demo again and brought the slicko with,people really dig epp foamies that have never seen rc planes i guess. Had a few people come up and ask ''Whats it made of'' ''How far can it go'' ''How much are they'' ''Where can i get one''. Did a lot of show and tell and put in a few flights between running the cars and hitting the ramps.

Cruisin Nights Rc Demo In Westmont (3 min 11 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2012, 12:06 AM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Got mine just about finished, tomorrow I just need to mount the motor, esc, receiver and trim everything out and I'll be pretty much set for a maiden. Tomorrow may be a little too windy and Sunday is going to be rainy/windy so I may not get a chance until early/mid next week. I added carbon bracing between the horizontal and vertical stabilizers to stiffen things up even more and left off the landing gear until I get some time on it. I'll take some pics once it's all together tomorrow (not very pretty but it's my first build).
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 04, 2012, 12:30 AM
Registered User
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,141 Posts
I get excited at a first build, it let's me ponder what I am going to do on the next one
maxxnut is online now Find More Posts by maxxnut
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 04, 2012, 02:16 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Get Real's Avatar
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,955 Posts
Got the Aoxing AX-2205C 25g 1500KV on the slicko,will get some flights in outdoors over the weekend.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:53 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Get Real's Avatar
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,955 Posts
Got a couple flights in with the Aoxing AX-2205C 25g 1500KV outrunner.. plenty of power on 3s and smooth powerband. Was nice to fly longer lines than in the yard but it was a bit bumpy at times with the wind.


Slicko EPP 3s Flights At Lake (4 min 5 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 04:18 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
All finished, just waiting for some nice weather to maiden. At the moment it looks like it'll be Tuesday.

In case anyone's wondering, my plane weighs in at right about 8oz (used a cheap plastic food scale to measure so take it with a grain of salt) with the following setup:

GWS 9x5 direct drive props (had to sand down the back of the hub to get them to fit on the prop adapter).
2205c 1400kV Motor (used HXT500 mounting screws to attach to firewall)
Hobbyking BlueSeries 12A ESC
HXT900 aileron servo (extended servo arm wouldn't fit so I drilled the arms and screwed them together)
HXT500's for rudder & elevator
Orange R610 (replaced orange case with heat shrink)
Turnigy nano-tech 2s 460mah battery

I'm surprised it didn't weigh more considering I used up the whole tube of welders building it. Did a basic power test and it seems to have good thrust (felt like it wanted to hover at a little over 1/2 to 2/3 throttle).

Here are some pics of it. You can see where some of the paint rubbed off in places as well as shows through the hinges. I painted the rest of the wing spar and elevator stiffener white (used apple barrel acrylic paint from walmart, $0.57 in the crafts section, the white paint doesn't actually stick out quite that badly in person) and the firewall black. The orange is Krylon Short Cuts - Glow Orange (some walmarts carry krylon short cuts for less than $3 but I had to go to joann's since walmart didn't have orange), it took 2 cans to do this paint job.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Last edited by Rayne; Aug 05, 2012 at 04:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:04 PM
Registered User
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,141 Posts
Simple and effective paint job, best of luck on the first flight.
maxxnut is online now Find More Posts by maxxnut
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:18 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxnut View Post
Simple and effective paint job, best of luck on the first flight.
Thanks, after checking out the spray painting thread over in the 3D Flying section I was tempted to try some more elaborate stencil work with highlights but figured I'd keep things nice, simple and cheap for my first paint job. Can't wait to get out and maiden it.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2012, 02:26 PM
WickedFunRC's Avatar
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
Got a couple flights in with the Aoxing AX-2205C 25g 1500KV outrunner.. plenty of power on 3s and smooth powerband. Was nice to fly longer lines than in the yard but it was a bit bumpy at times with the wind.
Great flight Get Real, and beautiful backdrop too! The Aoxing AX2205C will eat up some sky on 3S when you want it too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
All finished, just waiting for some nice weather to maiden. At the moment it looks like it'll be Tuesday.

In case anyone's wondering, my plane weighs in at right about 8oz (used a cheap plastic food scale to measure so take it with a grain of salt) with the following setup:

GWS 9x5 direct drive props (had to sand down the back of the hub to get them to fit on the prop adapter).
2205c 1400kV Motor (used HXT500 mounting screws to attach to firewall)
Hobbyking BlueSeries 12A ESC
HXT900 aileron servo (extended servo arm wouldn't fit so I drilled the arms and screwed them together)
HXT500's for rudder & elevator
Orange R610 (replaced orange case with heat shrink)
Turnigy nano-tech 2s 460mah battery

I'm surprised it didn't weigh more considering I used up the whole tube of welders building it. Did a basic power test and it seems to have good thrust (felt like it wanted to hover at a little over 1/2 to 2/3 throttle).

Here are some pics of it. You can see where some of the paint rubbed off in places as well as shows through the hinges. I painted the rest of the wing spar and elevator stiffener white (used apple barrel acrylic paint from walmart, $0.57 in the crafts section, the white paint doesn't actually stick out quite that badly in person) and the firewall black. The orange is Krylon Short Cuts - Glow Orange (some walmarts carry krylon short cuts for less than $3 but I had to go to joann's since walmart didn't have orange), it took 2 cans to do this paint job.
Thanks for the information Rayne. I really like the florescent orange paint work.

One nice thing I've just discovered is that you can purchase 4S sized brass washers from lowes and push them into the backside of the HD props. The petruding shaft on the AX2205 will fit in there nicely without having to sand the hub. That way you can use either the HD or SF props, quite handy. I'll get some pics and post them soon.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Last edited by WickedFunRC; Aug 06, 2012 at 02:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2012, 02:44 PM
WickedFunRC's Avatar
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,220 Posts
Axoing AX2205 with HD props

Here are some pictures of me using #4S washer from Lowes as an adapter on the Aoxing AX2205C Motor to fit the HD 7mm prop hubs. I still need to test this thoroughly, but it's a nice way to be able to use both the Slow Fly and HD props on the same motor with a fixed 5mm hub. The prop still has some give so that the prop saver is still effective. It's a snug fit on the motor so it can remain there until you want to use a SF prop. It might even be better to press a few of the washers onto the shaft.

Edit: When first putting on the prop it may shave a bit off plastic off. It's best to pull the prop back off and clear the shaving off the inside of the prop and any that might be on the washer so that the prop sits flush on the hub.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Last edited by WickedFunRC; Aug 06, 2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Rewording.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:09 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khen View Post
Here are some pictures of me using #4S washer from Lowes as an adapter on the Aoxing AX2205C Motor to fit the HD 7mm prop hubs. I still need to test this thoroughly, but it's a nice way to be able to use both the Slow Fly and HD props on the same motor with a fixed 5mm hub. The prop still has some give so that the prop saver is still effective. It's a snug fit on the motor so it can remain there until you want to use a SF prop. It might even be better to press a few of the washers onto the shaft.
Thanks for the tip! I may have to try that out sometime, could save me a bit of work in the future. Might have a shot this evening at a maiden, charging up the batteries now.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:14 PM
WickedFunRC's Avatar
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Thanks for the tip! I may have to try that out sometime, could save me a bit of work in the future. Might have a shot this evening at a maiden, charging up the batteries now.
Great, looking forward to your flight report.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:48 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Got back from maiden. Nice flying weather, steady breeze around 5mph. I was surprised at how maneuverable it was on low rate. I flew it like that for a while then when I got to the next battery I decided to try upping the rates. When I tried to flip the rates switch up it wouldn't budge. To my surprise I discovered I had been flying on high (100%) rate the whole time . It wasn't much of a handful at all, no crashes or anything. Granted I was using 70% expo and going easy on the throttle. I like how slow and floaty it is on 2s, it seems kind of hard to get into trouble with it (guess I have to push it harder ). It still has plenty of authority though, rolls are nice and quick. I even tried hovering a few times (sloppily). Didn't really need much trimming, just a little adjustment to the elevator. I was flying around high alpha most of the time (it seems to like that quite a bit). Landing (if you want to call it that) was as simple as easing off the throttle then yanking back on the elevator and watching it stop midair and flop on the ground harmlessly. Fun little foamy.

One tip for those building, when putting together the control rods you may want to build them just a tad bit short. My control surfaces ended up drooping a slight bit after I put mine together. Perhaps pin the control surfaces up slightly. Then again it could have been the CA I was using.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Last edited by Rayne; Aug 06, 2012 at 09:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:34 PM
Registered User
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,141 Posts
See...control surface sag...good argument for the adjustable linkage talked about a while back. Mine is doing the same. Also remember the amount that EPP can change due to temprature too, or ANY slop in the control horn holes and wire. A little slop in an 049 bird did not matter too much, but at 45 degrees of travel, it does matter.
maxxnut is online now Find More Posts by maxxnut
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:48 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxnut View Post
See...control surface sag...good argument for the adjustable linkage talked about a while back. Mine is doing the same. Also remember the amount that EPP can change due to temprature too, or ANY slop in the control horn holes and wire. A little slop in an 049 bird did not matter too much, but at 45 degrees of travel, it does matter.
Yes either that or an extra couple of adjustable z-bends for the elevator and rudder in addition to the ailerons would be nice.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Twisted Hobbys - Telink 3D Buster EPP Bipe Build Thread, Flight Video just posted!!!! aerofundan 3D Foamies 564 May 08, 2014 07:16 AM
Build Log Mile High R/C Winners Model 49" EPP Yak 55m Build Thread funflyr 3D Foamies 38 Jul 12, 2012 04:33 PM
Toccata 3D EPP Complete Build Thread Magnum9 3D Flying 59 Mar 04, 2006 01:45 AM