HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:32 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,036 Posts
No problem,i was slightly off on the 2s pack weights when i posted earlier..was going from memory of when i weighed them quite a while back when i still had a healthy size velcro strip attached to the 2s packs so the difference is slightly over a few grams but it flew well with the 3s 370s in the same slot i cut for the 2s 440-460 packs.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:55 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Just got all my parts today, a pleasant surprise, much sooner than I expected. Now I got to get off my butt and go get some paint for it so I can get started with the build. With luck I'll have mine built by Wednesday or Thursday. It's nice to know what to expect weight-wise since the only scale I have is a cheap plastic food one.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:07 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Hey 3flyguy3, what paint did you end up using for the orange on your slicko?.
I used Rustoleum 2X
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:18 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Looks like I missed some great posts while I was out yesterday.

Nice maiden n00b! I'm still a 72mhz guy too, though I've about pulled the trigger several times on a 2.4. I just can't seem to want to let go of my Polks Tracker III.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:49 PM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,191 Posts
Rayne, when you paint EPP, the paint will always look like it didn't cover very well, resist the urge to keep putting on more to get a "showroom shine"...it won't happen. Just put some color on it and call it good...weight builds very fast with paint.
maxxnut is online now Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old Jul 30, 2012, 02:22 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
3flyguy3,i run 50% expo on high rates usually(45 degree plus throws) and 25-30% expo on low rates,usually 30 degrees throws or what looks about right. High rates should be set for about 45 degrees of surface throw on most 3d foamies,expo amount used is a personal preference,some may use more or less than i do with the same high rate throws. To much expo makes a plane feel mushy in the air.. less precise and not as quick to respond.. to little expo on high rates and a plane is overly sensitive to small stick movements and very twitchy in the air. Ideally most will want a plane to be gentle and smooth to small imputs yet quick and responsive when full stick movements are applied. Low rates are a gentle comfy zone.. still enough throw for loops and rolls and aerobatic type flying but a bit more relaxing on the sticks for the pilot and usually a safe zone for those new to 3d planes that have flown sport flyers etc and are not quite use to having 45 degree throws and massive pitch,roll and yaw authority in a plane. Hope that helps.
Makes perfect sense. Thanks a bunch!
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:05 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxnut View Post
Rayne, when you paint EPP, the paint will always look like it didn't cover very well, resist the urge to keep putting on more to get a "showroom shine"...it won't happen. Just put some color on it and call it good...weight builds very fast with paint.
Thanks for the tip. I got a can of krylon short cuts instead of the rustoleum and I'm only going for a simple 1-color pattern that covers about 2/3 of the plane so that should help to keep the weight down.

Going to go glue the horizontal sections together now.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:27 PM
One more flight...
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Aug 2008
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khen View Post
Looks like I missed some great posts while I was out yesterday.

Nice maiden n00b! I'm still a 72mhz guy too, though I've about pulled the trigger several times on a 2.4. I just can't seem to want to let go of my Polks Tracker III.

Thx kev, I do have a dx6i back home in the uk, but in the us i purchased a fut 7 cap 72mhz for $45 from rcuniverse classifieds about 18 months ago just to keep me going in the usa, and hasnt missed a beat.
it does way more than the dx6i, has inherently better range, and for 75% cheaper than a new 2.4 system, and now that everyone has switched to 2.4, theres practically 0% chance of interference from another fm user.
That being said, good little plane u have here and will be waiting patiently for other models :P (no pressure)
n00ber420 is offline Find More Posts by n00ber420
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:36 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Do you guys think this would be too hard to do with sharpie? Or would it be managable? I can spend hours if necessary. This would be my scheme on the white slicko.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:47 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
Do you guys think this would be too hard to do with sharpie? Or would it be managable? I can spend hours if necessary. This would be my scheme on the white slicko.
I've seen some pretty elaborate work done with sharpies. I've done a few sharpie schemes myself in the past. That scheme you're considering would be awesome.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:34 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Got done painting one side. It turned out pretty well I think (considering I'm new to it). Unfortunately I accidentally got paint dust all over by handling it so it's got a tint of color in lots of spots where it ought not be, that stuff is messy (it wasn't wet if that's what you're thinking, it had plenty of time to dry). Started on the other side and ran out of paint so I'll have to wait for tomorrow to pick up a new can and finish my work. I like that krylon short cuts dries pretty fast and doesn't weigh too much (though the paint dust is a bit messy as I've said). Painting is definitely a lot of work but it's pretty satisfying and you get a unique looking plane (for better or worse ).

I cut out dollar tree foam to use as masks (no fancy 3-color fading or anything, just very basic curves/lines). One nice tip I discovered (though it probably has been suggested before) is if you want to reuse the same mask for the opposite side but don't want any paint rubbing off onto the plane, simply peel the paper off (it comes off rather easily) and viola, fresh new surface. It also warps the foam inward towards the unpeeled side which I like since I can just plop a weight down in the middle and the sides all stay down.

I might take pictures tomorrow evening after it dries. If not I'll snap a pic once it's all put together.
Last edited by Rayne; Jul 31, 2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:27 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Rayne, Try using some nail polish remover on the spots where you got some accidental paint. Might not take it all off, but the acetone in it should remove most of it. Another $ Store goodie to keep around!
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:41 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZglider View Post
Rayne, Try using some nail polish remover on the spots where you got some accidental paint. Might not take it all off, but the acetone in it should remove most of it. Another $ Store goodie to keep around!
I've got some acetone. I'll give that a try after I'm done with the second side, thanks.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:25 PM
United States, IN, Danville
Joined Mar 2007
381 Posts
slicko

hi Kevin on the aoxing motor do you cut off the excess shaft? and do you use the 84/3 on 3 cell outside? thanks
corsair214 is offline Find More Posts by corsair214
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:34 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair214 View Post
hi Kevin on the aoxing motor do you cut off the excess shaft? and do you use the 84/3 on 3 cell outside? thanks
Hey! I don't cut off the extra shaft. I slightly ream the SF props so that the shaft is a loose fit. I like to keep the extra shaft on so that I can run our 9050HD prop on 2S without an adapter (see pics). Other wise it requires a 5mm to 7mm adapter. I do use the 8043 on 3S, nice power!
Site Sponsor