HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2012, 02:17 PM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,171 Posts
Build Log
Slicko EPP 3D build thread

Just recieved two kits of the new "Slicko EPP 3D" foamy kit from Kevin at RC Plane Builder, here is the link to his kit on the website:
http://www.rcplanebuilder.com/index....ex&cPath=16_42

I will build the kit with pictures, and I might stray from the excellent online instructions that are posted in PDF from his site, but this is my first time working with EPP. I will be weighing each componet as I use them, and I will be omitting the landing gear as I will be flying in my back yard.

My building surface is quarter inch tempered glass for this build, however, any nice and flat surface can be used keeping in mind that some pieces of waxed paper will be needed to keep any glue from getting on your build surface, or having to use a MUCH larger motor to fly the plane with the attached building surface riding along. The glue of choice for this build is "Welder's" and that can be bought from Kevin also. It is a form of contact cement, and is just the cat's meow for this type of foam, but NOT Depron !!

The kit is shipped inside a sturdy box and the parts are inside a re-sealable plastic bag. This is a very well thought out kit ( I have the painted, carbon version), and I actually spent about an hour just looking at the really nice job that was done to make this plane really easy to build. ALL of the control surfaces are hinged with Goop glue and very sturdy, the cutting of the foam is spot on and true, all of the carbon pieces are pre-cut to length as is the wire ends for the push rods, heat shrink tubing, control horns, and motor mount plywood. There is a long arm for the aileron servo and velcro for the battery. On my kit, all of the carbon spars were glued in place, so the plane is ready to build....nice !!

There might be a gap in time for me to post from one stage to the next due to normal life around my house, but I will do my best to get this done quickly. I am 59 years old, and wanting to learn this crazy "3-D" flying thing, and will be looking foward to this plane being the right tool to learn on. Here is the kit in the bag and on the table.
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
Last edited by maxxnut; Dec 19, 2012 at 11:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2012, 03:56 PM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,977 Posts
Watching,.....
No Step is online now Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Please visit my Hangar,.....
Old Jun 29, 2012, 04:25 PM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,171 Posts
I used a 36 inch straight edge and marker pen to draw a line on my glass top as a reference line and will align all of the rectangle cutouts in the flat pieces during gluing to assure a straight build. I weighed the wing, nose, middle and elevator pieces, all with the carbon installed, and then weighed them together for a total. I glued the wing, body, and elevator first to get the longest componets making a straight line, attaching the nose last. Thanks to Kernel Corn and Sweet Peas for their help in holding everything down. Waxed paper under the glue joints also.

Welder glue applied to each surface, press the parts together, seperate for 2 or 3 minutes and re-attach for the final bond. Let stand for 20 minutes and you are done. "Its just that easy".
Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:07 PM
Canada, AB, Grande Prairie
Joined Jul 2011
34 Posts
Building one of these myself, plain white version. I'm up to the top fuse. No problems so far. Opting to use hot glue over the welders glue. I did use welders for glueing in all the spars then I applied hot glue over top of the welders.
perry3182 is offline Find More Posts by perry3182
Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:25 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks for starting a build thread maxxnut! Pictures look great and your shop looks AMAZING!
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:03 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread, very informative. Trying to rack up some money for one of these myself right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry3182 View Post
Building one of these myself, plain white version. I'm up to the top fuse. No problems so far. Opting to use hot glue over the welders glue. I did use welders for glueing in all the spars then I applied hot glue over top of the welders.
Which version are you building, the carbon or the newer wood one? If carbon, how easy was installing the tail reinforcement and have you built a plane before?
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:22 PM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,171 Posts
Sorry for the reflections of the overhead lights, my shop is well lighted.
Moving on to the lower body, I dry fit it to the wing assembly to check for proper fit in a fore and aft direction. I want the front of the lower body to be exactly even with the side cheeks of the nose piece to make sure that when the plywood motor mount ring is installed, there will not be any misalignment issues causing up thrust or down thrust. When properly fitted, the plane will stand on it's own. Lower body weighs 12.7 grams.

I applied the glue to the front, back and sides of the "tabs" on the lower body piece, then applied more glue to the straight area that will contact the wing, pressed the parts together, pulled apart for 3 minutes and reinstalled, paying close attention to keeping it straight with the help of the Jolley Green Giant.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:38 PM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,171 Posts
Next is mounting the wing fences. Measure out on the wing from the body 6 inches and draw a line to locate the fences, and box in the drawing. The fence will be one half inch from the leading edge of the wing. Do the "glue-stick-pull-wait-install" procedure making sure the fences are parallel to the body. Keep everything weighted down to keep flat. At this point, the plane weighs 82.0 grams, and the glue used so far is 1.4 grams of that 82.0
Last edited by maxxnut; Jun 30, 2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:09 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Nice. Hopefully I get mine ordered this weekend. Trying to decide on the red wood or plain white wood. The yellow one is nice. Do they still make/sell that one?
I'll be watching this.
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:18 PM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,171 Posts
flyguy3, I don't know what Kevin has in stock, but send an e-mail to him and you will find that he is very willing to work with you. I have ordered foam yesterday and other stuff, and might make one from scratch from 6mm stock.
I forgot to link to the PDF instructions, sorry.... between those and this thread, there should be no problems with a build of the Slicko.

http://www.rcplanebuilder.com/downlo...structions.pdf

The "fiddiley stuff" tomorrow....
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:35 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Sent an email right after I posted and Kevin has already responded!
Nice!
Last edited by 3flyguy3; Jun 29, 2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 01:28 AM
Canada, AB, Grande Prairie
Joined Jul 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread, very informative. Trying to rack up some money for one of these myself right now.

Which version are you building, the carbon or the newer wood one? If carbon, how easy was installing the tail reinforcement and have you built a plane before?
I have the carbon version in white. Have never built a plane before but have repaired lots of epo/epp birds. If you are referring to the tail/skid stiffener I pushed it in as per instructions and glued it basically on the outside of the rest of the tail. I considered pushing through the foam so it would be "inside" out of sight. Decided against that as at some time I may run landing gear and the spar would act as a tail skid keeping the damage down on the foam. Basically looks like the instruction picture on page 10. The vertical stabalizer was easy.

So far the entire build has been straight foward. Got the servos in and the ailerion push rods installed. Only hiccup I had was with the shrink wrap on one of the rods that didn't hold. I ended up Ca'ing the whole rod shrink wrap all together on the rest of the plane and will do the rudder and elevator as well. Little bit extra peice of mind.
perry3182 is offline Find More Posts by perry3182
Old Jun 30, 2012, 02:43 PM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,171 Posts
Mounting the wing support rods is not hard to do, just takes a little planning. Gather up the 4 carbon rods that are 13 inches long by 1.5mm and put points on the ends of each rod using a sanding block, dremel, or a bench grinder. The 4 rods weigh 3.4 grams. Using a square, find a point directly above the wing spar and make a mark 3/8ths of an inch down from the bottom of the body, then cut a 1/4 inch slot all the way through the foam. Poke all 4 rods into the lower body and lay them on top of the wing fences to get an idea where the rods will contact the wing.

At this point I did a video on Youtube that tells the rest, but I made a couple of goofs...do not put any glue on any of the rods where they pass through the body until they are glued into the wing and wing fences, and I actually used a round tooth pick to get the glue into the foam after each rod was in place, just apply glue and roll the carbon rod into the glue.

You will also see in the pics below that I did one rod to the leading edge, followed by the next rod on the opposite side to the trailing edge, followed by the opposite procedure for the last two rods, leaving the rods unglued where they meet at the body, that will be glued last. Don't for get to use your veggies to keep everything flat, and set the body straight after you put glue on the rods where they pass through the body

Video:
SAM 0959 (4 min 45 sec)
Old Jun 30, 2012, 03:43 PM
United States, IN, Danville
Joined Mar 2007
376 Posts
slicko

hi got a red one coming can't wait to build it!!! kevin is a great guy to do business with . will be buying another slick..a blue one
corsair214 is offline Find More Posts by corsair214
Old Jun 30, 2012, 05:58 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair214 View Post
hi got a red one coming can't wait to build it!!! kevin is a great guy to do business with . will be buying another slick..a blue one
I'm jealous. Sold out before I could get my order in. I want a yellow one.