HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:09 AM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Scale View Post
Spelling thanks for that post I feel the same way. It's great that so many enjoy these models as they are out of the box, but as a member of the Fraternal Order of the Scale Police I'm glad that some like Tom have the interest and ability to take them further.

Tom what brand of gesso primer are you using?
The Bob Ross. http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/...-gesso-208777/
Tom Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Tom Hunt
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:59 AM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,322 Posts
well, I have not been blessed with much time this xmas break to work on the BF-109. but here is what I have gotten done.

I installed the elevator and rudder pushrods in the fuselage. I did not change where the rudder pushed exited the fuse, but I did the now single elevator pushrod. it exits farther aft and required a slight bend to get to the horn without binding. good and solid action from both.

I also very much hate the exaggerated panel lines (many of which are wrong) so I began to fill them too. (mixture of elmers wood putty and gesso primer)
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:42 PM
United States, NY, Baldwinsville
Joined Mar 2009
250 Posts
Subscribed
phatbob02 is online now Find More Posts by phatbob02
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:24 PM
United States, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined May 2004
1,541 Posts
Hey Tom, Woody here.
Got a question regarding gesso. How much does it add to the dent resistance of foam ??
W. X. Davis is offline Find More Posts by W. X. Davis
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:30 PM
United States, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined May 2004
1,541 Posts
Hey Tom, Woody here.
Got a question regarding gesso. How much does it add to the dent resistance of foam ??
W. X. Davis is offline Find More Posts by W. X. Davis
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:33 AM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by W. X. Davis View Post
Hey Tom, Woody here.
none... its just a high solids, water soluable primer.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:01 AM
Los Angeles, Ca.
Joined Jun 2010
315 Posts
Mr. Hunt...

Two questions;

First, why do you not believe in right thrust? I'm sure you have a aerodynamically accurate reason being a Grumman engineer. I ask because not putting in right thrust would solve a couple of problems I'm dealing with in a couple of models that are still on the horizon (not from Horizon).

Second, as a Grumman, what do you think of the Dynam Hellcat that is coming out. Looks like a good canvas to me...

I hope your new year is going well so far. I of course, wait perhaps not so patiently for the next installment of this thread since you "do 'em right".

Oh, and I guess there's a third question, Have you seen pics of the new Hanger 9, 109f? I saw it in person last week at the AMA expo and it's excellent. It looks better in person than it does in pictures.

Cheers Then,

Sperling
Sperling234 is offline Find More Posts by Sperling234
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:07 AM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sperling234 View Post
Two questions;

First, why do you not believe in right thrust? I'm sure you have a aerodynamically accurate reason being a Grumman engineer. I ask because not putting in right thrust would solve a couple of problems I'm dealing with in a couple of models that are still on the horizon (not from Horizon).

Second, as a Grumman, what do you think of the Dynam Hellcat that is coming out. Looks like a good canvas to me...

I hope your new year is going well so far. I of course, wait perhaps not so patiently for the next installment of this thread since you "do 'em right".

Oh, and I guess there's a third question, Have you seen pics of the new Hanger 9, 109f? I saw it in person last week at the AMA expo and it's excellent. It looks better in person than it does in pictures.

Cheers Then,

Sperling
Sperling
I do not believe in right thrust for two good reasons.

There is not a full scale aircraft I know of with right thrust (including all ww2 warbirds). Those full scale aircraft that try to mitigate the P-pactor yawing moment do it with either offset vertical fins (a few degrees offest LE to the left) or a cambered vertical tail (instead of a symmetrical section) (BF-109)

Right thrust is a band-aid for those that do not know how to use the rudder properly, and this is only for the first few moments of roll-out in a tail-dragger aircraft. Nose gear aircraft, where the model sits with thrust line level, do not need right thrust.

I reserve judgement on the Dynam Hellcat until I see one in person. from the pics though, it does look reasonably faithful. Though saying that, I was thought so too of the FMS and that one had a grossly oversize vertical tail and a slightly undersized horizontal tail!

Yes the pictures of the H9 BF-109 do show some rather glaring flaws, but these models were not meant to be "loaded" with scale details and to be factory accurate.

Tom
Last edited by Tom Hunt; Jan 19, 2013 at 07:12 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:53 PM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,322 Posts
a little more... very little

Hi Guys

since I had a mid-afternoon dentist appointement and when I got home, needed something to do while the novicane wore off, I got back to the 109 for a while. I shortened the ailerons to scale span and added to the flaps. The flaps were extended with 5lb/cuft polyurethane foam and balsa. sanded to match.

I plan on actuating both flaps (radiator flap and aero flap) from a single servo under the radiator flap. More on that later.
Last edited by Tom Hunt; Feb 05, 2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:03 PM
Soli Deo Gloria
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Jan 2012
167 Posts
Some really great work. I am looking forward to following your progress.
GhostStone is offline Find More Posts by GhostStone
Old Mar 29, 2013, 03:55 PM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,322 Posts
update 3-29-13

now that a diversion is done (PZ MK9 to MK1a) I'll get back to this soon.

Tom
Old Jan 26, 2014, 05:51 PM
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Oct 2001
2,324 Posts
Any updates??
gbruce is offline Find More Posts by gbruce
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:22 AM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbruce View Post
Any updates??
Other more pressing projects have taken me away. I should get back to it in about a months time when I finish a scratch built Arado AR-240 (no build thread, sorry)

Tom
Old Feb 22, 2014, 05:31 PM
already ruff, trying for ready
Joined Apr 2011
43 Posts
While waiting/hoping for this thread to resume....

Is there anywhere this model can be purchased as a kit, without electronics?
Ruffin Ready is offline Find More Posts by Ruffin Ready
Old Feb 23, 2014, 05:54 AM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,322 Posts
I checked all the local suspects in the us, Diamond, banana and Motion and none for the kit... sorry.

It will probably be about another month before I get back to the 109 as I won't stop working on my AR-240 until it is done.

Tom